Toshiba 27A42 vs. JVC AV-27D302 - yet another "Which one should I buy" thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Saurav, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

OK,

I cringe when I see "should I buy this or that" threads, so of course, what do I do? Go start one myself. From all the reviews I can read, both of these are considered excellent sets at their price points, so I can buy either and rest assured that I'm getting a lot of vaue for my money. I'm much more of an audio guy than a video guy, so I'm not too well versed in the finer technical details, and I also believe I wouldn't notice them as much. The TV will replace a dying 20" or so Zenith, and will be used exclusively for DVD, I don't have cable/dish and don't intend to get it any time soon. Audio performance is not important, and obviously PIP/commercial skip/fast channel scan/similar features are completely irrelevant.

They both have component inputs, neither can do the 16:9 squeeze without going into the service menu, the JVC is 600 lines and I can't find that information for the Toshiba. I don't have any store nearby where I could see both side-by-side, and I don't trust my senses to make a realistic comparision by seeing them in two different stores, with the associated setup problems.

So..... if anyone has experience with both and picked either one, I'd love to hear why. If one of them actually does have better picture quality than the other, please let me know. If anyone has any other general advice (reliability? configurability? other factors that I haven't thought about? and so on), please feel free to chime in too.

If it stays at a toss-up, I'll go with the JVC, because it's $20 cheaper, and I'd rather buy from a small A/V dealership with pleasant sales staff than Best Buy.

Thanks in advance,

Saurav

2. Dan V

Dan V Stunt Coordinator

When I decided to buy a 32", I was all set to get a Toshiba when I saw the JVC's. I compared them side by side and thought the JVC had better color and better defiition. I bought the JVC and the only complaint I have after a year is having to access the service menu to do the anamorphic squeeze. Other than that I couldn't be happier.

3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Thanks. It's reasonable to expect a similar comparision in the 27" models too, right? Which JVC did you end up buying, if you don't mind sharing? The 302, the 502, or something else?

4. Dan V

Dan V Stunt Coordinator

The 302. I really don't need pip and the 302 series had everything I needed. If you are looking for a 27", you might want to add the Samsung Dynaflat series to your list to compare. It has a flat screen,component inputs a beautiful picture, and can do the squeeze from the remote. Sams Club carries the Akai clone( same tv, branded as an Akai ) for $379

5. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Hmm... I didn't know there were Sam's Club stores in California. The nearest is still pretty far away, but... is this the Akai CFT2790? I've seen it mentioned here many times, but I thought I'd have to pay shipping to get this.

Are there any long-term reliability (or other) issues with using the 'squeeze'?

6. Ethan O

Ethan O Auditioning

A far better deal is at Frys - the original now discontinued Samsung TXL-2791F for $349, an incredible deal. I actually had bought the Toshiba 27AF42, also a great set, but at $150 cheaper and having the squeeze function, I returned the Tosh and got the Samsung. The out of the box settings are awful but after some adjusting the picture is great. There has also been quite a bit of talk about the Samsung and its Akai clone on these forums. Good Luck.

7. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Same problem, the closest Fry's is around 50 miles away. The Akai seems to be $349 at Sam's Club too, and I have one that's a shade closer to me. Thanks for the tip though.

8. Dan V

Dan V Stunt Coordinator

The Akai I have is the 2791. They only had a display of the 2790. Can't tell you what the difference is, they looked identical. Can't say much about the reliability, I bought it for the bedroom and have only had it about two months, but after some minor tweaking, I am very impressed with the set.Fantastic picture in the anamorphic mode. It also has great sound quality ( I have it hooked to a 5.1 system but use the tv speakers for cable).My only complaint is he remote seems to have a weaker signal then most tv's.Also I don't know if it matters but the Akai's have a silver cabinet and the Samsung's have a black one.

9. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Thanks.

10. Jael

Jael Agent

The 90's only have 600 lines of resolution vs. the 91/92's which have 800 lines. IMHO the 90's are a "do not buy", while the 91/92's are a great deal.