What's new

Torn between Onkyo and Pioneer... (1 Viewer)

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne, I completely forgot about that. I had to work today with a headache most of the day as well. It wasn't on my mind at the time. Kind of a bummer :frowning: It might be an online only thing, but I'm not sure.

I got the receiver all set up. Ran it through MCACC (pretty damn sweet auto setup). Almost all of the settings it chose were basically dead-on which is impressive. Speaker distances and sound levels are right, although I may fine tune the sound levels with my SPL meter. Only thing that was wrong was the size of the front three speakers. It thought they were large and they really aren't. They're set to small now.

First thing I noticed with the sound when I just had the TV going is that it's a bit smoother than before. I also noticed the receiver wasn't struggling when turning the volume up (on my previous receiver you'd get slight popping noises every now and then at higher than casual volumes... they'd stop after the receiver was on for a while). After that I popped in X-Men 2 and watched some scenes from it in DTS. The sound quality is noticeably better than the Kenwood receiver. Smoother, greater presence, better separation, better clarity of effects (even with lots of things going on). The bass is tighter as well and not really boomy (I've seen "boominess" mentioned in a number of reviews). I now have the sub hooked up through the pre-out which likely helps with a better signal as well.

It's going to take a while to get used to everything, especially the remote since I was previously using the tiny Kenwood remote. Overall I'm very impressed so far. I definately think it's a great investment. Now I just have to listen to some music :)

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: so far for the Pioneer VSX-D912K.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
Greg, Do the pioneer still have the Boat remote? My 810 sounds awsome too! Im really impressed with it...I paid 249 cdn tax included on a display model.. I was in brand new condition when I got it but I broke the front panel! DOH!

PierreN

Auditioning
Boat Remote :D

It's not ..ergonomic for sure. Would be nice with back-lit (at least on some frequent-use) buttons ...Not the case here ... It has a learning mode so it's quite handy...

The MCACC is a nice feature & fairly accurate ...

I mostly lsiten to music with either in Stereo or 6-channel Stereo ...(except when listening to the SACD & DVD-A discs)

I often hear Pioneer amp section is its weak point, but I feel this model is clean to my untrained ears. For the price range, it has a lot of bells & whistles - a good choice. :D Enjoy !

bernard&*

Stunt Coordinator
see review @ audioholics about TX-SR601 very impressive
above average review!!!experience is the best judgement than
hearsay.

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
And you do know the 914K has been out for over a week now. Seen places like onecall have it for $299. Adds DPLIIx and more......

Either are very nice, I'm sure you'll enjoy your new 912...

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, Onecall's price is $359.10 and that's with 10% off. Add on $22.96 for shipping. Cheapest place I could have gotten the 914 online was from Abe's of Maine at about $370 shipped. B&M stores are likely going to have price points of $400 for the thing when they get them in. 192KHz/24-bit DAC's would have been nice, but I decided to save some money and get the 912 at Circuit City. Quite easy too.. about a 10-15 minute drive there.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I think the $299 special was last week on the 914 receiver. However, now, it looks like its up to regular price.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Heh, I went out & bought this Pioneer myself after reading this thread (and others).

Really happy with it so far, definitely notice the difference in quality & volume from my old budget Pioneer receiver. I was very pleasantly suprised at how well the MCACC (sp?) setup feature worked.

Need to work on the remote though, and program it for my Tivo & TV...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks