Tosh. sd6980 + 65hdx82 upconvert ?/problem

criagD

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig Dulany
I've had the Toshiba 65hdx82 HD RPTV for a few years connected to a Panasonic CP72 dvd changer through component connection. I just bought the Toshiba sd-6980 upconverting dvd player for the upconversion feature hoping to get near HD quality picture. I got it hooked up last night and was pretty disappointed, I'm using the hdmi output with an hdmi to dvi converter into the tv. The picture quality was actually worse than my old Panasonic. Am I missing something, do I need to change any special settings in either the new dvd player or TV? Is it possible that the picture could be worse with an upconvert? Any help would be greatly appreciated

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
Craig,
Your TV was already upconverting the DVD signal to fit the native resolution of your set. What you have discovered is that the scaler (upconverter) in your expensive HDTV is better than the scaler (upconverter) in the cheap DVD player you bought. When you think about it, this should not be surprising.

Upconverting DVD players arealmost always not worth it. Unless your TV has a terrible scaler, or you really want THE BEST scaler possible, it's just silly. Pass your DVD (480i or a progressive scan 480p signal) through component or HDMI/DVI and let your TV do the work.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vikesfan1963