Tornado nut mounting procedure

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mark Wilson, Jun 18, 2003.

  1. Mark Wilson

    Mark Wilson Agent

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2002
    Messages:
    30
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi all, tonight I finally started pounding in the Tornado nuts. Much to my dismay, they didn't go very smoothly at all. (These are for an adire Kit 281) They were extremely hard to pound in (I was very afraid I was going to 'break' the rabbet for the AV8s, I could see it flexing) Also, out of the 4 that I mounted, 2 got destroyed.

    By destroyed, I mean the 3 outside teeth (that digs into the MDF) gets bent, instead of digging into the wood, so they don't hold at all.

    Luckily, Adire supplied me with a couple extra, but at this rate, I'll need about twice the amount in order to get them all in!

    (Also, the 2 that I did manage to get mounted, I can tell that a couple of the teeth bent, and really only one or two teeth stayed straight and managed to dig in)

    Thanks for any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them.
     
  2. Allen Ross

    Allen Ross Supporting Actor

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2002
    Messages:
    819
    Likes Received:
    0
    try mounting them in a softer wood that can then be glued onto the MDF for my tempest i used some srcap baltic birtch plywood (all be it not the softest) my tee nuts went in fine, i used a little press and they went in with out a problem. I cut small squares about 1X1.5 just a little bigger then the nut.
     
  3. David-S

    David-S Second Unit

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2001
    Messages:
    267
    Likes Received:
    0
    You could also use a clamp, to provide more even pressure, and just "push" the nuts in, instead of pounding...
     
  4. John Wes

    John Wes Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2002
    Messages:
    202
    Likes Received:
    0
    I use a large washer and the screw and pull them in by tighting the screw..
     
  5. Mark Wilson

    Mark Wilson Agent

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2002
    Messages:
    30
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks guys, I used a C clamp, and pressed them in great, I guess with the more evenly spread presure the teeth managed to get in nice and tight.

    Sadly after doing that, I put my front baffle on, and now with the tornado nuts in there, a few of the screws don't line up. (They slide in with the wood fine, but I guess the tornado nut edges cut off enough that now the screws no longer fit)

    The only 'fix' I can think of is filing the holes larger in the driver. (Adire AV8) Most of them are 'to the side' so I think I have enough metal to play with, but is it suicide to go at a driver with a file? (Metal shavings getting where they shouldn't be getting, and wrecking havoc when I send a couple hundred watts to the driver? [​IMG])

    Anyone wanna somehow magicly move the tornado nuts/holes so the screws will fit in perfect, I'd greatly appreciate it..
     
  6. John Walker

    John Walker Agent

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2003
    Messages:
    32
    Likes Received:
    0
    Not sure I understand exactly why the screws don't line up but you could try putting them in from the back to fix the threads. Then remove them and install as normal from the front.

    If your wood is extremely hard or the rabbet delicate you might try drilling tiny (1/16") pilot holes for the tee nut spikes. They don't have to be full depth, just enough to help ease them in.

    John
     
  7. Mark Wilson

    Mark Wilson Agent

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2002
    Messages:
    30
    Likes Received:
    0
    The screws don't line up because I suck at marking/drilling holes.
     

Share This Page