Toshiba 20AF41 - anyone own one? thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ThomasL, Jun 23, 2001.

1. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Well, the wife seems to think that a 27 inch tv is way too big for the nice fireplaced living room and hence my master plan of upgrading my current 27 inch family/home theater room has been dashed at least for the moment [​IMG] So I was wondering what people's thought on the Toshiba 20AF41 is. I'd like a tv with component inputs or at least Svideo. This tv seems to have everything I'm looking for and it's small enough to satisfy the aesthetics of the room. best Buy has this tv for $300 and I have a 10 percent off Preferred Customer coupon good for this weekend so I was thinking an extra $30 off that price would make it a pretty decent buy for what it gives you. Most other 20 inch sets look to be basic "cable" sets with no good inputs, no digital comb filters and certainly not a flat tube.
    thanks,
    --tom

2. Rick Julian

Rick Julian Auditioning

I just purchased a Toshiba 24AF41 for the bedroom. Great picture.
    Toshiba will be coming out with a line of Flat screen sets this summer and early fall. They will have flat sets in three lines. Regular series, Cinema series, and HDTV series.
    They will have two 27" sets 27af41 and 27af61 and several 32" and 36" sets.
    If it were me, I would purchase the 27" or 32" for the room. You have time to shop and maybe convince your wife about the benefits of a larger TV.
    You would need binoculars for the 20" set.
    Rick J
    ------------------

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Rick, thanks for the reply...have you calibrated the 24AF41 with Avia or Video Essentials? How is the convergence, geometry and most important the color decoder? The color decoder in our 27A40 regular tube tv is very good, as in all colors are equally balanced and there is no red push. I'm hoping the flat tube Toshibas continue that.
    Oh and as for a bigger tv, my wife has decided to compromise and said she would like a nice 24 inch flat tube for the living room/fireplace room. This is not the main "home theater" room - that's the room with the 27A40 (it's the only one wired for surround sound [​IMG] ). So, it looks like the 24AF41 will fit the bill. I think the master plan will be to trade up the 27A40 to a 32 inch Toshiba flat tube eventually - assuming the reviews/feedback on those sets are good. I was in Sears tonight and they have a receival date of 7/9 for the 27 flat Toshiba tubes...model #: 27AF41 and 27AF61.
    cheers,
    --tom

4. Rick Julian

Rick Julian Auditioning

Why not place the 27a40 in the living Room and purchase one of the new 32" or 36" Toshiba flat screen Tv s for the Home Theater room when they come out latter this summer.My gut felling is that the new sets are going to be outstanding.
    I received a mailing from a Toshiba distributor yesterday.
    The new sets were listed as follows:
    27AF41 July
    27AF61 July
    32AF41 July
    36AF41 August
    36AF61 August
    32AFX61 Cinema Series July/August
    36AFX61 Cinema Series June
    32HFX71 HDTV Compatible August/September
    36HFX71 HDTV Compatible August/September
    My guess is that the SONY flat screens will be coming down in price to compete with sets coming out from JVC, Panasonic, Toshiba, and Samsung soon. That is probably why the new SONY were already released (to take the steam out of the market before the new sets are released later this summer and early fall).
    I did not calibrate the TV with Avia but with a test pattern from my satellite system. With this set it was hard to calibrate color and tint because the screen display blocked part of the test pattern. There appears to be a slight geometry problem on the right side of the picture. This does not concern me. The tuner on this set is real sensitive. Cable and off air UHF comes in real clean.
    The picture out of the box is high on contract and sharpness.I turned down contrast to 24 and sharpness to 20.
    I think the red push is acceptable because there is no need to turn down the color with oversaturated reds on the test pattern. There is no color temperature contol on the 24AF41. The convergence is fine.
    I am not much for excessive tweaking anymore.I learned my lesson to leave things well enough alone. My motto now is, "if it ain't broke don't fix it."
    Happy shopping
    Rick J
    ------------------

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Rick, thanks for the reply. I ended up buying the 20AF41 at Best Buy for $270. To make a long story short, there is no way a 27 inch will ever end up in the living room [​IMG] And I can see my wife's view here. It's a nice room with a fireplace being the focal point. Having a big black monolith sitting in one corner really does throw the feng shui or whatever off. And my wife definitely liked the look of the 20AF41. After letting it run for an hour, I put it threw the basic Avia test patterns and the set suffers from one problem which is the right hand side geometry. Probably not noticeable on regular cable tv and only on scenes with static vertical lines that stay on the screen long enough for your eyes to process them (e.g. Check out Kirk's retina scan scene in Star Trek II). The problem is that the geometry slants from bottom to top about 3/16 of an inch to the left. It may also have a bow in it but it's more of a slant. It sounds as if this plagues all the sets since you and another person have mentioned geometry problems on the right hand side as well. It also has about a +15 percent red push over blue. Green lies somewhere in the middle about +5 to +10. I think this is the usual setup to overcompensate for a "cool" grayscale (more blue than red). I would like to have seen some type of movie mode or color temperature setting where the grayscale was "warmer" and where SVM was turned off. Other than those few things, the set, for the price, is very good for a small set with component inputs. The BBE enhanced sound really makes a difference as well..it goes from tinny to sounding much more real. It fits perfectly on the small stand we got for the living room and my wife really likes the look and feel of the grey cabinet with the flat screen. At this point, I think we'll keep it (it'll be 90-95 percent cable tv viewing anyhow) since there it sounds like all the sets have some level of geometry woes on the right hand side and there is no guarantee the Sony equivalent would not have similar or different problems. I will say that I'm disappointed that this tv pushes red like so many others (including the Sony 20 inch Wega). I guess after getting this set, I have new found apprecriation for the 27A40.
    cheers,
    --tom