What's new

Toshiba 2.0 firmware update reportedly available (1 Viewer)

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Nero image file available via this link, but I'm afraid to try it. Should wait until the end of the day or tomorrow to see if this update is the same as the yet-to-be-released official.

Ken_F

Stunt Coordinator
The new firmware adds support for full 5.1 TrueHD output, significantly improves quality when the 720p mode is selected, improves interactive menu responsiveness, pause is now full-frame, among other improvements.

You can find more information about the firmware update (with instructions) at Toshiba's HD-DVD website. Click on "Support" and then "Firmware Update V2.0."

The differences between Dolby Digital Plus and TrueHD 5.1 vary by the film. On some films, the improvement in quality is significant and very obvious; on other films, the improvement with TrueHD 5.1 is more subtle. For those who want to compare Dolby Digital Plus and TrueHD, I would suggest Constantine and Training Day. I would suggest turning "Dialog Enhancement" OFF on the HD-DVD player when using TrueHD.

To experience TrueHD 5.1 lossless audio, you need a receiver/processor with HDMI 1.1 or a receiver/processor with 5.1 analog inputs. You do not need a receiver with HDMI 1.3. You cannot experience TrueHD lossless audio over traditional spdif/optical connections, because they are limited in implementation to 1.5Mbps, whereas TrueHD delivers audio at [up to] 14Mbps.

There is really no reason to wait for a CD from Toshiba when you can start experiencing TrueHD 5.1 sound today. Firmware 2.0 disks are not being mailed out by Toshiba for another 2-3 weeks. Toshiba recommends that customers update via the built-in firmware update feature; a network connection will also be required to download additional interactive content on some upcoming HD-DVD titles. When updating using the built-in firmware update feature, be sure to remove all disks from the drive before doing so.

If for some reason you can't spend a few bucks on an ethernet cable to run from your internet router (or cable modem) to the HD-DVD player, you can download the firmware as a Nero CD image right here. Burn it to a CD with Nero using the "burn image to disk" (not data disk) option, or if you don't have Nero, you can download the trial version of ISOMagic.

Current titles with TrueHD 5.1
Constantine (recommended by me)
The Perfect Storm
The Phantom of the Opera
Training Day

Upcoming titles with TrueHD 5.1
12 Monkeys
2 Fast 2 Furious
Batman Begins
End of Days
Fast and the Furious
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Harry Potter 4: The Goblet of Fire
The Matrix
Out of Sight
Superman Returns
The Thing
Troy
V for Vendetta

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I checked out the thread at AVS forum and while this update is not yet an official release, it solves all but three of the problems I had with Tosh - and gets me one step closer to buying.

Unresolved problems.
1. No 1080p output
2. Very long boot time
3. Disney and Fox haven't announced any HD-DVD product (no hope for Columbia obviously)

I could live with the first two, but number the third one is a huge hang up.

-Reagan

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Has anyone used or confirmed this is a actually firmware update and that it works? If it is a actuall update that would be great because I am hoping to pick up my HD-A1 next next friday.

I believe that the first firmware update did reduce the load time just alittle bit. As far as an HD-DVD player outputting 1080p, IMHO that will be something that will be availabe in a second generation machine. And thats only if Toshiba decided to make 1080p available from the players.

If you have a dvd burner I would imagine that you just burn the image file to a dvd. Then insert that disc into your player and it should update from the dvd.

Steve Blair

Second Unit
just downloaded it from the internet. Dolby TrueHD ROCKS! i've tried constantine and training day and the sound is phenomenal! The official update is available as of today.

Ken_F

Stunt Coordinator
Toshiba officially released the 2.0 firmware last night. It is now available through the player's "firmware update" feature.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well if the offical 2.0 firmware release is available I guess I know what I will be doing first thing when I get my HD-A1 home next week. ;)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
It's been confirmed that the download file @ RapidShare and the Toshiba Official 2.0 Firmware Update is IDENTICAL, both Versions read ...

2.0/1.0A/2.0S

So, choose your upgrade path option,

1) Ethernet
2) Wait for the CD from Toshiba
3) RapidShare download (option I used)

I must agree w/Steve Blair, Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Does Sound Glorious playing "The Phantom of the Opera"!!! (my only HD DVD w/TrueHD at the moment ;))

Phil

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have actually just d/l the update from RapidShare about 2 hours ago so I am all set to update the player. That is as long as the unit has come in and I can pick it up next friday?

I have 7 HD-DVD titles so far and only The Perfect Storm includes a Dolby True HD track. I guess I might have to check out some other titles with Dolby True HD? At least if I want to get a better idea of how good or bad the format is.

TedD

Supporting Actor
This is not correct. Native Digital transmission requires HDMI 1.3. The Toshiba unpacks the TrueHD signal's 5.1 PCM (still digital) and outputs it via HDMI 1.1.

Ted

Ken_F

Stunt Coordinator
That is only for players without built-in TrueHD decoders. The Toshiba HD-DVD player includes an advanced signal processor that decodes TrueHD 5.1. Most Blu-ray players don't include these advanced signal processors as a cost-cutting measure, which is why some people keep referring to HDMI 1.3 -- because with Blu-ray, you need a player with HDMI 1.3 and a new receiver with HDMI 1.3 to do what HD-DVD can do today with HDMI 1.1.

TedD

Supporting Actor
KenF: Thx, modified my statement. BTW, I have noticed a significant quality improvement selecting the TrueHD audio, even when the signal is reencoded to DTS for output over SPDIF.

Ted

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

Ok, I'm lazy and decided not to do the ethernet download... So, I used the firmware update off of that link. Burnt it on a disc using Nero and updated my player. Went through fine, just took a while to complete. Afterwards, I checked the firmware revision and it went from the 1.3 to the 2.0. I just got my HD DVD player in the mail today, so I don't know if there was a difference... But, the ISO worked just fine.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey John thanks for the good news on the firmware update and enjoy your new HD player. :emoji_thumbsup:

I went directly to UE after work and picked up my HD-A1 today along with 2 more movies. So I am going to set it up and update it to ver2.0 and do alittle reading and start enjoying some HD movies. :cool:

I was just alittle sticker shocked that the Monster HDMI cable I was looking at was $120. Will most likely pick it up next paycheck. I am hoping that it has a HDMI in the box that I can use until next paycheck. :D

Question for John Besse or anyone else here that has downloaded the update 2.0 for the HD-A1. Did you have to use Nero? Also did you just burn the data straight to the disc or was there anything special you had to do first ? I have Roxio Easy Media Creator that came with my Plextor DVD burner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks