TOSH 57HDX82 and DirecTV..........

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary PT, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Gary PT

Gary PT Agent

Hi All,
    OK, I received my Tosh 57hdx82 last week and am really enjoying it now that I have a handle on adjusting the picture to my liking. DVD's are simply amazing. But, like many, I'm a little disappointed in the DirecTV picture. Just not as crisp and sharp as we would like. If I invest in a HD receiver and triple LNB dish, will I get improved pictures on all channels, or just the small sampling of channels that broadcast in Hi-Def.? $600 to $800 seems like a bit much just to get better quality on 3 or 4 channels.

Thanks, Gary.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Short answer = no. Garbage in = garbage out

Only HD will look better on the TV.

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

4. Drew_G

Drew_G Auditioning

You may also find that even your OTA digitals not in HDTV, look better than the locals over DIRECTV.

5. Gary PT

Gary PT Agent

I agree, Jan. DSS isn't as bad as I was expecting after reading some posts in this forum before I bought the Toshiba. Definitely better than my local cable would look. But while reading about features on the HDTV set-top boxes, one unit mentioned that it upconverts ALL signals to 1080i, providing a better picture on all sources. Did I mis-read or interpret this wrong?

Gary

6. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Upconversion is one thing. The 4:3 material upconverted on the HD broadcasts looks one way being done on millions of $$ of equipment. What will your $600 box give you in terms of upconversion.

Up converting to 1080i will likely add some upconversion artifacts into the image. Since detail is finite in the image, the STB cannot create new detail out of nothing ...

1080i upconverts are viewable ... but the S-video versions from the same STB's will almost always look better.

Regards