What's new

Tori Amos' "Welcome to Sunny Florida" DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Anyone else excited? Alas, it has no DTS track, but the setlist is pretty impressive:

a sorta fairytale
Sugar
Crucify
Cornflake Girl
Bells for Her
Concertina
Take To The Sky
Leather
Cloud On My Tongue
Cooling
your cloud
Father Lucifer
Professional Widow
I can't see New York
Precious Things

Encore:
Tombigbee
Amber Waves
Hey Jupiter

There is also a bonus CD with songs that didn't make it onto Scarlet's Walk. Here are the tracks:

Seaside
Bug a Martini
Apollo's Frock
Tombigbee
Indian Summer

The DVD also features interviews and behind the scenes footage. I'm pretty damn excited. This has been a long time coming. Tori on DVD! Comes out Tuesday (5/18).

Clint B

Second Unit
Finally! I've been waiting for a Tori concert DVD for a long time now. I'm glad it's finally coming, and I'm glad she decided to release a CD of the "Scarlet's Walk" B-sides.

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yes indeed, I have been counting the days since this one was announced. I can't wait for Tuesday. I saw five shows on this tour (including the greatest concert experience of my life, at Riverside Church in NYC -- god, why didn't they film that show for the DVD??), and I can assure any Tori fan that missed the Scarlet's Walk tour for whatever reason that you're in for real treat.

That being said, now that Northern Exposure is finally coming to DVD :), I'll never be happy until Tori's videos and the Live in NY, 1997 videotapes are released on DVD.

Cmon Atlantic Records, get it done! :)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm terribly excited about the release.
From what I understand, the concert is in widescreen.. hopefully anamorphic.

I can't wait to hear her in 5.1. The bonus CD is a lovely bonus. I miss having singles with B-sides. Tori's B-sides are better than most A-sides for mainstream artists.

I'd love to have the videos and Live from New York on DVD as well.

In fact, Tori is an artist who should copy Dave Matthews. For every album, she should release a couple of live discs. I've enjoyed every concert of hers I've ever attended (somewhere in the neighborhood of 17) and each is very special for different reasons.

I also understand that she's going to be going into the studio this summer for a new album. Since I found Scarlet's Walk to be one of her very best albums, I have high hopes for this one.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Incredibly excited and waiting for the release ;) But those who read the "how far have you travelled" thread probably know that ;)

CraigL

Screenwriter
FYI...not only is the show cut by a few songs...but it's also censored.

Way to **** up, Epic.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

So, they bleeped out words? If this is true, I'm glad I held off on buying it. It will now be on permanent hold.

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Okay...this f*cking sucks. The concert is amazing. A truly unbelievable performance, but "Professional Widow," which is easily one of the best, if not the best, performance on the DVD, is censored. This is ridiculous, because in the interview portion, Tori blatantly says the lyric that is edited out, and it's not censored. FYI, the lyrics edited are, "Stag sh*t," "Starf*cker, just like my daddy," and, "Give me peace, love, and a hard c*ck." Also, she flips the bird, and it isn't blurred, and they don't edit "Precious Things" when she says, "So you can make me come, that doesn't make you Jesus." This is absurd, and I'm indescribably pissed. I've been waiting for a DVD from Tori since the debut of the format, and I finally get it, and it's this!? Seriously, the performance is amazing, the video is great, and the sound is impeccable, but at least label the damn thing as edited. It really takes you out of the performance during "Professional Widow." So are they all censored? Anyone think a petition would do any good toward getting an uncensored version?

CraigL

Screenwriter
again...PW is censored. Also, there's another thread about this.
It's not the whole show. It's been edited as well. Maybe you're not aware.

FYI...it's also non-anamorphic even though the entire disc is in widescreen.

Again...way to go Epic.

Clint B

Second Unit
A few thoughts upon hearing and watching the DVD...

-Excellent performance...Tori and the band seemed to be having fun, even though it was a somewhat bittersweet show (the last one of the tour). However, while it seems like it would've been great to see Tori with just bass and drums backing her up, there are some songs that just need guitar!

-The "censoring" in Professional Widow does bother me a bit, but it doesn't ruin the show for me. Actually, if you listen very closely (or, from what I'm told, put on headphones), you can still hear the "offensive" words (especially the one that many people would consider to be the most offensive...the last word in Professional Widow). Also, some people have theorized that Tori and/or her management actually agreed to the "censoring" because they didn't want a parental notice slapped on it. Indeed, there are one or two times that Tori seems to be self-censoring (although clearly not in every case).

-Widescreen is nice, non-anamorphic is not.

-The show isn't in true 5.1...you can't hear anything out of the center channel except for the interview snippets. It's no biggie, though. 4.1 is good, and the PCM track is even better.

-Why wasn't the entire show included? Granted, what we got was great, but why leave out only two or three songs? To be fair, during the end credits, you can hear a snippet of "Wednesday" but still, the other songs should've been included.

-The CD of B-Sides that comes in the package is great! In some ways, I like it better than the DVD, and that's saying something, considering how great Tori is live (I've seen her twice).

CraigL

Screenwriter
According to a lot of people that were at the concert, any sort of emotional connection Tori has with the audience was lost due to A) all of the cameras and B) having to do songs over. This wasn't the type of show where she did her thing and they just recorded it.

As far as the censoring is concerned, of COURSE she was in control of that. The woman is in control of everything and the reason why we haven't gotten a Video Collection release. She stopped the first one. I haven't watched the whole thing but I saw an interlude where she talks to the audience and the "f" word was definitely deleted from that as well. Just a huge disappointment. I'm hoping someone with a bootleg can tell us if anything else was edited out besides the songs.

As far as the cd is concerned, I've been listening to it non-stop as well. Problem is it left off one of the best b-sides from SW which is "Mountain." I'm assuming maybe she has different plans for that girl. Who knows? Only time will tell.

Regardless, I guess this is a good start for her DVD's...but...next time...

-don't edit the damn show
-don't censor the damn show
-don't show interview segments in the middle of said damn show
-real 5.1 please

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks