Toshi SD 5980

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Wayde_R, May 26, 2005.

1. Wayde_R

Wayde_R Stunt Coordinator

Aug 25, 2003

Is a single disc $150 dollar DVD player by Toshiba with an HDMI output. It's being billed as "upconverting" to 1080i video.

The product description says:

"HDMI™ can support uncompressed digital video up to HDTV resolution. Thus the player makes use of this conduit by up-converting the standard DVD picture resolution of 720p or 1080i."

My brother, who spends first and asks my advice later tells me the sales guy is selling this as an HD DVD player. The description on the website is borderline false. The sales guy giving the truth a little push into fantasy world isn't hard to believe. My brother hearing what he wanted to hear is even more believable.

So, what gives? How can they get away with saying this DVD player upconverts to HD resolutions? Isn't this what most HDTVs do anyway?

Just like to know any thoughts. Is this a "good" dvd player? How does it stack to something like the Pioneer DV-563A using a component only connection. I don't believe the HDMI out is going to offer any noticable upgrade in PQ, especially from a relatively cheap DVD player.
  2. BrettN

BrettN Extra

Jul 3, 2001
    In another forum (ecoustics), someone mentioned a hack to convert the Toshiba 5970 to a region free player (including PAL via HDMI). The procedure is:

This makes US-sold Toshiba 5970 region free!!!
    Codefree via remote control:
    -open the tray
    -type 2403960 (each time you press a digit button
    you'll see a cursor advancing on the screen)
    -press enter to cycle to region 9
    -close the tray
    -turn the player off
    -turn it back on

Works also with RCE!
    Pal movies work great via HDMI!!

Does anyone know if this works with the 5980 as well?