What's new

Tosh SD5700 opinions....... (1 Viewer)

RobG

Stunt Coordinator
Whats the concensus on this player? I "searched" for info but most of it is old prior to anyone having it yet so I was hoping there is some first hand knowledge of how it performs. Its main duty will be prog. mode for movies. I am not sure what HDCD is. Can someone explain? Some also mentioned a "chroma bug". I have no idea what this is. Is it something really noticeable or one of those glitches that have to be pointed out to be seen? Thanks.

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
I just downgraded from the Panasonic 91 to the Tosh 4700. The reason I switched is that I got a new tv & I won't be using the progressive output.

I can't really give you an A-B on video because I went from a 36" Toshiba HD Ready to a 58" Pioneer Elite. I can tell you that I get an amazing picture on the Pioneer with the Toshiba! I use the interlaced component output & let the tv handle the doubling.

Audio and DVD-A sounds the same to me.

The best thing about the Toshiba was the ease of set-up. I was initially very confused setting up the Panny. Plus, the Panasonic had tons of tweaking options. The Tosh was simple & quick.

I got it on UBid for $189 + $20 for shipping. (At that price it's practically disposable!)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
There was a very favorable review of this player in the current issue of Home Theater magazine. I too have been considering this player, as well as the Sony 500 that has SACD, but not progressive scan.

RobG

Stunt Coordinator
I did see the HT mag review. I was hoping for some "real life" reviews as well. Thanks.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
I have the 5700. I've spent a lot of time using it for music. I listen to music CD's by connecting the analogue L/R outs from the 5700 to the CD inputs on my Integra 6.2. The sound is really good - less harsh than my previous Nakamichi CD changer. I also can't believe how many CD's are HDCD-encoded, even though they don't say so on the jackets. Haven't watched enough movies yet to comment on the video performance.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Rick, any chance you could run some sample CD-R with MP3's through the 5700?

I had a 4700 that had beautiful video, about the best I've seen. Does the 5700 also do well with the video flicker in toy story? The 4700 was great with this and other progressive tests.

But the audio for mp3 playback was horrible, sounded like muddy water. The DVD-Audio playback was good, although I don't remember if there was bass managment on the player...

RobG

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. I would be using it for movies mostly and I don't think my reciever could support the HDCD or DVD-A, nor do I use mp3.

syeo

Agent
I own a 5700, and it plays CD-RW discs full of mp3 files beatifully. No problems at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks