Toronto International Film Festival online film list

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Brian Thibodeau, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

2. JonathanG

JonathanG Stunt Coordinator

just ordered my film programme! hooray! The only North American film festival that makes such a programme easily available for film conniseurs.

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

After only a semi-brief and cursory glance at the programs, this would be my Wish List:

5 x 2 - Francois Ozon
    The Assassination of Richard Nixon - Niels Mueller (Sean Penn, Naomi Watts, Don Cheadle)
    Bad Education - Pedro Almodovar
    Being Julia - Istvan Szabo (Bruce Greenwood, Jeremy Irons, Annette Bening)
    Beyond the Sea - Kevin Spacey (Kevin Spacey, Kate Bosworth, John Goodman)
    Breaking News - Johhny To
    Calvaire - Fabrice Du Welz
    Childstar - Don McKellar (Jennifer Jason Leigh, Dave Foley, Michael Murphy)
    Clean - Olivier Assayas (Nick Nolte, Maggie Cheung, Don McKellar)
    Crash - Paul Haggis (Sandra Bullock, Don Cheadle, Matt Dillon)
    Creep - Christopher Smith (Franka Potente, Sean Harris)
    Dead Birds - Alex Turner (Henry Thomas, Nicki Lynn Aycox, Isaiah Washington)
    Dear Frankie - Shona Auerbach (Emily Mortimer, Gerard Butler)
    A Dirty Shame - John Waters (Tracey Ullman, Johnny Knoxville, Selma Blair)
    Downfall: Hitler and the End of the Third Reich - Oliver Hirschbiegel
    Enduring Love - Roger Michell (Samantha Morton, Susan Lynch, Bill Nighy)
    Eros - Michelangelo Antonioni, Kar Wai Wong, Steven Soderbergh
    Final Cut: The Making and Unmaking of Heavens Gate - Michael Epstein
    Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence - Mamoru Oshii
    A Good Woman - Mike Barber (Helen Hunt, Scarlett Johansson)
    Haven - Frank E. Flowers (Bill Paxton, Orlando Bloom)
    Head in the Clouds - John Duigan (Charlize Theron, Penelope Cruz)
    The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things - Asia Argento (Peter Fonda, Ben Foster)
    I Heart Buckabee's - David O. Russell (Jude Law, Naomi Watts, Jason Schwartzman)
    Imaginary Heroes - Dan Harris (Sigourney Weaver, Emile Hirsch, Jeff Daniels)
    Kinsey - Bill Condon (Liam Neeson, Laura Linney, Chris O'Donnell)
    Kung Fu Hustle - Stephen Chow
    Land of Plenty - Wim Wenders
    The Libertine - Laurence Dunmore (Johnny Depp, Samantha Morton, John Malkovich)
    The Merchant of Venice - Michael Radford (Al Pacino, Jeremy Irons, Joseph Fiennes)
    Millions - Danny Boyle
    Modigliani - Mick Davis (Andy Garcia, Udo Kier, Lance Henriksen)
    The Motorcycles Diaries - Walter Salles (Gael Garcia Bernal, Rodrigo de la Serna)
    Noel - Chazz Palminteri (Paul Walker, Robin Williams, Susan Sarandon)
    Notre Musique - Jean-Luc Godard
    Old Boy - Chan-wook Park
    P.S. - Dylan Kidd (Laura Linney, Topher Grace, Gabriel Byrne)
    Palindromes - Todd Solondz (Ellen Barkin, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Richard Masur)
    Phil the Alien - Rob Stefaniuk (Joe Flaherty, John Kapelos, Nicole de Boer)
    Ray - Taylor Hackford (Jamie Foxx, Regina King, Curtis Armstrong)
    Return to Sender - Billie August (Connie Nielsen, Aidan Quinn, Kelly Preston)
    Saint Ralph - Michael McGowan (Campbell Scott, Jennifer Tilly, Adam Butcher)
    The Sea Within - Alejandro Amenabar (Javier Bardem)
    Shark Tale [​IMG]
    Siblings - David Weaver (Nicholas Campbell, Katharine Isabelle, Sarah Polley)
    Sideways - Alexander Payne (Paul Giamatti, Thomas Haden Church, Virginia Madsen)
    Silver City - John Sayles (Chris Cooper, Richard Dreyfuss, Michael Murphy)
    Stage Beauty - Richard Eyre (Billy Crudup, Claire Danes, Rupert Everett)
    Sucker Free City - Spike Lee
    Tarnation - Jonathan Caouette
    Undertow - David Gordon Green (Jamie Bell, Josh Lucas, Dermot Mulroney)
    Unforgivable Blackness - Ken Burns
    When Will I Be Loved - James Toback (Neve Campbell, Karen Allen, Lori Singer)

