top of screen cut off

Discussion in 'Displays' started by GregAK, Jul 28, 2006.

1. GregAK

GregAK Agent

I have an old Toshiba 50HX81. A while back I posted a question when I noticed that the status bars at the top of Halo 2 were cut off. It was suggested that I dl a patch (which I never tried), but since then I am noticing that the very top is cut off with pretty much any device when played through my component inputs. I think it must be the TV. Is there a way to adjust this, maybe through the service menus, which I do not know how to access?

If so, how do I access the menus and how can I adjust it. Thanks.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Sounds like overscan, assuming you're not using the wrong AR or something basic like that.

3. GregAK

GregAK Agent

My TV doesn't allow me to make any adjustments to the screen size when receiving a 1080i signal. I'm not sure what overscan is - can it be corrected? I was hoping the service menu might allow screen adjustments, like on a computer monitor, but I don't know how to access it.

4. BrianNorman

BrianNorman Extra

i hope this helps... on the 48-5 which is what i have this sort of happens. the way to correct it... in the picture menu>>>advanced>>> see if there is a vertical position, this usually will let you select how the image is centered, on the 4805 there is about 3 inches worth of area avail to center the image.

5. GregAK

GregAK Agent

That is exactly the adjustment I was hoping to find in the service menu. I cannot find it anywhere in the regular menu. My Picture Menu does not have an "advanced" option and no vertical position option that I can see.

6. BrianNorman

BrianNorman Extra

ok i think i got it. in the wide mode selection window you want to select picture scroll

7. GregAK

GregAK Agent

Nope. I don't have that option. My menu must be different. I think I really need to get into the "secret" service menu. Anyone know how to do that?

8. BrianNorman

BrianNorman Extra

i was finding all my stuff on the toshiba website. your service manual is up there with the instructions on how to do it. that option is only avail in a few of the view modes according to it. check it out