Tosh 42H81 convergence question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Josh~H, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

I'm having convergence issues that are driving me crazy. I've had my tv for more than a year now, with 300+ hours of usage. However, it does not seem to hold a convergence setting...the convergence appears to drift almost immediately after I set it! I sat down to watch Mission Impossible the other day, and noticed that the picture wasn't as good as I've seen it in the past. The TV had been on for about an hour. "Must be time to tweak the convergence again," I thought. I did the 9-point method, and it took a while since every time I changed one of the 9 points it changed at least one of the other points. But after 10 minutes I had all the crosshairs lining up. Picture looked pretty good (I've previously calibrated the colors using AVIA).

About 1/2 hour after doing the 9-point convergence, I decided to check it to see how much it had changed. To my surprise, it was totally out of whack, meaning all 9 points were not converging to various degrees, some points were 5-10 clicks off. I re-did the convergence, and then checked it again immediately. Despite having just lined up with the crosshairs, some of the points were already a few clicks off.

Should I even be relying on this 9-point convergence system? That is, just because the crosshairs line up, does that mean I'm reasonably "converged?" Also, I should mention that when I do the touch focus and examine the results with the 9-point menu, it's waaaay off (every point at least a few clicks off). Thus the touch focus method seems absolutely worthless to me.

So I guess I have two separate questions: (1) do I even have a prayer of getting reasonable convergence using the non-service-menu options? and (2) Given that my convergence appears to drift so much, so quickly, won't it likely do the same thing once I've completed the 56-point method, making all my hard work futile?

I have a 4 year extended warranty on this set. Would constantly-drifting convergence be a valid reason for repair/replacement in your opinion? I really love this set under most circumstances, but I can't deal with adjusting the convergence twice during each movie I watch! [​IMG]

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Since it's still under warranty I can't see the harm in getting a tech out to take a look at it.
    I too have the 42H81 and have noticed some drift. Not as bad as yours though. I thought it had something to do with my sub being pretty close to the monitor. Now that I have moved the sub it seems to not drift as much... at least I think it doesn't [​IMG].
    I will have had my set for 1 year in September and I will be getting a service guy to come out and take a look at it as well as get the yearly cleaning that is part of the extended warranty.

3. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

4. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Well, they say that the way RPTVs are set up, they are not as susceptible to magnetic interference as CRT tube TVs. On the other hand, could it hurt to try moving your speakers another 6 inches away? probably not. The worst that would happen is your staging would open up by having your speakers further away from the set.
    As for the center, I think it's far enough away from the guns. The vibrations might affect it a little. You may want to try those little rubber feet to dampen the speaker vibrations. Again, it couldn't hurt right?

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The Touch Focus will reset the 9-point, so do not press it after 'tweaking' the 9-point.