What's new

Tosh SD-9200, Pan RP91, or Tosh SD-4700/JVC-SA70BK? Here's my dilemma... (1 Viewer)

Dela Rosa

Auditioning
Okay, I know there's been a TON of posts the pros and cons of each one of these players separately, but I've narrowed (LOL, yeah, if that's considered narrowing) my shopping down to those three. Yup, I see some incredulous faces out there wondering what train I've just fallen off, considering such a motley group of players I've chosen, but bear with me... here's my question(s):
Which one to buy if price is not too much of an issue?
Before people say: get the 9200 for the price discount, or the Panasonic for it's performance, etc., let me expand on what I'm weighing against. This is more or less the reasons why I'm pretty indecisive at this point.
1) The 9200 is probably the best built, but I know it's considered a "dinosaur," since it's the oldest of the three. It seems it's also the most discounted.
2) The RP91 I understand is the best performing video-wise, from what I gather, is relatively new, and I see well discounted into the $400's.
3) The 4700 and 70BK are the newest models, and cheaper than heck.
Now, are the newer models necessarily better? Or do the older ones represent a better buy? (Bangs head against the wall)
Here's my video circumstances:
I know the 9200 and RP91 use the Genesis chip set, the 70BK a Mediamatics, and the 4700 a new Zoran. I DON'T have an HDTV yet, but am planning to move up to a FPTV sometime early next year. I just need a player with good progressive performance, I'm not yet that picky, but don't want to be stuck with a player I won't be happy with. So from a video standpoint, I figure the best bet's the RP91.
Here's the audio circumstances:
Yes, I know DVD Audio (along with SACD) is still a niche product. I'm a music guy at heart (my system's used 75/25 music to HT) and wanted to try out some advanced resolution formats. Since SACD's an evolution of the CD player, I don't think I'm going to invest in an SACD/DVD player, but probably will invest in one of the separate SACD players out there. I figure the 9200's gonna give the best in DVD Audio performance (I know the Onkyo and Integra are more well regarded, but they're not selling at bargain basement prices right now). In this case, is the 9200 a better choice?
Or should I just get the 4700/70BK and be over with it, saving $200 to $450 in the process?
*Bangs head against wall some more*
LOL, so here's the question:
If you had to choose between one of the three (the last two [4700 & 70BK] are considered the same for me), which would you pick, given my predicament, and why?
Thanks for any help you can throw my way.
Christian

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
After tons of research, I chose the RP91. While I wasn't specifically looking for DVD-A, I look at it as an added bonus since I probably would have paid the same amount for the player without this feature. So.compared to the cheaper players, why not spend $200 to be the first on your block with DVD-A?
------------------
HT Pic's

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Della,
You've asked exactly the same question that I'm pondering too. I've posted this question to several threads on the forum with no reply yet, concerning the CDR reading by the Tosh 9200. It's not listed as being able to do this on the Toshiba web site. The 9200 also will not (I'm told) send an upsampled cd digital out, if that's an issue to you. I must admit, I am swayed by the 24 pound build quality of the 9200 vs the normal build of the others. But, it is getting a bit long in the tooth..
If you think of the low end, you might want to add the Pan RN60 or is it 65--I'm about modeled out. Oh yeah, you said that you want progressive and this isn't. I'm not in the market for a HD set anytime soon so that is still an option for me.
Are you planning to use this as a CD player, using the internal DACs for analog out? I am. I've had a difficult time collecting info on how well any of these function as a DVD player, other than to get the general blanket statement "don't expect good cd performance from a DVD player"
This response is unacceptable to me, but I guess I should expect it asking it in a video forum. As you can guess audio is far more important than video to me, and I'm in effect attempting to buy a good CD player that does, first DVD-A and then DVD-V.
I had hoped to drift to the lower end Tosh 4700/5700, but so far brief reports on their CD performance have not been great.
BTW, many folks here seem to rely exclusively on the DACs in their receivers for CD content, so their replys concerning CD playback quality of any of these players must be examined to see if they are really commenting on CD analog performace or just the function of the player as a transport.
I'm currently set on the pan 91, and if dissapointed with its redbook cd performance, might consider an outboard DAC--although that certainly does add to the overall cost.
Good luck on your hunt!

Dela Rosa

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies, Gary and Art. So far the overwhelming choice has been the Panasonic (including one reply from this same thread on another forum).
Art, I too value CD playback probably more than DVD (though that'll probably change once I get an HD set), and I do like the heft and build of the 9200 - I've got a Teac transport which I spin CDs on, and using the DACs in my PrePro, I'm quite satisfied right now (may soon upgrade DAC, but I not really sure when - not that soon, as it stands).
I've leaned toward the 9200 for it's potential on revealing as much as possible on DVD-A, but again, not much software out there (SACD appeals to me more on that regard).
All in all, looks like the Panny's on a win right now for me as well.
Thanks again,
Christian

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I just had a demo of the Tosh SD9200 and it was the best progressive picture I have seen yet. It retails for $1500 so you know it's a great player. Don't know about cd's and don't care. I won't ever use a DVD player to play CD's again.

Richard P

Auditioning
I prefer Toshiba SD-9200, the video quality is simply outstanding. The audio is also excellent.
Richard

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,
Care to offer details on why you'd never use a DVD player as a CD player? What CD player are you using that so outclasses the Toshiba 9200 that -aledgedly- is ranked as a Stereophile class A redommended CD PLAYER? I say aledegedly (even if I can't spell it) as I read this in a post somewhere else and haven't checked it out. If you know what in general makes it impossible to produce a player that reads both DVDs and CDs well, please elaborate.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
alot of players now are having separate lasers for CD and DVD pickup, so that wouldnt be a problem. but, when you program the same laser to do two things, you lose quality. it's pretty simple if you think about it.
btw- in case it helps, i'm a college kid without an income that was looking for the same thing recently. i was sold on the features of the Tosh '5700 until the reviews came in. i eventually told myself that i wouldnt be happy unless i got the best, so i said 'f**k it' and got an RP91. i did plenty of research and posting before i came to this decision...it comes tomorrow and i absolutely cannot wait!! you'll be happy with whatever you choose, but the Panny is the best-in-class here IMO.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Art,
I just said that because my current DVD player had skipping/jumping around problems when I played Audio CD's through it in the past. Maybe a coincidence. But DVD's play just fine now that I no longer play audio cd's in it. It used to pause/skip on every disc before.
I guess I would use the 9200 to play CD's, I just always remember what happened with my POS sony DVD player when I did, it makes me not want to take a chance on the player acting up(especially if it's an expensive player.

Dela Rosa

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies, all. Putting in the order for the Panny here in a short while.
Had one more question concerning the DVD-Audio functionality of the RP91, and I've posted another thread to see if I can get that answered.
Christian

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
The Toshiba is the best CD transport I have used to date.
It also plays back CDR discs.
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated pictures due to recent upgrades!

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Got to clairify my previous post on the Stereophile reference. I checked the 2 different issues of rec components for 2000, and the April 2001 rec components issue, and no mention of the 9200. The guy at audioreview that profferred this info must have been dreaming. It still may be a great transport/CD player, but nothing that Stereophile endorses--not that they are the last word. Still vacilating on the 9200 or pan91.
Maybe I just go home an put on an LP..

Jaehoon Heo

Stunt Coordinator
I think SD 9200 is rated class-A as a DVD-Audio player, not as a CD player. My understanding is that no DVD player provides as good CD performance as that of a GOOD CD player of similar price.
[Edited last by Jaehoon Heo on November 15, 2001 at 12:04 PM]

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
James,
Thanks for the pointer. The review compares this player to the CAL CL-20 another DVD player and ends in sort of a toss up. I haven't seen the rec components section rating this, but the last 3 Stereophile rec components lists of CD players stated that each player was rated based on it's "highest resolution" format, so I'd guess that the 9200 is compared to other DVD players weather SACD or DVD-A and NOT to CD players. I admit that I find this listing somewhat confusing. I would have liked to read in the Stereophile review article a direct comparison to several CD only players. I'm starting to think that I may get away with a DVD player either SD9200 or Pan RP91 as a transport, and eventually sustitute an external DAC for the CD players'. One 9200 owner that I've emailed mentioned that he has added an MSB platinium DAC to the 9200 easily besting the performance of the 9200's internal DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks