Toshiba 2200 problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce_Hauge, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Bruce_Hauge

Bruce_Hauge Auditioning

I'm having some problems with my nearly year-old Toshiba 2200. The video and audio are fine, but lately I'm seeing the following problems:
    o On one DVD (THE KID), it hangs on the FBI warning and doesn't advance beyond it unless I hit SKIP. It has no problem playing correctly on my PC-DVD with PowerDVD.
    o On another one (DINOSAUR), there is about a 30-40 second delay after playing one of the special features before it returns to the menu. This happens for all of the special features, not just a particular one. Again, on my PC-DVD, there is less than a 5 second delay before returning to the menu.
    Does this sound like a problem that would be fixed with a firmware upgrade? I did the trick of leaving the unit unplugged overnight in hopes of resetting it, but no change.
    I checked the firmware (zoom-6-0-6-zoom) and it showed 1- 1 0200-1. Does this mean the version is 1.02 or 2.00? Does anyone know what the latest firmware version is for the 2200?
    I read in other forums about having to send the unit to Atlanta to get the firmware upgraded. Is this still true?
    If I'm still within the 1 year parts warranty from Toshiba, will they upgrade the firmware at no charge?
    Thanks for the help.

2. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I also have a 2200, so I will try to help you out.
    a) I dont know about the firmware issues.
    b) I dont think many companies cover firmware upgrades, and I'm pretty sure Toshiba does not.
    c) I rented The Kid a few weeks ago, and didnt notice any problems.
    d) Do you have The Emperors New Groove: Ultimate Groove? b/c on my 2200 it takes like 40 seconds to load some menus. WTF!
    I may be looking for a mega changer anyway, but its still frustrating to have these problems on a year old unit. It makes me mad to hear the manufacturers go round and round about whos fault it is (the player or the disk). I thought there was supposed to be some sort of standard?
    ------------------
    My Website: http://www.hometheaterfanatic.com
    e-mail me: [email protected]
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover

3. Chris Demaree

Chris Demaree Stunt Coordinator

I also own a yr old 2200, I have the emperors new groove and have not noticed any lengthy pauses in the menus. It does hesitate a bit on layer changes, but no longer than other DVD players I have watched movies on. I don't have access to the other movies mentioned, so I can't try those out.

4. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Bruce, if it's still less than a year old you may be able to get Toshiba to replace the player. Two of my frineds that owned the Toshiba SD-1200 (not the SD-2200 like yours) began having problems before the players were a year old. In both cases Toshiba made good on the players by replacing them with the SD-1700.
    All that was required of them was a copy of the original receipt and the return of the defective player.
    Hope this helps.

5. Bruce_Hauge

Bruce_Hauge Auditioning

> I also have a 2200, so I will try to help you out.
    > a) I dont know about the firmware issues.
    Could you post your firmware revision (zoom-6-0-6-zoom)?
    > b) I dont think many companies cover firmware upgrades, and I'm pretty sure Toshiba does not.
    I'll call them today to find out.
    > c) I rented The Kid a few weeks ago, and didnt notice any problems.
    The funny thing is, I could have sworn that the first time I put the disc in, it was fine. It wasn't until subsequent viewings that I started seeing this problem/
    > d) Do you have The Emperors New Groove: Ultimate Groove? b/c on my 2200 it takes like 40 seconds to load some menus. WTF!
    As a matter of fact, I saw the same 30-40 second delay with menu loadings on the second disc of Ultimate Groove as I did with the second disc of Dinosaur. This sure sounds like a problem!

6. Charles J P

CJ Paul
  7. Charles J P

CJ Paul
  8. Bruce_Hauge

Bruce_Hauge Auditioning

> is it what the ROM says? If so, it is V1.500
    Did you get this by removing the case and looking at a chip or by using the key sequence that I posted?
    Also, have you noticed the slow menu problem with any other DVDs?
    Thanks.

9. Charles J P

CJ Paul