What's new

Tornado nut mounting procedure (1 Viewer)

Mark Wilson

Agent
Hi all, tonight I finally started pounding in the Tornado nuts. Much to my dismay, they didn't go very smoothly at all. (These are for an adire Kit 281) They were extremely hard to pound in (I was very afraid I was going to 'break' the rabbet for the AV8s, I could see it flexing) Also, out of the 4 that I mounted, 2 got destroyed.

By destroyed, I mean the 3 outside teeth (that digs into the MDF) gets bent, instead of digging into the wood, so they don't hold at all.

Luckily, Adire supplied me with a couple extra, but at this rate, I'll need about twice the amount in order to get them all in!

(Also, the 2 that I did manage to get mounted, I can tell that a couple of the teeth bent, and really only one or two teeth stayed straight and managed to dig in)

Thanks for any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
try mounting them in a softer wood that can then be glued onto the MDF for my tempest i used some srcap baltic birtch plywood (all be it not the softest) my tee nuts went in fine, i used a little press and they went in with out a problem. I cut small squares about 1X1.5 just a little bigger then the nut.

David-S

Second Unit
You could also use a clamp, to provide more even pressure, and just "push" the nuts in, instead of pounding...

Mark Wilson

Agent
Thanks guys, I used a C clamp, and pressed them in great, I guess with the more evenly spread presure the teeth managed to get in nice and tight.

Sadly after doing that, I put my front baffle on, and now with the tornado nuts in there, a few of the screws don't line up. (They slide in with the wood fine, but I guess the tornado nut edges cut off enough that now the screws no longer fit)

The only 'fix' I can think of is filing the holes larger in the driver. (Adire AV8) Most of them are 'to the side' so I think I have enough metal to play with, but is it suicide to go at a driver with a file? (Metal shavings getting where they shouldn't be getting, and wrecking havoc when I send a couple hundred watts to the driver? :))

Anyone wanna somehow magicly move the tornado nuts/holes so the screws will fit in perfect, I'd greatly appreciate it..

John Walker

Agent
Not sure I understand exactly why the screws don't line up but you could try putting them in from the back to fix the threads. Then remove them and install as normal from the front.

If your wood is extremely hard or the rabbet delicate you might try drilling tiny (1/16") pilot holes for the tee nut spikes. They don't have to be full depth, just enough to help ease them in.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks