Toshiba 2150 DVD player problem (Please help!) (Kinda long)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Some thing really wierd just happened on my Toshiba 2150 DVD player and I'm hoping that someone here can help me please! I was watching "The Rock, Criterion Collection" in DTS testing out my new surround sound system when my DVD player started acting up. I was at the part of the movie where the navy seals are in the sewers and are heading towards the shower room when the movie started skipping and pixelated than froze. The audio stopped also. I took the disc out and carefully eyed it, I didn't see a scratch the only thing I saw was a piece of hair or something which I wiped off. I put the disc back in my player and started it again, this time I started it when they are right under the shower room tripping the beam. The disc skipped a little more but stopped and was all okay after that. I've had the disc for a month and played it before on the 2150 with no problem so I doubt it was the player. I'm wondering though could it be the player? or could DTS have been the problem? I eyed the disc again after the movie and there were no scratches. The disc did sem a little hotter than normal when it was done, could it be a simple case of overheating? my DVD player sits on top of the VCR maybe the vents are a little covered? I've had my 2150 since X-Mas 2000 so I doubt it could be acting up. What could have caused this? sorry for such a long post, but can some one please help.
    -Keith

2. Paul Walther

Paul Walther Agent

Howdy! I've got the same player, purchased around the same time. I recently had a similar experience with my "Stargate" disk; looked perfectly clean but kept producing digital "glitches". I fixed it (as I have a couple other rented disks) by gently washing the disk surface in a warm bath of water and Dawn dishwasher detergent. Use your wet thumb to rub the Dawn (only a drop or so) over the wet surface. Dry with a VERY soft cloth, like a pre-washed diaper. When drying ALWAYS rub from the center of the disk straight out. Never rub in a circular motion that follows the pit grooves. As I said, even on apparently clean disks, this has made a world of difference. I HIGHLY doubt you're having an over-heating problem- see if this works.
    Good Luck!
    P.W.
    ------------------
    DocW

3. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Paul, thanks for the advice I tried it and the disc seems to be working perfectly now. I only experienced a small audio drop out at that part but the picture didn't skip or anything. I guess I'll truly find out if the disc is messed up next time I watch the movie.
    -Keith-