Tosh Sync Problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pete Lentini, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Pete Lentini

Pete Lentini Auditioning

My TP61H95 went nuts last night. The left side of the picture is on the right of the screen and vice versa. There is a black verticle line about a foot wide right down the middle.

Any ideas what it is or how to fix it? Sync problem?

It may be a coincidence, but the problem began when I turned on the tv and attempted to turn down the volume with one remote, as my 6 year old son was pressing unknown buttons on a second remote (you know, the one your kids lose and you can't find until you buy the new one).

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I think you accidentally generated a code using the remote control that threw the TV into a funny mode. Having a wide dark stripe dividing the picture into a left half and a right half suggests that the incoming video is at twice the scan rate of the electron beams, for example progressive scan video is being fed to the picture tubes while the electron beams are scanning at the interlaced rate.
    Look in the instructions for remote button sequences used to change things like 1080i to 480p, or 480p to 480i (assuming this is a manual adjustment). Try several of them.
    It is possible for the electronics to have unadvertised modes. Unless the mode is described somewhere you may have to have a technician come in and set it back to normal.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Pete Lentini

Pete Lentini Auditioning

Thanks. I'll check that. I think your guess is correct. I kind of remember seeing a lot of numbers (codes?) on the top left portion of the screen when I was adjusting the volume.

The volume button, of course, is what you use to change code settings once you get into the menu. How I got into the menue is anyones guess.

I've gone into designer mode and checked my sync settings. They are all where they belong, so I'll check out your fix next.

4. Pete Lentini

Pete Lentini Auditioning

Allan:

A tech came over today and provided me with no real comfort by saying he'd never seen a Tosh do what my set is doing. He left in 5 minutes muttering about needing to check with service about resetting a chip.

Based on what he's saying, it seems he thinks I got into some funky mode and reset some values. I tend to agree, but it is hard to believe that there is a mode out there of which no one on this board is aware.

My answer is not in the service menu or design menu. What else is there?