What's new

Tori's new cover album? (1 Viewer)

millercv

Second Unit
Did anyone else pick up Strange Little Girl yesterday? I hadn't read before that it was a cover album, but after reading about it on hereinmyhead.com it is an interesting premise...
But its also just cool to have Tori singing "I'm not in love" by 10cc...
I've heard its coming out in DVD-A also - I'll have to pick that one up - and a player to go along with it.
------------------
------------
Chris Miller
"Nothing can kill the Grimace."

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I went looking for it, but could not find it at my usual places. Was it delayed or perhaps it did not arrive due to shipping delays? Been waiting for it for a few weeks now.
While browsing, I did come across the "A tribute to Tori Amos" CD. Other artists covering HER songs. Anyone have that? How is it?
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Not only is it a cover album, it's an album with four different covers. Seems like a good way to take advantage of her rabid teenage fans, I guess.
The local Best Buy had plenty of copies on Tuesday afternoon when I went to pick up LiVE's new album (which I'm beginning to regret doing).

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I bought it yesturday. Yeah me too I was dissappointed by the fact that there were 4 different covers, I didn't know which one to pick up and also felt like I needed to buy all 4 somehow.
At the HMV in Montreal, I only saw 3 different covers, so I guess the "Best" one was sold out. I took the "Happiness I a Warm Gun" cover. Let me explain, on her new album, she sort of came up with different "characters" for each songs, in the booklet you have pictures of each of them. And the 4 different covers are just one of these used as the cover pic, with 4 to choose from.
As for the CD itself, me too I was very dissapointed with the fact that it was a covers album, considering that my 2nd criteria for music is "Artist/Group must write their songs" but considering that it's Tori and that she is known for trying just about anything she could possibly do, I decided to try my best to like it.
So far I've only listened to it twice so I can't pass any final judgement on it just yet, so far I think it's interesting but most likely won't become my favorite Tori album. She basically mixes all her different styles in it, so people who prefer the LE/UTP/BFP-Piano-Only Tori will like some songs, and those who like the FTCH/TVAB-More-Technoish Tori will like some songs too...
I hope she comes back with a proper new album soon, I'm sure having a baby must have inspired her somehow...

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Pete, are you referring to The Distance to Here?
Otherwise, I'm not aware of any newer album. If you are referring to that album, I'd like to know what disappointed you about it. I thought it was well done, albeit a departure from their angst-filled first one, Mental Jewelry.
(Sorry for the offtopic post but I had to ask)
------------------
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. -Franklin D. Roosevelt.
My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So I picked it up finally. Different is all I will say. I am as of yet undecided, as it is a departure from her own stuff, but interesting nonetheless.
I kind of like the cover of 97 Bonnie & Clyde. Quite funny.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I thought "Bonnie and Clyde" was quite terrorfying and laid bare for what it was.. a great moment...
But "Time" and "Why I don't Like Mondays" are my most favorite tracks on the album.
Not my favorite Tori album, but I still enjoyed it.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Apparantly the reason for this cover album is because her contract is up with Warner Atlantic and she did't want give them anymore of her original songs.
It should be interesting what will happen with her catalogue of songs if this is true. I can see Warner re-releasing "Why Kant Tori Read" to make money from her fans.
At least the record company is pushing this cd more than her other releases in the past. Here in Canada, the cd entered the Socan charts at #5.
So far I haven't heard of when the dvd audio version will be released. I know her video collection is expected in Oct. on dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks