What's new

Tosh 50H82 is out! (1 Viewer)

RickMel

Grip
The new Toshibas are slowly making it to market. OneCall.com just got the 50H82 this morning. I hope the 57" and 65" will be right behind.

...Trying to wait patiently for the Cinema series but may have to wait 'till Aug/Sept !!!!

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I called my local Toshiba wholesale distributor (Northeast PA area). I asked him why their pricing sheet had the '02 models cheaper than the '01. Before I knew it, I hung up before he'd answered my question. :) What he did tell me was that (I specified the 32fhx71) this line of '02 models won't be out until Sept/Oct. :frowning:

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Futureshop has it in their computers already at a listing of $3199CAD but they aren't in the warehouse yet. Give it another week is what I was told.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Hmmm. Decisions, decisions :) I'm trying to decide between the Tosh 50H82 ($1979 w/free shipping @ OneCall) & the Panny PT53WX42 ($1709 w/free shipping).
The Panny has native 480p, the Tosh doesn't. The Panny is 3" bigger & $270 cheaper. Out of the box, Tosh should be better, but after getting them ISF'ed, both should look just as good. The Tosh accepts 720p (but doesn't display it natively anyway), the Panny doesn't.
The Tosh has auto-convergence, but does the Panny? Also, with the Tosh, you only converge a single grid, but is that also true of the Panny?
I'm upgrading from the Tosh TW40X81. I was going to get the 50H82, but now I'm leaning toward the Panny PT53WX42.
What are your thoughts guys?
(BTW, OneCall's return policy on TVs reads "Televisions (mail order or retail) are always repaired directly through the manufacturer depending on that manufacturers policies." That scares me a little)

Chris_MJ

Agent
Brajesh, I am in the same boat as you. I had decided on the Toshoba 50h82 and I have even ordered it but now I am considering the new panny you linked. I am interested in what other people have to say on this. When you decide Brajesh, please inform me of your decision and vice versa. And you don't have to worry about me flubbing your name, my wife is East Indian!

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Chris, I've pretty much decided to go for the Panny. Having native 480p is the main reason. The price & size (over the Tosh) are just icing on the cake.

Chris_MJ

Agent
I was seriously considering the Panny but I from what I understand it is not available in Canada...:frowning:

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Maybe too frequently!
The PT-53WX52 is definitely coming to Canada but no ETA or price is available yet. The PT-47 has a 'street' price of $3199 and the PT-56 $4499, so somewhere in-between would be my guess! ;)
Is the PT-53 actually shipping in the US now?

Amit A

Auditioning
I am also trying to decide between the Tosh 50H82 and Panny PT53WX42. Does anyone know if the Panny is "DVI-upgradeable" like the Tosh claims to be? I will also be watching a cable signal about 50% of the time, so does one of these brands have a better line-doubler than the other?

Rick Faldo

Stunt Coordinator
All your comments comparing Toshiba to Panasonic are very interesting to me as I am a Toshiba owner and fan. No one mentions picture brightness or quality when discussing the two. I found Toshiba to be brighter, which is my preference. Regarding the new Toshiba Cinema Series coming this fall/winter, anyone notice the price? $9,000 MSRP...a bit steep for me. Anyone have any options as to why it would be so much more than the new 57HX81? To me, the 57HX81 is pretty good. Does Panasonic have anything comparable to this model? Toshiba claims extra long lens life with this model, phosphors or some such magic.
Rick

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
The $9,000 MSRP Tosh you mention is a DLP set with 1080p resolution! Give this technology a couple of years to come down to $2K range.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I just got the 50H82 in and if it is DVI upgradable, I'd really like to know how. The jack pack is identical to last year's model and I don't see any additional connectors on the inside of the set that weren't there last year.

As for the set itself, no complaints here! The overall picture quality looks to be better than last year's 50H81, most likely because they are using the better CRTs and the blackstripe lenticular (both only on Cinema Series last year). I can detect no differece in the 480p->540p conversion (I have a 50HX81 on-hand for comparison), but I've never had a big problem with this anyway. It's also really nice to be able to use the TheaterWide modes on 1080i sources.

If anybody has specific questions, fire away!

Rick Faldo

Stunt Coordinator
Any thoughts on the Toshiba "HX" series? Are they worth the extra money for the Pegasus II Crts and Niltava lens technology?
Everyone seems to be happy with their "H" series, just wondering on the differences versus extra cost.
I am considering the 57HX81 in the near future...picture looks great to me.
Rick

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
If the Panny 53 is anything like the PT47WX49 then it will be one helluva set. Have had my Panny 47 for about two months now and it looks better every day...an amazing set!

Amit A

Auditioning
John - Did you look at the Avia resolution test patterns when testing the new 50H82? I am really interested in finding out if the resolution and horizontal banding problems due to the upconversion still exist on the test patterns - especially the lack of lines in the 6.75 Mhz oval and the horizontal banding in all circles in the article below:
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brand...ichaeltlv.html
Thanks in advance for any info on this issue.
Amit

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Did you look at the Avia resolution test patterns when testing the new 50H82
Yes and it does show a bit more detail in the 6.75MHz circle than the 50HX81 does, yet images actually look sharper on the HX. Test patterns are not the end of the story. If anybody in my area wants to come down and independently verify this, feel free!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks