What's new

Torque - quick review (1 Viewer)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I believe it sets a high bar for most kinetic movie ever made. Even the effects shots are hyperactive. Consider one shot that has a street chase where someone hits their nitro injection button and the movie flows through the engine, follows the combustion, then flys through the riders brain and then out the back as he flys away (imagine a blend of The Fast and the Furious and the opening of Fight Club, at 10x speed).

All in all, it had some laughable dialog, a few nice practical stunts, a handful of badly staged simulated stunts (people on some obviously stationary mocked up bikes), silly story, and overacting galore. It's no FatF, a movie it directly mocks several times, but not as bad as it could be. Their surreal take on high speed motorcycles is unique to say the least. Considering the kind of film it is, it's probably a C+.

If you can't stand constantly active movies (such as any recent Michael Bay film), stay far away.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Didn't see Biker Boyz, so I couldn't comment.

The ads focus on the more outrageous stunts. But there are some good practical stunts and crashes that I enjoyed. I'm a big fan of real vehicle stunts (like you'd see in a bunch of direct to video releases, the original Gone in 60 Seconds, or something like Breakdown's finale). However, there was something to some of their stunts and even some of their CGI interludes which was fun.

Felipe S

Stunt Coordinator
first 3/4 of the movie is silly cheese... b-movie type stuff. After that point the movie crossed the line from silly to absurd... and i just couldn't wait for it to be over.... it didn't really have any real point to it... acting sucked... dialog sucked... directing and photography was amateurish. Sound design was pretty good. Action pieces were repetitive and had more potential...
like when the racecar goes flying out the truck and speeds away on the highway.... oh man this had so much potential but they didn't do anything with it.

I'm just glad the whole movie only lasted 1 hr 15 min + trailers + credits.

I wouldn't bother even renting this .... so called 'movie'.

AllanN

Supporting Actor

I have not yet seen the movie. Ill wait for the $1 Theater or Netflix. But considering the director’s background its no surprise that it sounds like an 81 minute music video.

Evan Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Biker Boys was a better movie with a better story (Never thought I would say that when comparing Biker Boys to any movie). Torque was a pretty cast and lots of BAD special effects and extremely implausible stunts.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Thats funny, my motorcycle can't fly. I thought Biker Boyz's drag-race in the dirt was far fetched....this movie is just so far over the top I can't see how anybody could suspend their disbelief.:thumbsdown:

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I guess I thought it was okay because I didn't have to suspend my disbelief. The movie was pretty up front that it wasn't reflecting reality, so if you go in with the frame of mind that it was going to be over the top stunts and effects, you might find some fun in there. It was almost as if they asked themselves, "if we don't have to conform to any rules of physics, what could we do". And then you end up with bikes that break the sound barrier and hand to hand combat on said bikes.

Let me put it this way - If you didn't feel like you could take the unreality in a film like The Transporter, you certainly won't like this one. The same kind of "unreal but we did it because it looks cool" spirit that had him jumping a car off of a bridge onto a moving car carrier is pervasive in this flick.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
This movie is just awful. That said, the horrific dialog and absurd stunts add a nice comedic touch. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks