Top name brands

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Cheung, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Jon Cheung

Jon Cheung Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, I'm new here and I just wanted to know the top name brands for speakers, subs, and recievers. I've heard of a few but I want to know which are the best in your opinions. Thanx!!!

Jon

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't get the point of the question? That is just a WAY too open ended. What are you looking for? What price range?

"Speed is only limited by how much money you are willing to spend, how fast do you want to go?"

3. Steven Hen

Steven Hen Stunt Coordinator

Bose is the best for everything [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    sorry, couldn't resist.

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I second Bose, their waveguide technology added a new standard that THX has yet to categorize.

hehe

Since people have different opinions I'm just gonna copy my collection list of brands and it should cover a good deal of them out there.

German Physiks, Wilson Audio, Entec, Dynaudio, Nearfield Acoustics, MBL, JMlab, Martin Logan, Avantgarde, Genesis Technologies, Tannoy, Mcintosh, Dunlavy, B&W, Paradigm, Diva Swan, Sonus Faber, Meridian, Meadowlark, Audio Physic, Naim, Sonic Frontiera, Soundlab, Canton, Revel, ProAc, Talon, hales, NHT, B&O, Silverline, Gallo, Epos, Snell, Ariel, Jean-Marie Reynaud, Totem, Vienna, Linn, Revel, Vandersteen, Quad, Thiel, Avalon Acoustics, Triangle, Waveform, Verity, Legacy, Krell, Mark Levinson, Hovland, , Hsu, SVS, Adire Audio, Velodyne, M&K, Mackie, JBL, Infinity, Polk Lsi, Klipsch, Monitor, Energy, Mirage, Parasound, Rotel, Outlaw, Ati, Adcom, Sherbourne, Marantz, Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, Denon, Sony, Pioneer, Accuphase, Acurus, Optimus, Boulder Bikes, Jadis, Prarian Acoustics, goldmund, FM acoustics, Conrad-Johnson, Jeff Rowland, Chord, Audio research, Nagra, Matisse, Cello, Naim, Balanced Audio, Lamm, Air Tight, Convergent AT, Threshold, Pass Labs, Sonic Frontiers, Creek, Granite Audio, Mattel, Electrocompaniet, Don Jose, Aragon, Sim audio, Atma-sphere, counterpoint, Classe, VTL, spectral, red rose, Chiro, Siemel, Cary Audio, Audio Illusions, Meridian, clayton, copland, Odyssey, Decware, Fisher Price, Audio Note, Rowland, Burmester, Audire, Graaf, Joule Electra, Sunfire, Audio Matiere, Mlab, bel canto, California Labs, Manley, David Burning, Essence, Cinepro, Blue circle, Lexicon, Unison Research, CR developments, Mesa, TAC, Proceed, Soundstream, Pathos, Aronov, Perreaux, Earthquake, Plinius, Siemel, Sansui, Ayre, Bryston, Hercules, Linar Audio, Transcendecent Sound, Rel Acoustics, ACI, nOrh, Janis, Bag End, Definitive Technology, GR-Research.

5. Jon Cheung

LOL k, sorry I didn't specifiy. I'm looking at around 1000 u.s. to spend on the speakers, 400 on the sub, and about 500 on the receiver. It'll be 60% to watching movies and 40% listening to music. It's going into a big room, retangular shaped with about 9 foot ceilings. What's good for that?

6. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

Check out Ascend Acoustics speakers www.ascendacoustics.com They are an internet-based seller of high value speakers. Teamed up with a Hsu VTF-2 sub you'll have a extremely satisfying system at a budget price. Pick up an Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver and you'll be ready to enjoy! [​IMG]

7. Jon Cheung

Thanks Ben, also I've heard about NHT and Paradigm are very well made speakers, would they be suitable in that surrounding and where can i get these?

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

JBL Studio Series are underated in my opinion (my listening places them in the same category as PSB Image and Paradigm Monitor). Paired with a Hsu VTF2, SVS PCi or Adire Dharman they are an excellent option in that price range.