4. Albert Noel

Albert Noel Stunt Coordinator

i doint know much about film fests
    can the average joe get in to check some of those out>?

i'm dying to see GITS 2

5. Brian Thibodeau

The average joe can indeed get in to check some of those out, but I'd recommend getting yur tickets as soon as possible. They tend to sell out quickly once they're put on sale. This year, they go on sale on Aug. 31, just a measly 9 days before the start of the festival, but thankfully they've got online ordering at the site linked in my first post.

In previous years, if you didn't live in Toronto, you were pretty much screwed, since they made you go to the downtown boxoffice in person to buy your tickets. The lineups for Visa holders (a major sponsor) was actually pretty short, so I usually just stayed at a pal's place the weekend the box office opened and then popped down on the subway to see what i could get. It's a crapshoot sometimes, but if you're persistent, you can get what you need.

I believe GHOST 2 is a Midnight Madness showing. Those used to sell out a little slower, but last year, even these shows sold out pretty early.

I'm hoping to get tickets to HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS and OLD BOY. The big premieres, of which these are two, I think, also tend to have the most talent in attendance, if you're into that sorta thing.

Good luck!

6. Albert Noel

Albert Noel Stunt Coordinator

my brother lives in toronto so maybe i'll stay with him for a couple of nights and check it out.

it's a long haul from ottawa area [​IMG]

7. Brian Thibodeau

I just noticed that SINGLE tickets for performances don't seem to be available until Sept. 8, the night before the festival. So anyone looking to attend from out of town, might have to do so on short notice, or just grab tix to whatever's left over once they're actually in town.

8. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

Here is my list so far for this years film fest. Im trying to avoid all the big films this year as they always seem to get released right after the festival ends. I also don't have that much free time this year too so I will only see the most nessary films. The website for the Toronto Film Festival doesn't have alot of information on the films being shown so Im waiting for the programe so I can decide what else to see at the film fest.

Dialoge: Talking With Pictures
    1. The Brood David Cronenberg

Special Presentations
    1. Kung Fu Hustle Stephen Chow
    2. The General Buster Keaton

Midnight Madness

1. Calvaire Fabrice du Welz
    2. Creep Christopher Smith
    3. Dead Birds Alex Turner
    4. Kontroll Nimród Antal
    5. The Machinist Brad Anderson
    6. Rahtree: Flower of the Night Yuthlert Sippapak
    7. Saw James Wan
    8. Zebraman Takashi Miike

-Mike

9. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

Kung-Fu Hustle is actually playing at an acceptable time (9pm on a Tuesday), and it just happens to fall on my wife's birthday. [​IMG]

I may just have to take a half day off work to catch it Thursday morning.

