tosh 57h81 arriving friday , what to expect?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichardK, Sep 24, 2001.

1. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

hello my brother purchased this bad boy and it is coming friday. are there any oh sh'ts we should know about? we are gonna calibrate with avia. he doesnt have hd tuner yet nor a prog scan player (im gonna get him to buy a prog scan ASAP).
    please advise the j6p who is my brother of anything we the htf know it alls know on the 57h81.
    thanks for your help.

2. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

okay guys, this is being delivered tomorrow! what oh sh'ts should i be concerned about. i dont want my bro to be surprised and disappointed by something obvious like bad geometry or red push, blue push etc.
    please advise! he is a j6p and may not notice care otherwise, but still want to know
    thanks

3. JoelW

JoelW Stunt Coordinator

I just received my 57h81 yesterday. My initial reaction was that out of the box, it looked better than I expected but obviously wasn't as detailed and sharp as my old 32" tube. The absolute first thing I did was to turn down contrast and brightness to the 30 - 40 range. Also turn down the brightness control to the 10 -20 range.
    When you get done with that, you can give it a 9pt convergence through the same menu (scroll down), but until the guns settle in it probably won't help much. I've been told to not expect great things for the first 100 hours of use. Also, it takes the sets about 30 - 45 minutes to get properly warmed up. Make sure your set is warm before attempting these adjustments.
    I did do a very light calibration of mine with Avia this morning, but I didn't worry about getting it perfect, that will come later. DVDs look really good already, but Dish Network feed looks a little suspect and fuzzy.
    Bottom line is to enjoy it, but don't get too dissappointed if it doesn't immediately blow you away.
    ------------------
    Joel White
    Editor CheapHomeTheater.com

4. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

Hey thanks for the info. Dont worry we wont be disappointed, just wondered if there is anything obvious a regular consumer would notice, if not we're okay.
    please post back with more feedback, after we get it set up today, i will post back as well. ENJOY.