There are also many DIY options that can turn that budget into a remarkable system. If you have the tools and like the idea of building your own enclosures say so and I'll list some places to start.

9. Ben Jordan

Ben Jordan Stunt Coordinator

Ben
    Also check into Axiom speakers (www.axiomaudio.com).
    Plenty of good reading on them here in the forum if you do a search. I'm *completely* satisified with mine. And they offer a 30-day money-back audition period (and free shipping to you).
    And for a sub, I'm gonna have to say SVS all the way, baby! (worth spending a little more, I promise!)

10. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

I just got an Axiom setup (M50ti, VP150, M2i) to complement my SVS sub. They sounded very good once I got them set up -- after a little tweaking (the speakers were just a tad bright for my tastes -- easily fixed by turning the treble down a little bit), they sound gorgeous.

11. Ben Jordan

Ben Jordan Stunt Coordinator

Ben
    Hey Gary, I haven't found my M50's to be too bright at all, even at reference volume, with quality music. Perhaps my receiver is not as bright as yours? Onkyo 787 here.
    I have noticed the Axiom's reveal a lot - and crappy music really sounds crappy with them! [​IMG]

12. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

I've got a 656, but it could just be that my room dampens the mirange more than the highs. I think it was primarily the center that I was hearing (I was using Fantasia 2000 as my source material, and the triangles were just a hair too high pitched). I also haven't really let them break-in yet, so that might make a difference, too.

Like I said in my original post -- the speakers sounded very good initially (well worth the price I paid), but turning the treble down a hair makes them sound fabulous.

13. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hi Joe. If I were you, I'd build my system with 2-channel music in mind. If you'd like to buy it all in, then that's up to you (and not necessarily wrong) but if you concentrate on your 2-channel system first, you'll then set the standard for the rest of your system as it grows into a HT system. The advantage to this point is that you have the ability to have more control over the sonic signature of your system as it grows taking the "all in one" aspect out of the picture.
    Factors that are important when choosing the gear you're looking for are:
    1. What type of music you listen too.
    2. How loud do you usually play it.
    3. How do you listen to music? Meaning do you spend a lot of time listening critically? You know, sitting between the left and right speakers or do you put your system on and walk away and listen from the kitchen. No need in spending a lot of money on revealing speakers when you don't plan to be around for an extensive amount of time to hear what they are revealing. If that's the case, you might be in the market for dynamic loud speakers that will still do a good job on HT movies but may not be the most refined speaker when playing well recorded music. That's OK because most mid-range speakers fit well into that category and still manage to bring musical enjoyment to their owners.
    4. Room size and acoustics as you've stated earlier.
    In the process of building your system, if you can get your power situation squared away (2-channels of quality power, headroom, low end control at high volumes)and purchase speakers that are refined and capable of handling dynamic material at the same time, then you'd have a wonderful 2-channel system to build around.
    Some of the speakers that I've owned are the PSB Alpha's, PSB 500's, Paradigm Ref 100v.2(dynamic and good for music), PSB Goldi's(ditto for this one as well) and I presently own custom built speakers from GR Research(superior sonics in the highs and upper midrange)and if you do a search you'll find enough about them and my former speakers on this site and others. I can't guarantee that you'd like them if you heard them but at your stage of the game, purchasing and system building strategies are extremely important and more important then what particular speaker or gear you should purchase.
    The difference could be one hobbyist who's system doesn't change often except for maybe processors or source players and another hobbyist who's whole system changes very rapidly which as many will agree can become expensive over time and in some cases only have marginal improvements in sound. If you have good speakers and quality power then your core system more than likely will stay the same for longer periods of time only changing with substantial upgrades.
    If you can see yourself building a system instead of purchasing one all out then this would be the way I'd recommend to you for the long haul. You'd need patience to do it this way (unless you have the funds to pick what you want) but you'll feel a lot more connected to your system as you pick and choose which pieces meet the standard your core components (power, speakers and source material) are built on.
    Second hand power amps in your price range:
    Rotel, B&K, Acurus, Aragon (4004MKII), Parasound, Odyssey Audio and Adcom for starters and all will make for a good foundation in regards to providing adequate power for your system and holding you down until you start to desire a more refined level of power if you should even go that way.
    Speakers well that's the big one. Listen to all of the recommendations from these good folks, read all of the reviews and do your best to try to listen to them in your home if possible. However, I also think that the custom built/DIY speaker offerings are nothing to sneeze at and as in my experience and a growing number of others, offer a substantial increase in overall performance then their similarly priced commercial offerings.
    See these sites:
    Acoustic-Visions
    Rutledge Audio Design
    DIY Cable
    Adire Audio
    Have fun with all of the recommendations you get and best of luck to you.
    *** What source player are you using?