10. Eric Howell

Eric Howell Stunt Coordinator

These are the ones I'll be seeing(depending on how well my picks go). Missed out on The Love Crimes of Gillian Guess, Eros, and Spider Forest because of conflicts.:

3-Iron, Kim Ki-duk, 2004
    A Dirty Shame, John Waters, 2004
    Bad Education, Pedro Almodóvar, 2004
    Breaking News, Johnnie To, 2004
    Calvaire, Fabrice du Welz, 2004
    Clean, Olivier Assayas, 2004
    Creep, Christopher Smith, 2004
    Dead Birds, Alex Turner, 2004
    Días de Santiago
    Double Dare, Amanda Micheli, 2003
    Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, Mamoru Oshii, 2004
    Going Upriver: The Long War of John Kerry, George T. Butler, 2004
    Gunner Palace, Michael Tucker, Petra Epperlein, 2004
    Haven
    House of Flying Daggers, Zhang Yimou, 2004
    Kontroll, Nimród Antal, 2003
    Kung Fu Hustle, Stephen Chow, 2004
    Les Revenants, Robin Campillo, 2004
    Low Life, Im Kwon-taek, 2004
    Millions, Danny Boyle, 2004
    Nobody Knows, Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2004
    Notre Musique
    Old Boy, Park Chan-wook, 2003
    P.S.
    Palindromes, Todd Solondz, 2004
    Phil the Alien, Rob Stefaniuk, 2004
    Primer, Shane Carruth, 2004
    Private, Saverio Costanzo, 2004
    Rahtree: Flower of the Night, Yuthlert Sippapak, 2004
    Salvador Allende
    Saw, James Wan, 2004
    ScaredSacred, Velcrow Ripper, 2004
    Shake hands w Devil
    Silver City, John Sayles, 2004
    Steamboy, Katsuhiro Otomo, 2004
    Sucker Free City, Spike Lee, 2004
    The Machinist, Brad Anderson, 2004
    The Overture, Itthi-sunthorn Wichailak, 2004
    The Raspberry Reich, Bruce LaBruce, 2004
    The Woodsman, Nicole Kassell, 2004
    Three of Hearts: a postmodern family
    Throw Down, Johnnie To, 2004
    Trauma, Marc Evans, 2004
    Tropical Malady, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2004
    Undertow, David Gordon Green, 2004
    Vital, Shinya Tsukamoto, 2004
    Year of Yeo
    Zebraman, Takashi Miike, 2004

11. Scott Weinberg

So who's gonna be at the festival?

12. Brian Thibodeau

They seem to be leaving the guests lists til the last minute this year, which is not uncommon.

I'm only there for a couple days this year, so I got my girfriend and I tickets to RAHTREE, STEAMBOY and ZEBRAMAN. I'm extremely pissed that I couldn't get tickets for OLD BOY, even first thing this morning! I guess I can't stay steamed too long since virtually very Korean and Hong Kong picture at the fest has been on DVD for awhile now (including THROW DOWN and BREAKING NEWS).

I wish I had the time (and the money) to put together a list like Eric's!

13. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

I'm going to be there!!
    I've got 57 films lined up. [​IMG]

Brian, the guest list was posted on August 24.
    For those interested, here it is (2 lists):

