What's new

"Torn Curtain" with original score? (1 Viewer)

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Since the upcoming DVD of "Legend" is setting a precedent -- including separate versions of the movie with the original Jerry Goldsmith score and the replacement Tangerine Dream score -- how about rallying the cause for a release of Hitchcock's "Torn Curtain" with the original Bernard Herrmann score?

Those who have seen the death of Gromek scene in the Herrmann documentary have seen a stunning example of how much more effective the scene is with Herrmann's music. My guess is that Herrmann's score would add a great deal to this flawed yet watchable example of late Hitchcock. Certainly it would be superior to the film with perennial hack John Addison's krappmusik.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Great idea but it's already been done! The DVD of Torn Curtain includes, as an extra, scenes from the film scored with Herrmann's music, or at least as much as he recorded before being replaced by John Addison.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Those who have seen the death of Gromek scene in the Herrmann documentary have seen a stunning example of how much more effective the scene is with Herrmann's music.
I could not disagree more, but do like hearing the score excerpts as a supplement.

Regards,

Tom Fynan

Stunt Coordinator
The entire Herrmann score is (or was) available on a Varese-Sarabande CD. Someone who was technically savvy could probably cue it up with the DVD to get an impression of what the movie would be like with the original score.

Tom Fynan

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
It's not practical to have the entire movie set to Herrmann's score for a simple reason. Herrmann was fired from the project before any of the score was written or performed for roughly the last third of the movie.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Just a bit of related trivia but Elmer Bernstein incorporated some of Herrmann's score to Torn Curtain in the 1991 remake of Cape Fear. When adapting Herrmann's 1962 Cape Fear score to the 1991 remake, Bernstein discovered that he needed more music than the 1962 score provided so he borrowed some of Herrmann's Torn Curtain themes to extend the score.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
OK. Well, screw me, guys. I'm now sorry I brought it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks