Tori Amos Releases "Scarlet Walk"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Finally got my hands on a copy of Scarlet Walk. Very interesting album, you are well served to get the collectors edition, despite the cardboard trappings. The Collectors Edition includes a fantastic DVD (yes, a DVD!) of movie clips, notes, interviews, and more. Very good stuff.

The disc itself is different from prior Tori works, and ranges from true Alternative to Adult Contemporary. The sound quality is fantastic, and there are some really fantastic numbers.

The album's signature cut (Scarlet Walk) is a -very- political statement regarding the last year, and is, well, an opinion. "Your Cloud" a rather Adult-Contemporary tune is much more free-form and vocal driven then a lot of more recent Tori releases.

The current track in release "Sort of a Fairytale" is a great number with a unique sound. "Fairytale" seems to be the most radio friendly of the numbers on the album. But don't discount other numbers. "Sweet Sangria", a very alternative cut, could find it's place as well.

If you've enjoyed her work in the past - then this is a great release. If you haven't taken the time before, now is most certainly the time!

2. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

I couldn't agree more! This CD is fantastic. There's no other word to describe it. Also, the DVD is worth the extra money you pay to get the limited edition. It is very cool, especially with Tori's commentary running. Check this out. It's a wonderful breath of fresh air in todays stagnant musical climate.

Rob

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I haven't gotten the chance to watch the DVD yet, but I'm really happy with this album. I managed to get the Scarlet's Walk sampler disc that was available to radio stations a few months back, so a number of the songs were already familiar to me. But the rest are just as great. I'm a very big Tori fan, but have been very dissapointed with her past few albums. So far, I think Scarlet's Walk is her best work since Boys for Pele.

4. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Picked up this CD yesterday and gave it a listen. I've got to say that it is fantastic. It sounds a lot like 'Boys for Pele' in style and I for one am glad that Tori's finally returned to more familiar ground. Her last few CDs since BFP were good and it's nice to have her experiment- however, I missed the more piano oriented work from her first 3 CDs. 'Scarlett's Walk' is certainly a return to that. I love that final track on the CD....a beautiful way to end the 'journey'.

By the way, there is an exclusive interview disc included with the regular version of 'Scarlet's Walk' if you purchase it at HMV. I haven't given it a listen yet, but it does have commentary for all 18 tracks.

5. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I haven't been able to find anywhere nearby that has Scarlet's Stories, the companion CD. If anyone can get me a copy, I'd be much obliged. Thanks.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I think the DVD is a let down, it's nothing but 3 or 4 tracks and the photos already included in the set.
    the commentary is OK I guess.

The rest of scarlet's walk is a little too "I'm 40 and have a family" for my tastes, we'll see if I feel differently after seeing the songs live next month. For now I much prefer the earlier tori. A lot of the songs on scarlet's don't really feature enough piano for me.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm kind of undecided as of yet, but I have only listened through twice (third time right now) I definitely like it more than SLG, but I'm not sure SLG counts. I don't feel it is a "return" to her older stuff, it is more of an evolution to me. I agree there is no clear "single" material I would peg for a lot of radio play. I need to spend a little more time with it, but I like it so far, especially the final track, as mentioned. [​IMG]

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'm strangely addicted to track #3 (sorry dunno the titles yet)
    I really liked SLG, much more than I did to venus and back, though I liked the live CD.. [​IMG]

9. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

This is really all personal tastes; I think everyone has their favorite Tori album... I have always been a proponent of Under the Pink as probably her most solid, from beginning to end, effort. But Scarlet's Walk is a great album, also my favorite since Pele, easily better then the last few releases. The album is far more political and folksy then anything in a while, but I tend to enjoy it; it in many ways reminds me of a lot of the smoother efforts of UTP.

There are some tracks that will take a while to grow on me.

But listening to Scarlet's Walk, in comparison to the vast majority of brain-dead, go-go music that dominates the radio..

Track 3 (Wednesday) also has a groove I enjoy; it reminds me heavily of "Happy Phantom" (from LE); "I Can't See NY" and "Scarlet's Walk" are songs that stick in my mind as some of the more political motivated tunes of a generation that seemingly hasn't been able to come up with anything in years.

"Taxi Ride" (a tribute to Matthew Shephard) is more then just political, it really struck in me the realization that each of the tracks is, in fact, a sort of political atonement against different areas of the country. Some obvious, some not so obvious.. it's almost a re-discovery of America, in a sense, a musical journey across the country with viewpoints provided by each in a post Sept-11 world.

The more I listen to the album, the more I realize that this is, quite frankly, the first album since 9/11/01 to really devote itself to finding what's good (and bad) with the US.

I've been a Tori fan for years and years; my wife and I flew to many concerts; we intend to fly to at least one on this tour. Despite those who have dislikes, there is no artist going who took the time to put the effort into an album quite like this; and while not all of it is music I find to be her best, the cohesion between the songs of a journey is one of the best efforts at that effect in a long, long time.

10. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

[rant]WOW[/rant]

Ok, so my manager friend at an undisclosed music outlet got me this CD as a surprise gift. I wasn't originally going to get it, from what I'd heard, sounded like a 10-track, watered down, radio friendly Tori-lite.

Boy was I wrong.

18 (at least 18) tracks, some real standouts. Very 'UDP and Pele' in tone, which is a great thing. She seems to have abandoned some of her winking, tongue in cheek rock star bravado, which was cute but had really started to grate on me after the 'little girls' album.

It's a more mature, polished work than previous ones, a lot less personal (more 'third person'), but she bounces between unassuming folk songs and epic rock operas like a real pro.

Highly recommended for anyone who has even a passing interest in her work.

Joseph

11. Michael Napier

Michael Napier Stunt Coordinator

Well I just picked up the limited edition set tonight. I haven't listened to it enough to form an opinion about the album, but I can say that I am disappointed with the packaging.

I hate cardboard. I don't understand why they couldn't have, at least, included the regular CD jewel case. If I want to take the CD with me, and maybe read the lyrics while listening, I have to bring the large map along.

And, aside from 10-year-old girls, who really needs those stickers?

I'm a Tori fan and I like what I've heard so far from this album, but I really just don't like the cardboard box at all.

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

double-wow!
    what am amazing album. i've been a tori-lite fan for quite some time, but this album may have pushed me over the verge.
    i've always liked her. i listened to an interview once on NPR with her and she almost sold me back then. i think she used the word "yummy"...how cool is that!
    this album is absolutely wonderful. just about every song is great. standout tracks for me include "a sorta fairytale", "carbon", "pancake", "i can't see new york", and "taxi ride". but, all the other songs are just as listenalble and enjoyable.
    i personally really enjoyed the packaging. it has to be one of the most thought-out and unique cd's i own. from the extra dvd to the roadmap to the stickers to the little bracelet charm and snake, i was just blown away. although i'm also not a fan of cardboard, all i did was burn a copy to take with me.
    this is definitely one my best cd's of late. i give this a solid A.

13. GeorgeTW

GeorgeTW Stunt Coordinator

I don't know bout Tori Amos, but Tori Wells still looks good to me.