The following filmmakers are expected to attend the Toronto International Film Festival: Chris Abraham, Maren Ade, Chantal Akerman, René Alberta, Lisandro Alonso, Alejandro Amenábar, Santi Amodeo, Thom Andersen, Brad Anderson, Theo Angelopoulos, Dominic Angerame, Gregg Araki, Zev Asher, Olivier Assayas, Greg Atkins, Yvan Attal, Shona Auerbach, Bille August, Ian Gabriel, Cameron Bailey, Mark Bamford, Mike Barker, Christophe Barratier, Christopher Behnisch, Liu Bingjian, Katrin Bowen, Don Boyd, Danny Boyle, Catherine Breillat, Margaret Brown, Jim Brown, Ken Burns, Robin Campillo, Jonathan Caouette, Xan Cassavetes, Semi Chellas, Deborah Chow, Jerry Ciccoritti, Bill Condon, Sebastian Cordero, MichPle Cournoyer, Paul Cox, Jay Dahl, Charles Dance, Mick Davis, Alex de la Iglesia, Claire Denis, Raymond Depardon, Arnaud Desplachin, Saul Dibb, Mélanie Dion, Anita Doron, Ziad Doueiri, Mike Dowse, Fabrice du Welz, Mickey Madoda Dube, Félix Dufour-LaperriPre, John Duigan, Juan Manuel Echavarría, Guy Edoin, Kelly Egan, Fernando Eimbcke, Petra Epperlein, Michael Epstein, Marc Evans, Éléanore Faucher, Debra Felstead, Ismaël Ferroukhi, Jay Field, Fabrizio Filippo, Morgan Fisher, Frank E. Flowers, Frédéric Fonteyne, André Forcier, Sarah Fortin, Eytan Fox, Antoine Fuqua, Florian Gallenberger, Janie Geiser, Terry George, Robert Guédiguian, Bahman Ghobadi, Hugh Gibson, Terry Gilliam, Amos Gitai, Anais Granofsky, Anthony Green, David Gordon Green, Patricio Guzman, Taylor Hackford, Lucile Hadzihalilovic, Paul Haggis, Liu Hao, Dan Harris, Pierre Hébert, Oliver Hirschbiegel, Hendrik Hölzemann, Christophe Honoré, Tom Hooper, Jan Hrebejk, David Hyde, Attila Janisch, Vadim Jean, Norman Jewison, Xiao Jiang, Lawrence Jordan, Buboo Kakati, Susan Kaplan, Nicole Kassell, Lodge Kerrigan, Dylan Kidd, Lewis Klahr, Carl Knutson, Hirokazu Kore-eda, Panos Koutras, Marco Kreuzpaintner, John L'Écuyer, Bruce LaBruce, Chris Landreth, Carole Laure, Simon Lavoie, Clara Law, Sook-yin Lee, André Lehmann, Alex Levine, Mark A. Lewis, Philippe Lioret, Peter Lynch, Daniel MacIvor, Guy Maddin, Alexi Manis, Caroline Martel, Zola Maseko, Teddy Mattera, Bruce McDonald, Carlo Mazzacurati, Brad McGann, Ra'up McGee, Michael McGowan, Don McKellar, Wrik Mead, Shane Meadows, Julia Meltzer, Josué Méndez, María Victoria Menis, Dmitry Meskhiyev, Marziyeh Meshkini, Peter Mettler, Amanda Micheli, Su Qing, Mina, Roger Michell, Luis Mondoki, Wajdi Mouawad, Lúcia Murat, Safy Nebbou, Gail Noonan, Andrew Noren, Jonathan Nossiter, Guka Omarova, Joaquín Oristrell, David Ostry, François Ozon, Chazz Palminteri, Davina Pardo, Goran Paskaljevic, Pawel Pawlikowski, Alexander Payne, Brad Peyton, Enrique Piñeyro, Sally Potter, Charlotte Pryce, Michael Radford, Atiq Rahimi, Joseph Raso, Peter Raymont, Marina Razbehkina, Juan Pablo Rebella, Anna Reeves, Jacques Richard, Thomas Riedelsheimer, Velcrow Ripper, Svetozar Ristovki, Daniel Roby, Françoise Romand, Darrell James Roodt, Patricia Rozema, David O. Russell, Jean-Paul Salomé, Gus Van Sant, Hubert Sauper, Simon Sauvé, John Sayles, Volker Schlöndorff, Elida Schogt, Patricia Harris Seeley, Ousmane Sembene, Cate Shortland, Lori Silverbush, Matt Sinclair-Foreman, Yuthlert Sippapak, Michael Skolnik, Christopher Smith, Dylan Akio Smith, Carlos Sorin, Kevin Spacey, Jeffrey St. Jules, Rob Stefaniuk, John Stephenson, James D. Stern, Pablo Stoll, Deborah Stratman, Ramadan Suleman, István Szabó, David Thorne, Blaine Thurier, Johnny To, Pablo Trapero, Toni Strasburg, Michael Tucker, Alex Turner, Erik Van Looy, Agnes Varda, Alexander Voulgaris, Pantelis Voulgaris, James Wan, John Waters, David Weaver, Bruce Weber, Wim Wenders, Mark S. Wexler, Alice Wu, Xelinda Yancy, Gary Yates, Zhang Yimou, Pjer Žalica, Jia Zhang-ke, and Vilmos Zsigmond.