14. fabio_f

fabio_f Agent

"Thanks Ben, also I've heard about NHT and Paradigm are very well made speakers, would they be suitable in that surrounding and where can i get these? "
    Dear Jon,
    personally use two pairs of NHT im my theater and i am pretty satisfy with the result.
    The Super One can be also used as front speakers and even if they are old model they have a nice price-quality ratio!
    Fabio Fiorentino
    Check them here in the Audio Page and Gallery

15. Bill Street

Bill Street Stunt Coordinator

Paradigm is an excellent brand that many people on this forum use. It's a dealer only brand though, so you can't order them off of a website. They do turn up used a good bit on auction sites.

Bill

16. Jon Cheung

Awesome thanx guys. Just looking at Martice's post and I dont know if this will alter anything but the music I listen to is pretty much all trance with a little rap. I love playing it as loud as I can and like to really feel the bass hits. I think, the louder, the better. How I listen to my music really changes. I will definetly turn it up and go somewhere else in the house but I also love to just sit down on my couch and listen to the acoustics of the song. But all in all, probably looking for something to get my house shakin! Thanx a lot guys.

17. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Jon you may need some really easy to drive speakers (8ohm being optimum) and one's that are capable of strong dynamics. You could look at this a couple of ways. You can get a nice pair of bookshelf speakers like mid-range offerings from Paradigm etc. and with the savings, boost up the cost of your sub. This would put you in the range of some serious subwoofers like Adire Audio, SVS, HSU and even some custom built subs that even if you had them built would save you a pretty penny while having world class bass to boot. Companies like the DIY links would provide you with some serious bass at incredible savings.
    Since you like Techno and Rap, having crisp and detailed highs is important because these music types rely on the extremes to keep the listeners happy. I promise you that if you have the right sub for either of the above music types you'll break something in your house for sure.
    Secondly, you can get some full range speakers from GR Research (AV3)and Adire Audio(Kit 281) that will be able to play very loudly with ease and with even a modest sub, would give you excellent low frequency references that would make most rooms fill with sound. The best part about the Kit 281's is that they are so inexpensive if you build them yourself or even if you have them built for you, you walk away with a hell of a deal. I've heard the Kit 281's and they really are in the range of some (commercial)$2,000 speakers and I feel comfortable about that statement because I've owned two of the most popular pair myself.
    This is a picture of a pair of Adire Audio Kit 281's that were put together by Rob Lloyd of Acoustic-Visions.com
    [​IMG]
    For about $780.00 (Shipping not included) you can have speakers that are comparable to commercial offerings that go in the $2,000+ range easy.
    I've never personally heard the Axiom offerings but from what I hear they offer wonderful speakers for how much they sell. You should be getting a lot more suggestions for speakers but with your choice of music and price point, I would either go bookshelf speaker with a big bad sub or I'd go floorstanders with a solid sub.
    My preference would be to get the big bad sub system because with Hip Hop and Techno music, you really shouldn't take shorts on your Bass.

18. Jon Cheung

Thanx a lot Martice. Me and some of my friends are gonna go to a dealership near us that sells Paradigm to see how they sound. I've gotten some prices for them and Monitor 11's look pretty good for 1250. But I'll check up on that. Has anyone heard the Monitor 11's and if so, can you tell me what you thought of them? Thanx