Tosh SD9200 making noise. Should I even bother taking it in?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Sylvester, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

I've been reading about other users' problems with the SD9200 in various places, and counted myself among the lucky few who hadn't yet seen anything amiss. That was until a few weeks ago, when my player started making a loud buzzing/whirring sound when playing any type of disc (CD, DVD, etc.).

The sound is intermittent. Sometimes I'll power it up, put in a DVD, and it'll be totally silent (one of the things I really liked about this player when I first got it). I can play the same disc a week later, and it'll buzz. It seems to have good days and bad days.

I tried contacting OneCall about it since I just got it in November, and they told me to talk to Toshiba, so I don't think they're going to be any help. The things I've read about Toshiba customer support don't inspire me with much confidence either. Many people have received several replacements for this same model, only to have the replacement model start exhibiting the same symptoms right out of the box or soon after.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

BTW, any recommendations on DVD players under $1500 are welcome.

2. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Stunt Coordinator

Jay, you're not alone. I think the problem arises from the actually DVDs themselves. For some reason, I think the 9200 is very sensitive to DVDs that are just a little imperfect. Most that I have noticed a problem with had some slight imperfection on the disc itself. Hey, I might not be right, but it's just my 2 cents.

Jeff

3. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Are all the SD-9200's like this? What about the latest units?

I was thinking about getting one but I'm not confident that Toshiba has addressed this.

Jeff

4. Jay Sylvester

I wouldn't bother with one. There are better progressive DVD players out there for the money.

The problem has gotten worse over the last few days. What started out as an annoyance has become a low rumble no matter what disc I put in. Do yourself a favor and get a newer model.

5. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Stunt Coordinator

I've still got the problem too and find it occuring on DVD's that it hadn't in the past. I'm starting to get frustrated with it.

Jeff

6. Jay Sylvester

You're not the only one. An even bigger joke is the bullshit 90 day labor warranty on this thing. Not only do I get to pay $700 for it, but four months later I get to take it to a service center to pay for the faulty drive to be replaced.

It amazes me that my PC's SCSI Toshiba DVD-ROM drive can go thousands of hours without a hitch, but a DVD player that sold for $2000 when it was released can't last a few months.

Lame.

7. Robin Casady

Robin Casady Agent

That is too bad that the 9200 is so problematic. I bought a 9100 when it first came out (I think it was Toshiba's first progressive player). Anyway, it is going strong. No problems (knock on wood). :)

I was considering upgrading to a 9200, but I guess I wont be doing that.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

These experiences with the '9200 are most distressing, as the player looks to be very well made. I considered getting one a few months ago to replace my Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player when the price first dropped. However, I figured it would be better to wait and see what was coming down the pike. Plus, I would like to see many more DVD-Audio titles available before I sink more money into the format. For now, my 'A10 at $380 is more than doing the job. I hope you '9200 owners get the problems resolved with minimal hassle.

9. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

10. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

I bought this player about two weeks ago and have had no problems(again, knock on wood). I would think because of all the internet uproar that Toshiba would step up and take care of the problem. I hope your players get fixed, I feel they are great sounding units.

Good luck,

Josh

11. Jay Sylvester

Jeff, I really hope it doesn't have to come to a lawsuit to get a properly functioning unit. However, I've been thinking about starting a web site for people like myself to gather. Maybe as a group contacting Toshiba with one voice, we might get some results.
    I've e-mailed Toshiba about the problem. Here's what I sent them: