1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Toronto International Film Festival online film list

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Brian Thibodeau, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

I'd be the first to admit a whole schedule of HK Action filcks would be a bit much, but I don't recall Geddes actually filling a schedule with them. It must be said, though, that his love for the form comes from working as the projectionist at the Golden Harvest cinema on Spadina before it closed and running the Kung Fu Friday's shows at The Royal Cinema out in Toronto's Little Italy district for the past several years, so perhaps he realized he needed to lean way from so much Asian - not just Hong Kong - material to please the masses. Problem is, the films have become even more of a mixed bag in terms of audience response.

Personally, I still think the Asian filmmakers in general, and not just those from Hong Kong, are making the most inventive, resourceful, Midnight Madness-worthy films of any culture. But as I said in my previous post, I do have a bias myself: were I the programmer at Midnight Madness, I'd probably stuff at least half the schedule with films from all over Asia (goodness knows, I can think of several I've seen this year that would more than qualify for inclusion). Say what you will about RAHTREE, and I might even be inclined to agree with you had I seen it on video rather than in a theatreful of like-minded people, but that thing moved, man. Barely a dull moment, plenty of colourful character actors instead of the usual cast of prettyboys and pop tarts Thai filmmakers tend to rely on, and an admirable willingness to stay true to its intentions right through to the end.

Oh yeah, and I just remembered the dumbest question of the evening posed to the director of that film. Someone asked him about the "nickname" of the lead actress and how such nicknames came about in the Thai culture (I've since come to think he was ignorantly mixing up Thai and Filipino culture, since the latter is known for strange (to us only) English given names). Otherwise, since there were no subs on the credits of the film, I'm assuming this chap was getting it from the festival guide or from some online source, in which case he could've dug a little deeper online for an answer instead of posing it to a filmmaker who's English is limited and who is probably not that aware of the practise in the first place (which was certainly evidenced by his rather puzzled response).

"Excuse me, Wong Kar-wai, enough about your film, could you explain to the audience why Tony Leung is sometimes called "Little Tony Leung" and also why he has an italian first name?" Waaaahhh!

2. Eric Howell

Eric Howell Stunt Coordinator

LOL, forgot about that question Brian... unfortunately Toronto audiences are normally too polite to boo stupid questioners.

Another all time favorite question, directed toward Elijah Wood during the Q&A for Try Seventeen: [teeny bopper mode on]“What was it like working with Mandy (Moore)!!??”[/teeny bopper]

3. Brian Thibodeau

This is a uniquely Canadian affliction, despite the increased number of non-Canadians in attendance at these shows. As a collective, we seem more inclined to roll our eyes, quietly tsk-tsk, sigh through our noses and whisper bad things about the asker of the stupid question to our mates. It fuckin' kills me to be so complacent sometimes, but there you are...

Mind you, I'm losing my ability to control my inner thoughts as I get older: I was at a local Fall Fair when my girlfriend and I unwittingly dashed past this really obese woman and her innocent young son, an act for which I was just about to apologize until she bellowed "Niiice mooove, asshole!" to which I responded "Fuck you, Godzilla. Lose some weight!" That child may have difficulties when he grows up, but where was that freedom of expression when I needed it at the RAHTREE Q&A? Sigh...

4. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

I've just been going over past TIFF schedules and it looks like I over-exaggerated the "wall-to-wall HK action flicks" comment.
    There is nowhere as near as many HK films in Geddes's picks that I had remembered...but I still prefer Cowan's picks.
    It is surprising just how many of these films have totally disappeared since premiering at the fest, never to be seen again..

For your entertainment pleasure, the evolution of the TIFF Midnight Madness program:

Presented by Noah Cowan:

The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years
    Big Time
    Hellbound: Hellraiser II
    Heavy Petting
    Forbidden to Forbid/Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em
    Brand New Day
    Brain Damage

Dr. Caligari
    Lenny Henry: Live and Unleashed
    Opera
    Carnival of Souls
    (restored version)
    Space Avenger
    Funny
    Over Easy/Shimmelsteen/No Such Thing as Gravity/Whoregasm
    Heavy Petting
    Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Over-Fiend

Two Evil Eyes
    Bride of the Re-Animator
    Hardware
    My Degeneration
    The Church
    Frankenhooker
    Def By Temptation
    Meet the Feebles
    Tetsuo: The Iron Man

Children of the Night
    The Sect
    The Borrower
    The Arrival
    (not the Charlie Sheen film)
    Motorama
    Guilty as Charged
    The Raid
    Blood & Concrete
    A Chinese Ghost Story III

Candyman
    Man Bites Dog
    Tokyo Decadence
    Saviour of the Soul
    Back to the USSR
    Romper Stomper
    Dead/Alive
    (Braindead)
    Tetsuo II: Body Hammer
    Swordsman II

Dazed and Confused
    Freaked
    Wicked City
    (animation)/Wicked City (live action)
    Trauma
    Accion Mutante
    The Making of...And God Spoke
    Jack Be Nimble
    Frauds
    The Last Border

A program of 10 music videos

Nightwatch (original version)
    Love and a .45
    Schramm
    Naked Killer
    Dellamorte Dellamore
    Tokarev
    S.F.W.
    The Eagle-Shooting Hero

Midnight Madness music video/Extreme short films
    Spike of Love

Crying Freeman
    The Day of the Beast
    Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
    Mute Witness
    Screamers
    Synthetic Pleasures
    Tokyo Fist
    Trailer Camp
    Wizard of Darkness

Curdled
    Killer Tongue
    Road Movie
    Organ
    The Stendhal Syndrome
    All of Them Witches
    Ratchet
    Screwed
    Gamera 2: Assault of Legion

Presented by Noah Cowan & Colin Geddes:

Office Killer
    A Chinese Ghost Story
    (animation)
    Orgasmo
    I Married a Strange Person
    Sick: The Life and Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist
    Fudoh: The New Generation
    The Ugly
    Love God

Presented by Colin Geddes:

The Acid House
    Cascadeur: The Amber Chamber
    Hang the DJ
    Heaven
    I Woke Up Early the Day I Died
    Mighty Peking Man
    Perdita Durango
    Night Time
    Six-String Samurai

Freeway II: Confessions of a Trick Baby
    The Wisdom of Crocodiles
    Komodo
    The Item
    Wadd: The Life and Times of John C.Holmes
    Born to Loose: The Last Rock and Roll Movie
    Possessed
    (Besat)
    Fever
    Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris

Time and Tide
    The Foul King
    The Irrefutable Truth About Demons
    The American Nightmare
    The Mission
    Tell Me Something
    6ixtynin9
    City of Lost Souls
    Wild Zero

The American Astronaut
    Antinome
    Bang Rajan: The Legend of the Village Warriors
    The Bunker
    Dogtown and Z Boys
    Eat
    Electric Dragon 80,000 V
    Full Time Killer
    Ichi the Killer
    Brotherhood of the Wolf
    Versus

Alive
    Bubba Ho-Tep
    Cabin Fever
    The Eye
    Volcano High
    MC5:A True Testimonial
    My Little Eye
    Spun

Cypher
    End of the Century: The Story of the Ramones
    Gozu
    Ju-On: The Grudge
    Haute Tension
    Ong-Bak
    Save the Green Planet
    Undead
    Underworld

5. Brian Thibodeau

I must admit, now that I've seen your complete list, Bill, and having seen the majority of these films on video over the years, that Cowan's collective Midnight Madness programmes feature a higher quantity of movies that I ultimately liked when I finally saw them on video. I didn't start going to the festival until 1999, so I wasn't aware of the complete list of MM shows. I would've gone in 1997 or 1998, but at the time, none of those films interested me and when I did get around to seeing most of them on video, few impressed me. For the 1999 programme, I only bought tickets to GAMERA 3, and again, none of the others wowed me when I saw them at home.

I think Geddes really nailed it, though, in 2000 and, to a lesser extent, 2001, with an impressive mix of the truly unique. Mind you, I'm biased toward the 2000 run because, as I mentioned, I love Asian cinema and seven shows from that programme were from that part of the world. I thought 2002's collection was largely a mixed bag (with only two Asian films), with a slight improvement for 2003 (with four), but another drop this year (in which the few Asian films seemed to get the most positive response, which is telling).

As I mentioned above, I've seen DVDs and trailers for plenty of far wilder films that could've been included in this years MM series, but who knows the troubles Geddes probably goes through in securing even the films he does get...