Toronto Area! Fun Bicycle Tour and Harvest Rally this Sunday Sept 22!! Come on out !!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Hello all,
    The Rouge Duffins Greenspace Coalition is having a fun Bicycle Tour and Harvest Rally along with other local community groups to promote awareness about endangered Agricultural Land and Green Space in Pickering. Please come out and support our "Link the Lake to the Moraine" initiative and help put a stop to Urban Sprawl! The bicycle tour through beautiful farmland and countryside is in the morning from 10:30 am to 12:00 noon (registration starts at 9:30 am) and the Harvest Rally is from 12:00 noon to 6:00 pm. The Bicycle Tour and Harvest Rally is taking place at the Herongate Barn Theatre 2885 Altona Road, Pickering . In addition to politicians and environmental speakers addressing the issues at hand, the Harvest Rally will have lots of music with live bands and food and drink (including beer). This is going to be a really fun day so why not come out and support a good cause. Please forward this information to as many people as possible.
    Please see the the link below for the Bike Tour.
    http://ca.geocities.com/rougeduffins/bicycle.html
    and for the Harvest Rally
    http://www.herongate.com/Green/main.html
    Chris Coltas
    Rouge Duffins Greenspace Coalition
    To register call (416) 208-0252 or email me, Chris at cpc2@sympatico.ca

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    11km??? That's like 6.6 miles! It would take all of like 20 minutes to ride that...I guess for an hour and a half, you'd have to do like 5 loops or so. [​IMG]
    Just joking, but good luck with that urban sprawl initiative, wish we had some initiative around here about 20 years ago.
    Jay

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

The Bicycle Tour is a very laid back casual type of bike ride with a few stops along the way to talk about the context of the agricultural land and greenspace that can be seen at each stop. Its really a beautiful area.
    So you had an anti-urban sprawl initiative 20 years ago! Wow. Thats cool. Where is that?
    [​IMG]

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I'm around NYC, but I said "wish" not that we did have any. It is only now were trying to keep the stinkin golf courses and housing developments and shopping malls from taking over every land area not developed already. Building more roads is not the solution either but nobody has seemingly realized that yet. If there wasn't so much history in the area, revolutionary war stuff, I'm afraid it probably would have been paved long time ago.

Jay

5. Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel Stunt Coordinator

I'm fortunate to live about 10 minutes from a great, heavily forested urban mountain that is laced with a network of trails of varying degrees of difficulty. It's a bit of mountain biking and hiking paradise in the midst of urban sprawl.

A number of years ago, the university at the top of the mountain struck a deal with the municpal government to begin developing beyond the parameters of the campus. Much consultation with user and envirnmental groups followed, and we were assured the recreational integrity of the mountain would be preserved. But the bureaucratic definition of preservation may not necessarily jive with my idea of preservation, allowing me unfettered access to the forest and all the trails mountain bikers have come to cherish.

Yesterday, while coming down the mountain from the official ceremony marking the beginning of construction, I saw a bunch of heavy equipment digging up a gulley at the base of a drop-off (and a key transit from the mountain's upper trails to its lower trails) that had vexxed me all summer, and which I had finally conquered last Sunday. I fear this may just be the beginning. The reality of construction is often something quite different from the theory of plans and promises.

Good luck with your initiative.

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Hey guys. Thanks for the info. Doh. I didn't catch the "wish" part! That sucks about the "development" on the trails! You guys are mountain bikers or cyclists? Thats cool. I left a post in here inquiring about places to ride. I should check out my post again and see if I've received any replies. If you are ever up in my area, do contact me because we have beautiful mountain biking trails. I am spoiled. I live less than 1 hour [bike ride-actually when I'm in shape it only takes me 45 minutes [​IMG] ] from 3 or 4 good mountain biking trails [​IMG]

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hey, I just replied to your other thread [​IMG]
    My first bike was a Schwinn Scrambler 36/36 which I recently fixed up and gave to my nephew and eventually I also got a Ross compact 10spd (downtube shifters).
    My first mountain bike I got as a Junior in college and was a $450 Diamondback Sorrento Sport with a Suntour sus. fork on the front. I used to ride in the quarry behind Syracuse U (my alma matter) and of course ride to the computer labs and stuff. Sold that to a friend when I graduated and he had it stolen like a few months after I sold it!!
    Anyway, after I graduated, I treated myself to a new Marin Team which was like the top of the line steel bike from Marin, besides the Ti model which was fully rigid. Eventually I put a Marzocchi Bomber Z2 (the heavy ones) on it. This was my hardtail until now where it is my commuter after buying a rack and panniers for it. I bike to work in it year round, including the winters, and also some light bike touring.
    A few years ago, when I decided to commute, I bought a new MTB and bought a Santa Cruz Superlite X (annodized grey, aluminum FS XC bike) which I do races and some off-road biathlons on.
    Actually, before that, I bought a road bike cause I started to get into road cycling and bought a Lemond Zurich, reynolds 853, racing frame, and put some panniers on it because I used to bike on the road to work. I also used to do alot of centuries on that bike, but now I still do alot of centuries but last year treated myself to a spanking new custom Seven Axiom Ti bike. Full carbon fork/seatpost, with the complementary Ti stem, Dura-Ace components. I figured I wont have to buy another road bike for a long time.... [​IMG]
    I almost sold the Marin when I bought the Santa Cruz but I'm real glad I didn't cause now it is actually used more than any other bike I own. I mean I run and get groceries on it, I go to the bank and run lots of errands on it, besides going to work on it.
    I had a Proflex (now K2) Beast for a bit, but that was more a DH kind of bike which wasn't me, I am more a XC kind of rider so I sold that and got the Santa Cruz a few years ago.
    I live less than 2 miles to hiking and biking trails! But I'm sure the parks aren't as big as up there, we have alot of state forrests and parks over here but most of them are small but they are surely very technical and hard. But I am very lucky to have the perfect off-road trail between me and where I work (10 miles one way) such that I can still bike in the winter time to work, without worrying about some idiot driver sliding on ice. I probably wouldn't bike that much in the winter if it wasn't for the trail.
    You guys must have it even worse up there being further north. The coldest I've gone to work in was about 13°F with probably a wind chill into the single digits. I bet that probably occurs regularly up north!!
    Jay

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Wow. Thats really cool. I mean COLD! Heheh. I'll check the other thread.