Toshiba 20" service menu key needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Susilo, Aug 1, 2002.

1. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I own two Toshiba 20" pure-flat TV with severe overscan. Anybody know how to get into its service menu? the old service menu code doesn't work on this model. Also, anybody know Toshiba's code for the V-Size and H-Size (and if possible, tilt)

for example, for Samsung TVs, for V-Size is VA and H-Size is HA

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

David, I own a 20AF41 and have the service manual for it. What model number is the set you own? I can give you the code for entering my set as well as the parameters used to adjust geometry. Of course, the usual disclaimers about entering the service mode, apply [​IMG]
    cheers,
    --tom

3. David Susilo

That's the exact model I own. Can you pass along the information please [​IMG]

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

David, ok, here goes:
    Turn the volume down completely, then press the volume down on the set and at the same time press the # 9 on the remote control for more than a second. At this point you should be in the service menu. Use the Channel Up/Down on the remote to cycle through the parameters that can be set. Press the Menu button on the remote to exit the service menu. Use the Volume Up/Down buttons to adjust a parameter's value. And of course, make sure to write down all settings before changing any of them.
    Geometry parameters:
    H.POSI - Horizontal position
    H.SIZE - Horizontal size.
    V.POSI - Vertical position.
    V.SIZE - Vertical size.
    PARABOLA - Parabola adjustment.
    TRAPEZIU - Trapezium adjustment.
    COR TOP - Corner Top adjustment.
    COR BOT - Corner Bottom adjustment.
    OSD Horizontal - Actually, I don't know what this one does exactly but the manual seems to imply it's geometry related. The initial screen that comes up in the Service Menu is used to somehow make the two vertical lines the same distance from the sides. I'd leave it alone [​IMG]
    I had geometry problems on mine in addition to a really "cool"/blue grayscale. To fix my geometry problem, I used COR TOP, COR BOT, TRAPEZIU, and PARABOLA. I got it to the point where it looked decent enough. My impression is that all of these new generation flat tubes have some geometric distortions.
    hope this helps and good luck,
    --tom

5. David Susilo

Thanks for the info. I'll try it out tonight and post the result.

BTW, is there a way for me to lower the contrast to 50% max on the service menu preset just in case my daughter press reset on the remote and the contrast goes back to 100% as per factory setting?

6. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

David, how did it go?
    I have not centered contrast or limited it so the max on the user menu is really 50 percent. But there are the following parameters in the service menu:
    SUBCONT
    BRI
    SHARP
    SUBCONT may indeed be the service menu level adjustment for contrast. The service manual itself doesn't really explain much of anything (surprise, surprise [​IMG] ) - just gives 5 steps for a technician to follow.
    Other parameters I thought were interesting but didn't really play with to figure out exactly what they do were:
    TINT (well, that one is probably self-explanatory [​IMG] )
    UNI-COLOR
    RGB CONT
    If you figure out what any of these do, let me know. I was hoping there was a way to tone down the red push on the set other than simply lowering overall color saturation.
    Also, each input seems to have a different set of values for the parameters in the service menu if you haven't noticed this yet. Most of the parameters are global - i.e. their values are the same across all inputs but a few are different so you want to make sure you're in the right input mode before entering the service menu. I believe all the geometry ones are global.
    cheers,
    --tom

7. David Susilo

Hi Tom,

I haven't had the chance to do anything with the TVs yet (and I just bought another 20" Tosh for my studio) due to extreme busy-ness in my studio. Also on Wednesday my Samsung RPTV will arrive, so I don't think I'll have the chance to play with the setting on my 20 inchers until next weekend.