What's new

Tosh. 55HX70 issues after tweaking... (1 Viewer)

Maximil

Agent
Hello all, :)
Using Keohie.com as my guide, I have been messing with my TV ever since I got it about 2 months ago. At first my goal was to fix a couple of geometry issues and do overscan reduction. I first started by doing the 64point conv. then moved into the settings (only changed HIT, WID, HPOS, VPOS values so far) using string lines to center the picture. Since the grid seemed to be shifted about an inch too high I tried VCEN (since VPOS was as low as it could go), but that seemed to tilt the picture so I moved into messing with the centering magnets. I also disable VSM while I was in there. Then I moved on to focus. I first did the electronic and then the mechanical.
Now on to the issues at hand...
frown.gif

- I've been noticing now that convergence is shifted (red - left, green - center, blue - right)about 1/4" to the extreme on the left side and less to none as you move towards the center. This gradually goes away by about an hour after the TV is on. I've heard that things need to warm up, but I never noticed this befor all of my tweaking.
- There seems to be a slight ghost image or lining around edges, more noticable depending on image contrasts and colors.
- Geometry (grid line spacing) is off, undoubtedly due to my hours of 64point and user convergence tweaking. I wish there was a way to reset this... I'm almost tempted to shell out $100 for a grid overlay.
I feel like just trading my TV in for a new one!!
Please, any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Convergence being off when you start up the set is normal. TV requires about 30 to 60 minutes of good warm up before you mess with the convergence.
Just because you didn't notice it before does not mean that it was not there.
laugh.gif

Everything sounds about normal ...
And remember ... in the end ... you didi it to yourself.
biggrin.gif

Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Maximil

Agent
The shifted convergence is normal?? Is this something that can be lessened somehow?
How about resetting the user and/or 64point convergence - can this be done easily?
If no, knowing what the dimensions of the grid "rectangles" should be would help.
There does not seem to be a designer menu in the new models.
frown.gif

Thanks for reply!
And I fully accept the responsiblity for messing with things... the bruises on my butt from kicking myself attest to that
laugh.gif

[Edited last by Maximil on July 24, 2001 at 04:27 PM]

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
You can start worrying if the convergence problem doesn't go away after 60 minute.
You can speed up the warm up by pumping up the contrast and by using a white field.
Grid dimensions don't really matter if you firmly center your image with a proper overscan pattern. Once you determine the amount of overscan that your TV can handle, you can then customize your grids to match that level of overscan. And of course all the geometry associated with it.
I hope that in your zeal, you have not burned in the convergence grid into the crt.
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Maximil

Agent
By "amount of overscan that your TV can handle" you mean the least amount of overscan to where the ends of the gridlines are not visable?
I think I need to purchase this Avia disc I keep hearing about... Where's a good place on the net to pick one of these up?
Thanks again.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
By "amount of overscan that your TV can handle" you mean the least amount of overscan to where the ends of the gridlines are not visable?
More important is the condition of the lines at the edges. With extremely low levels of overscan (say 2-3%) you will see the horizontal lines bend up at the sides. You will not be able to correct this with convergence as you will screw up the other convergence points in the vicinity. The optics just can't tolerate it. Shoot for no less than 4-5% horizontal overscan on these sets.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Maximil

Agent
So how do you measure overscan?
I'm assuming that if my TV is 45" wide and say I want a 5% overscan on the sides the width of the vertical space off of the screen would be (.05*45)/2 or about just over an inch.
In other words 2.5% of the total width and 2.5% of the total hight of the screen will be off of the screen on the left & right and top & bottom?
I think I just made it sound overly complicated...
crazy.gif

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
So how do you measure overscan?
Use the Overscan test pattern on Avia or Video Essentials. It's a concentric grid that shows a range of percentages at the edges. Also guides you in centering the image.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Maximil

Agent
OK I guess it's time to get off my butt and just buy Avia...
Thanks for all of your help Jay :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks