1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Toshiba 2200 problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce_Hauge, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Bruce_Hauge

Bruce_Hauge Auditioning

I'm having some problems with my nearly year-old Toshiba 2200. The video and audio are fine, but lately I'm seeing the following problems:
    o On one DVD (THE KID), it hangs on the FBI warning and doesn't advance beyond it unless I hit SKIP. It has no problem playing correctly on my PC-DVD with PowerDVD.
    o On another one (DINOSAUR), there is about a 30-40 second delay after playing one of the special features before it returns to the menu. This happens for all of the special features, not just a particular one. Again, on my PC-DVD, there is less than a 5 second delay before returning to the menu.
    Does this sound like a problem that would be fixed with a firmware upgrade? I did the trick of leaving the unit unplugged overnight in hopes of resetting it, but no change.
    I checked the firmware (zoom-6-0-6-zoom) and it showed 1- 1 0200-1. Does this mean the version is 1.02 or 2.00? Does anyone know what the latest firmware version is for the 2200?
    I read in other forums about having to send the unit to Atlanta to get the firmware upgraded. Is this still true?
    If I'm still within the 1 year parts warranty from Toshiba, will they upgrade the firmware at no charge?
    Thanks for the help.

2. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I also have a 2200, so I will try to help you out.
    a) I dont know about the firmware issues.
    b) I dont think many companies cover firmware upgrades, and I'm pretty sure Toshiba does not.
    c) I rented The Kid a few weeks ago, and didnt notice any problems.
    d) Do you have The Emperors New Groove: Ultimate Groove? b/c on my 2200 it takes like 40 seconds to load some menus. WTF!
    I may be looking for a mega changer anyway, but its still frustrating to have these problems on a year old unit. It makes me mad to hear the manufacturers go round and round about whos fault it is (the player or the disk). I thought there was supposed to be some sort of standard?
    ------------------
    My Website: http://www.hometheaterfanatic.com
    e-mail me: [email protected]
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover

3. Chris Demaree

Chris Demaree Stunt Coordinator

I also own a yr old 2200, I have the emperors new groove and have not noticed any lengthy pauses in the menus. It does hesitate a bit on layer changes, but no longer than other DVD players I have watched movies on. I don't have access to the other movies mentioned, so I can't try those out.

4. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Bruce, if it's still less than a year old you may be able to get Toshiba to replace the player. Two of my frineds that owned the Toshiba SD-1200 (not the SD-2200 like yours) began having problems before the players were a year old. In both cases Toshiba made good on the players by replacing them with the SD-1700.
    All that was required of them was a copy of the original receipt and the return of the defective player.
    Hope this helps.

5. Bruce_Hauge

Bruce_Hauge Auditioning

> I also have a 2200, so I will try to help you out.
    > a) I dont know about the firmware issues.
    Could you post your firmware revision (zoom-6-0-6-zoom)?
    > b) I dont think many companies cover firmware upgrades, and I'm pretty sure Toshiba does not.
    I'll call them today to find out.
    > c) I rented The Kid a few weeks ago, and didnt notice any problems.
    The funny thing is, I could have sworn that the first time I put the disc in, it was fine. It wasn't until subsequent viewings that I started seeing this problem/
    > d) Do you have The Emperors New Groove: Ultimate Groove? b/c on my 2200 it takes like 40 seconds to load some menus. WTF!
    As a matter of fact, I saw the same 30-40 second delay with menu loadings on the second disc of Ultimate Groove as I did with the second disc of Dinosaur. This sure sounds like a problem!

6. Charles J P

CJ Paul
  7. Charles J P

CJ Paul
  8. Bruce_Hauge

Bruce_Hauge Auditioning

> is it what the ROM says? If so, it is V1.500
    Did you get this by removing the case and looking at a chip or by using the key sequence that I posted?
    Also, have you noticed the slow menu problem with any other DVDs?
    Thanks.

9. Charles J P

CJ Paul