What's new

Torchwood: Children of Earth (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone picked up the DVD release yet? You don't need to be a fan of British television to enjoy this one. Even if you watched the original broadcast on the BBC, the episodes on the DVD are extended episodes and contain extended scenes that were not originally broadcasted.

While the first four episodes are uncut, the fifth episode does contain replaced music ... there is a warning to this omission on the back of the DVD packaging and I have to say that BBC did a great job at packaging this set together. I highly recommend this release and the other news is that Torchwood is returning for a Fourth Season on the BBC. Not surprising, since Torchwood has been getting higher ratings and more viewers than Doctor Who.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
The replaced music wasn't a license problem or anything - just an artifact of the short turn around time from Broadcast to DVD. they delivered the masters to the DVD replicators and then made a couple of VERY minor changes to the 5th episode right before it went out on the air. If I recall correctly, there was an orchestral piece over the foot chase at the very end that was replaced with a choral piece.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Ah, that explains it. At any rate, I've enjoyed the DVD release very much. Torchwood is one of my favoruite BBC shows, right after Primevil and Robin Hood.

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Henry
I'm watching it now (one episode a week). After the end of Series 2, I was dubious after the character cuts. But they're going great guns. I think this story arc works better than monster-of-the-week that predominated most of Series 1 & 2.

Great image quality, even on my 20" CRT.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
gruge, you should watch it straight through. Otherwise, you might get lost. The first episode gets things running at full steam. But, it does slow down around episode 3 and 4. By the end of episode 5, there seems to be a question on whether the series will continue or not (which has been revealed that it will return).

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Actually, as far as I know, no decision has been made on if there's a season 4 yet. The ratings have been VERY strong (both on BBC1 and BBC America), and RTD believes that there will be - but unless there's been an announcement in the last couple of days that I missed, nothing official has been handed down.

Of course, if I were a betting man, I'd put money on "It'll return". :)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Tony, it was reported that someone involved with the show let it slip that Torchwood would be returning for a new season. With all of the news that came out of the SD Comic Con, it was overlooked because of the Twilight and Iron II Discussion Panels that happened at the convention.

No news about when production would begin, only that Torchwood would be returning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks