1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Tosh 40X81 gamma problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Max Leung, Jul 6, 2001.

1. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Early in the year, I performed the Herman-TLV maneuver with the aid of a CA-1 colorimeter. However, one thing has always bothered me...my contrast setting is "too low".
    That is, to keep the light output under 20 ftL I have to set my contrast to 10! Before performing the maneuver, contrast set to 30 would give me a blinding 45 ftL! Whereas it seems everyone else after ISF measures only 20ftL at 30 contrast (with the protective screen off).
    I'm wondering if my set's gamma is really effed up...with my Panny RP91, I can barely see any shadow detail unless I crank the player's gamma to the maximum +5 setting. I think that's nuts...my set is acting like an LCD projector! [​IMG]
    Any ideas? I can get acceptable shadow detail by cranking the contrast above 30, but of course I become blind during outdoor daylight scenes. And cranking the brightness washes out dark scenes (BRTC is around A5).
    Thanks!
    ------------------
    Max Leung

2. Ryan Pream

Ryan Pream Stunt Coordinator

I have not ISF'd my TW40X81 but I've done a lot of tweaking by eye. I have my contrast at 22, however since I've messed with the CRT trims that doesn't mean much. My Brightness is set to 38.
    Have you tried setting your TW40X81 to DTV mode instead of DVD mode? This makes it brighter. I'm still not sure if this has any other positive or negative effects. The only movie I have increased the gamma on is Cast Away. That movie has some dark scenes!
    I normally set my brightness on the RP91 to +2. That is the same value I get from Video essentials. For dark movies I will increase it to +4. I find the results better by increasing it on the RP91 than on the Toshiba. Stay away from the Contrast on the RP91. It creates color banding.
    Ryan
    ------------------

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I've pretty much resolved the issue in this
    thread .
    My blacks are lighter than before, but at least things aren't too horribly dark. I might try your suggestion...adjust brightness from the player, and then I can lower the brightness on the TV.