1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Torino fortress? (Opening ceremonies)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Greg_S_H, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    As the lead-in to NBC's Olympic coverage, they did a piece showing different sights around Torino. One of them was some kind of fortress on the top of a mountain. It was covered in snow, and it looked like something like eight turrets in a row, some of them ruined. It looked awesome! Like something that should have been on Hoth or in Middle Earth. Does anyone have any idea what this might have been?

2. James Roberts

I think you might be referring to the fortifications at Briançon in the French Alps. Briançon is located across the border from the Torino region. The fortifications include the fortified Old Town (Vieille Ville), Fort Randouillet, and Le Fort de Tetes.

Here's a link to a photo gallery:
    Briancon Gallery

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    There isn't an aerial shot that lets me see exactly what I saw, but that does seem like it probably is it. I did another search on Briançon, and found something called the infernet that looked like it. And, the broadcast did mention fortifications. Thanks! The area is definitely a beautiful backdrop for the Olympics.