Toshiba 20AF41service menu

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James S., Sep 24, 2001.

1. James S.

James S. Auditioning

I've looked all over the boards, but I can't seem to find out how to enter the service menu on 20AF41. Any help would be appreciated.
    James S.

2. Jim Millar

Jim Millar Auditioning

James - I have a Toshiba 27AF61 and to get into the service menu, this is how it works:
    Turn on set, press Mute on the remote once, then press and hold mute and then press Menu on the set itself - You should then see and "S" on the screen - hope this helps - still haven't figured out what all the settings are for yet but I have a service menu coming next week. Also I still can't figure out how to get out of the service menu so I just turn off the power and that seems to work.

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

James,
    the 20AF41 and presumably the 24AF41 are different than the other Toshibas. To enter the service mode:
    - turn the volume down to 0.
    - press the volume down on the front of the tv and at the same time press 9 on the remote. Wait a few seconds and the service menu should appear. Make sure to write down the parameter/value pairs before changing anything. You can scroll through the parameters by using the channel up/down on the remote - use the volume up and down on the remote to change the values.
    - Press Menu on the remote to exit the service mode.
    hope this helps,
    --tom

4. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

Drat! That doesn't work on my Tosh 20. I sure would love to fix the overscan problem on my set.

5. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

Just a footnote, the same service menu procedure as with the Toshiba 20AF41 also works with the 14" version. I haven't used the service menu to change anything yet, but it definitely gets you in there.

If anybody knows how to use the service menu to correct a slight droop on the right third of the screen for letterboxed films (yeah, I even watch 2:35 in my bedroom on this small set), please let me know. Other than this flaw, the set is terrific.

6. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi James,

ThomasL's tip seems to be the best way to get into the set's svc menu.

Thanks,

Errol

7. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

That's weird. ThomasL's instructions don't work for my set and I'm doing it just as he says. I guess they forgot to put a service menu on mine when it was manufactured.

8. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Jacob, what model do you have? It is possible that newer manufactured models have changed the service menu access mechanism. You may want to check the back of the set and see if it has a recent manufactured date (if Toshiba puts that info on the back). If it is different than you'll probably have to track down a new revised copy of the service manual for the set which hopefully would explain the new procedure.

cheers,

--tom

9. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

Hi, ThomasL. Thanks for trying to help me out. The back of my set says I have a 20AF41 manufactured in February of 2001. Where would I go about finding a service manual for my TV? I've looked on the net and can't find one for my set anywhere.

10. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

Nevermind ThomasL! I'm an idiot. When I was pressing the volume control on my TV and the number nine on my remote; my hand was blocking the remote sensor on the front of the set. Oh well, HTF just wouldn't be the same if I didn't make at least ONE stupid statement a week. :b

Thanks again for helping me get into my service menu. I'd still like to know where to get a service manual because I don't understand what any of the three letter codes stand for in the menu. If you can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

11. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Jacob, first off, if you're not sure what any of the settings do, then I'd stay out of the service menu until you have an accompanying manual. One wrong button press (either out of curiousity or accident) can royally mess up your tv and require a service tech to come out and reset things. This is actually true whether or not you have the manual in front of you [​IMG] so if you're not comfortable or or confident making changes, then you may simply want to have a service tech come out under the set's warranty. Also, technically, entering the service menu yourself may void the warranty on the set. One last thing, if you do want to enter the menu and change something, always write down all of the parameters and their values first before making any changes. This will be some insurance against the accidental key press.
    What exactly do you want to try and correct via the service menu? Is it just the overscan issue? The first thing I'd do is quantify the problem. Have you brought up a overscan pattern using Avia or VE? It may be that your picture is off center and not that overscan is too much on any side. If the overscan is

12. Ten_Smith

Ten_Smith Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to give this a shot this weekend on my 27AF41. Just getting in and looking. My eventual goal is to do the "squeeze." This weekend is just a scouting trip. I've read that only the HIT parameter needs to be adjusted on the 27" Tosh, so its relatively easy.

Everyone better be

Jim M. I have read that the appropriate way to get out of the service menu is to turn the set off.

13. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

Thomas,it turns out most of the codes were easy to understand after I thought about it. It turns out you can't really reduce the overscan that much in the service menu but I took it down as far as I could. I did write down the original stats before I tinkered incase of a mistake but I'm somewhat satisfied with my corrections. I'm still losing about 8-10% of the image but I guess there's not that much I can do about that.

I think the strangest thing about this set is the blue, green and red bias. I thought I should set them all to same number value but then my picture turned completely green. I just put them back to where they were and left it at that.

14. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Jacob,

Looking at my service manual, H.SIZE and V.SIZE should be the two you'd need to adjust to change the size of the image - along with the H.POSI and V.POSI and the geometry parameters which may need to be tweaked - PARABOLA, TRAPEZIU etc.

Don't touch the BIAS parameters. These, along with the DRV parameters set your tv's grayscale. They have nothing to do with the decoding of color or the level of red, blue, green color saturation on your tv. These should only be tweaked if you're actually trying to set your grayscale which you shouldn't be doing unless you have a set of grayscale test patterns, such as the ones that come with Avia, *and* a color analyzer. While you can use your eyes to make changes to grayscale, I'd only recommend this if you have an aggregious problem. For example, I have another Toshiba set that was clearly too green in the low end of the grayscale. I used the Avia patterns and my eyes to adjust things to a more neutral gray. There is no way I can tell if it's close to the NTSC standard of D6500K - which is the optimal goal. But for my purposes, I know it is better than what it was and it has certainly improved movie watching.

cheers,

--tom

15. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

Yeah, the Vertical/Horizontal size and position settings are the ones I used to reduce overscan. I also used the trapezoid/parabola settings to help smooth out the jagged black borders. Reducing overscan on this set is simple because the settings for it are similar to those on a computer monitor. The only problem is there is some built in overscan in the set that these two controls can't fix. The picture overscans behind the black borders of the picture that the tube projects onto the screen. It's not a big deal but it surprises me how much overscan was set on my TV at the factory. I'm down to about 8-10% and my guess is it was about 15% before I got into the service menu.

Thanks again for all your help Thomas.

16. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Jacob, that is strange. The overscan on mine, measured with Avia's pattern was between 4-6 percent on all sides.

cheers,

--tom