Tosh 43h71 Questions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RexAlan, Jan 15, 2002.

1. RexAlan

RexAlan Extra

Hello all...I did a search for my answers but did not find what I was looking for...hopefully someone can help me.
    I just bought a Toshiba 43h71 from Best Buy last saturday. I got a real good deal (1609.00 + tax!) I love the set, but I am having a few issues that are bothering me right now.
    First, does cable really look this bad on all RPTVs?? I have the digital cable box and it still looks like total crap! I know that it's my cable because I went to my other sets and looked closer and the picture is bad but not as noticable on a smaller 27" tv. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to make it look better. Could I buy a signal booster or filter or something to clear up the picture? What about DSS...does it look better?
    Second, when I watch a DVD through my Sony player with Component Video outputs (not a progressive player), I have to adjust the convergence before AND after viewing the DVD in the compression mode. It seems that when I use the compression mode it messes up the convergence settings from normal TV mode and I have to realign them. Is this normal or do I have faulty CRTs?
    Other than these two issues, I love the set! It is definitely state of the art in its inputs, DVD picture and functionality.
    Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!
    -Rex[​IMG]

2. RexAlan

RexAlan Extra

Can't anybody help?

Thanks

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

You'll have to define 'crap'! The same image on a 43" set is never going to look as crisp as it does on a 27". In general, the bigger you blow up an image the 'softer' it's going to look.

Try setting DNR to 'Auto' and turn the Sharpness control down to about 30. That should help some.

4. RexAlan

RexAlan Extra

Thanks for the input Johnny...
    I have been playing with it for the past 6 days and have made the picture a little better, but the cable coming through stills looks pretty bad. I know that it isn't going to look as good as a smaller set...I just expected it to look better than it does! I bought an HDTV monitor because I thought it made everything look better...guess I was wrong.
    What about the convergence issue? Anybody have a 43h71 that has to adjust the convergence so much? If this is how it's supposed to be....then the set is going back to Best Buy.
    Thanks and more input is always welcome!
    Rex[​IMG]