1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Tosh 65X80 and Pan RP91

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hal M, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Hal M

Hal M Agent

Couple of simple questions. I'm assuming that since I have a Toshiba 16:9 TV, I don't have to worry about not getting a progressive signal on non-anamorphic DVDs. Is this correct? The Toshiba doesn't seem to lock into full mode like other RPTVs. I assume that means I'm getting a progressive image no matter what I watch (non-anamorphic, 1.33:1).
    Also, I have a Denon receiver with built in DD, but not DTS. Since the RP91 has both decoders built in, if I use the optical out, will that allow me to use the DD decoder on my receiver and bypass the one in the RP91? And if I want to use the DTS decoder in the RP91, do I simply hook up the separate RCA cable outputs to my receiver (which is DTS ready)? And how is the DTS decoder on the RP91 compared to my Denon's DD decoder? Will DTS still sound better, or is this not worth it?
    Thanks

2. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

Although your set does not "lock in full" the scaling done by the player will be superior to that of your TV set. Basically you can leave your TV set in "full" mode all the time. Typically zooming in with TheaterWide2 results in a dimmer image and you can sometimes see scanlines, since the raster lines are spread farther apart. This doesn't happen with the RP91.
    If you use the optical or coax digital audio output you will be bypassing the player's internal decoders. However you can't use this connection for the best quality DVD-audio disks.

3. Hal M

Hal M Agent

"If you use the optical or coax digital audio output you will be bypassing the player's internal decoders. However you can't use this connection for the best quality DVD-audio disks. "
    In that case what DO I use for DVD Audio and why is the coax or optical not as good?
    And as to the RP91's scaling of non-anamorphic images... How does this work? And what about 1.33:1 images?
    Hal

4. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

For DVD-audio you must use the 6 analog outputs. This is a copy protection thing, not a quality thing.
    For non-anamorphic letterboxed images, the picture is stretched vertically. The hard-coded black bars at the top and bottom of the image are in effect pushed off the top and bottom. Then the "slice" in the middle is sent to the TV. The visible image now has the same shape as if it were an anamorphic image.
    For 4:3 images, the picture is squeezed horizontally and black bars are placed on the left and the right.

5. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

My Toshiba is a widescreen, but it DOES lock into full mode when it gets a progressive input. Mind you this TV is probably fairly different than the others (since it's a 34" direct view), but the gist of this message is that just because it's a Toshiba doesn't mean you can assume it won't lock. Are you 100% sure that particular model doesn't lock?
    Ignore this message if you've already thought of that.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

6. DanG

DanG Stunt Coordinator