Top technical issues?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by BrentLac, Jun 6, 2006.

1. BrentLac

BrentLac Auditioning

I am doing a report on the top 3 technical issues associated with home theater today. I thought this would be the best place to get some ideas as I am sure there are some experts here who not only know about the issues but have experienced them. Any insights on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks[​IMG]

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Brent.

Well.. the trades say that the number one consumer problem is that many people buy a HDTV, take it home and plug it into their CATV coax (pushing a 1940's based video signal) and are disapointed because it looks like crap. They feel "cheated" that they now have to upgrade their CATV or Sat service to take advantage of the new tv.

Of the questions I have seen:

- Confusion over DVI/HDMI and HDCP
    - Confusion/arguments over Blue-Ray vs HD-DVD for high definition DVD formats.
    - Confusion about how to hook up a system that is easy for the family to use, but has a mix of standard-definition CATV/SAT, Progressive DVD player, and HD CATV/SAT and Video game system. The switching and management of this usually involves 2 or 3 remotes.

Hope this helps.

3. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Other questions that are frequently asked:
    1. Speaker placement.
    2. Seating & viewing distance.
    Dave

4. BrentLac

BrentLac Auditioning

Is there a link or site that would have what the recommendations are for speaker placement and viewing distance? Are there specs as well as to what cable length run are acceptable?

5. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    There might be, but the fact is, there are so many variables due to speaker design, among other things, they can't possibly be very useful. Some speakers are designed to work well in bookcases or other enclosed installations, while others require a great deal of space around them to perform properly. In fact, I would say that is one of the biggest mistakes I see in the houses I go into. I have seen speakers in enclosed spaces which should never be used that way. I have seen Klipsch Fort├ęs, which have a rear passive radiator, placed in completely sealed wall units and even went to one house which did the same with Martin Logans, which are planar and radiate sound to the front and back. You could actually physically damage them by placing them that way.

I would say second is understanding the various technologies, such as Bob touched on.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The coax manufacturers (Belden, Canare, Mogami) run 100 feet of their coax and brag about the performance so for analog component cables - distance is usually not an issue.

The new digital cables (DVI, HDMI) tend to have more problems because the sharp-digital signals do not travel well in a long bundle. Most of these cables top out at 20-30 ft. But some can go as much as 50 ft.

One of our members runs a custom cable site and is a great source of information for things:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/dvi/index.htm