The Toronto International Film Festival also welcomes the best international stars. The list of actors and special guests of the Festival, including documentary subjects, are: Joan Allen, Devon Allen, Jim Allodi, Kevin Bacon, Liane Balaban, Maria Bello, Gil Bellows, Annette Bening, Zachary Bennett, Gael García Bernal, Selma Blair, Orlando Bloom, Lindy Booth, Kate Bosworth, Benjamin Bratt, Sandra Bullock, Adam Butcher, Bill Buxton, Alex Campbell, Robin Cass, Viktoria Charalabidou, Maury Chaykin, Don Cheadle, Joan Chen, Jonas Chernick, Maggie Cheung, Thomas Haden Church, Tony Cianciotta, Michael Cohl, Joely Collins, Lynn Collins, Paddy Considine, Chris Cooper, Daniel Craig, Wendy Crewson, Billy Crudup, Lt.-Gen. Roméo Dallaire, Timothy Daly, Claire Danes, Jeff Daniels, Robert Dayton, Mos Def, Stephen Dillane, Emmanuelle Devos, Taye Diggs, Andrea Dorfman, Matt Dillon, Doug E. Doug, Romain Duris, Roger Ebert, Ted East, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Aunjanue Ellis, Jennifer Esposito, Eve, Niv Fichman , Joseph Fiennes, Colin Firth, Joe Flaherty, Jamie Foxx, Roger Frappier, Brendan Fraser, Patrick Fugit, Allegra Fulton, Clara Furey, Bruno Ganz, Andy Garcia, Paul Giamatti, Sharon Gless, Danny Glover, John Goodman, Topher Grace, Bruce Greenwood, Paul Gross, Emily Hampshire, Martha Henry, Eva Herzigova, Emile Hirsch, Dustin Hoffman, Bob Hoskins, Danny Huston, Helen Hunt, Isabelle Huppert, Michael Imperioli, Jeremy Irons, Stephanie James, Rebecca Jenkins, Clark Johnson, Gérard Jugnot, Jeffery Katzenberg, Michael Kennedy, Leleti Khumalo, Regina King, John Kirk, Johnny Knoxville, David Koh, Robert Lantos, Alexandra Maria Lara, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Damian Lewis, Laura Linney, Josh Lucas, Anthony Mackie, Virginia Madsen, Michel Maillot, Ziggy Marley, Fele Martínez, Jean-Baptiste Maunier, Tom McCamus, Patrick McKenna, Emily Mortimer, Dermot Mulroney, Liam Neeson, Connie Nielsen, Nick Nolte, Charles Officer, Sandra Oh, Sophie Okonedo, Michael Ondaatje, Peter Outerbridge, Al Pacino, Ellen Page, Vincent Pastori, Bill Paxton, Sean Penn, Yolande Perrault, Gordon Pinsent, Kevin Pollack, Sydney Pollack, Sarah Polley, Franka Potente, Kelly Preston, Lucy Punch, Mark Rendall, Callum Keith Rennie, Lazar Ristovski, Joan Rivers, Jesse Rosensweet, Scott Rudin, Paul and Tatiana Rusesabagina, Zoe Saldana, Maya Sansa, Susan Sarandon, Peter Sarsgaard, Jason Schwartzman, Kyra Sedgewick, Pete Seeger, Martin Short/Jiminy Glick, Sonja Smits, Robert Stadlober, Peter Stebbings, Hilary Swank, Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi, Charlize Theron, Henry Thomas, Kristin Scott Thomas, Kristen Thomson, Jacob Tierney, Lily Tomlin, Luis Tosar, Stuart Townsend, Tracey Ullman, Kostja Ullmann, Simone Urdl, Federico Veiroj, Ingrid Veninger, Wiebke von Carolsfeld, Mark Wahlberg, Paul Walker, Leigh Wannell, Kerry Washington, Sigourney Weaver, The Weavers, Jimmy Weber, Jennifer Weiss, Michelle Williams, Cindy Wolfe, Ziyi Zhang, and Elsa Zylberstein.

[​IMG]

14. Scott Weinberg

Cool. Have a great time!

And if you see a tall, thin, dorkly-looking guy with a black Eagles hat, be sure to say hi. That's me.

15. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

Well, I missed out on tickets to Steamboy, but I did manage to get tickets to the morning screening of Kung Fu Hustle. [​IMG]

16. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Boycott as long as they insist on showing Casuistry. They should be ashamed.

17. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

Julian, have you seen the film Casuistry? If so, I'd be curious to hear why it is so objectionable. If not, please read this before making any further judgements. From the article and what else I've read about it, I see no reason for the filmfest to be ashamed...

Casuistry is not the actual video of the cat being killed. Nor, as far as I know, does it contain ANY footage of that video within the movie. By the way, here is the definition of the word "casuistry" (in particular, note definition number 1).

18. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

No, Bob, being a good ways away from Toronto, I haven't seen it, I'm going by what I've been told. Have you seen it?

I find the title alone offensive. The filmmaker should not have connected the word art and cat killing in any form. Even if the film is neutral towards the animal torturers, I think the title glorifies the sickness.

I read the links you provided. It is one person's opinion, and a film reviewer at that. God knows, I have disagreed with enough of them over the years. I'd be interested in knowing your opinion, but not interested in seeing it myself. I see enough animals suffering through people's stupidity & ignorance, seeing gratuitous animal torture is more than I can stand.

19. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I'm going to be in Toronto the week of the 13. I guesss I'll miss being able to get into any shows, seeing as I haven't bought any tickets but do any locals have any suggestions for good places to buy DVDs? Looking for more obscure titles than the typical Future Shop selection.

20. Brian Thibodeau

SUSPECT VIDEO, just south of Bloor (1 block Wast of Bathurst??) in the tacky Honest Ed's building, is a great place to see what weird stuff is available, although their "for sale" selection is a bit thin and overpriced. Sometimes they have cool used titles on sale as well.

BAY VIDEO, just south of the intersection of Bay and Bloor streets, next to the Tim Hortons on the West side of the street, is an excellent place that stocks "for sale" copies of just about everything (well, everything that's available in Canada, anyways). Small store with a huge stock of wicked stuff. The staff are annoying cinema aesthetes who never shut up (then again, so are most of the customers) but you'll probably find some OK prices in this place. They don't get the sale price on new releases that Future Shop or Walmart does, but they at least get copies of just about every new title.

There are also some decent used places along Bloor Street in the Annex Area (Bloor and Spadina over to Bloor and Bathhurst), including a big converted Bi-Way store called SONIC BOOM that has a pretty good selection, but the prices are a bit high (which means they pay better prices if you've got stuff to sell, though). There's also SECOND SPIN, a tiny little place, also in The Annex area on the North side that gets a lot of used stuff (lots of boxed sets) and has fairly reasonable prices. There's a little place across the street and west of this shop that also has some interesting used titles. Can't remember the name of the store, so be careful not to walk past it.

If you have even the remotest interest in Asian cinema, including virtually EVERYTHING that's playing at the Festival, head up to Pacific Mall in Markham (at the intersection of Kennedy and Steeles, you can't miss the big glass structure). Plenty of bootleggers in the places, but the legit dealers aren't too hard to find (look for Broadcast Book and Gift for starters, then head to the other mall next door and look for W.Y. Trading Company). Lots of good VCDs and DVDs in these places.