What's new

Top Movie Titles that have Nothing to do With the Movie... (2 Viewers)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I've seen some movies where the title has actually nothing to do with the movie at all. What are your examples?
Naked Lunch
- "I can think of two things wrong with that title" - Nelson Munz
A Clockwork Orange
- What's clockwork and what's orange is beyond me.
I'll think of some more down the road.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Stranger things have happened..." - Wes Deskins
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
"Good Will Hunting"- this movie had NOTHING whatsoever to do with going to Goodwill stores and hunting for 8-tracks!! They stole the title of my proposed documentary!!
wink.gif

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Dances with Wolves
Did you ever see anyone actually dancing with wolves? I mean come on! How stupid do I look? :)
Silence of the Lambs
Didn't see any lambs to be silenced!
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Hmmm, don't think I have to explain this one! :)
EDIT: I guess I was just joking around with these movie titles. I know they have significance in all of the films, but I was just taking them literally. I'm stupid like that! :)
------------------
God bless!
jeffrey noel
My DVD Collection
[Edited last by Jeffrey Noel on November 01, 2001 at 12:36 PM]

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
A Clockwork Orange
Is this a joke? A "clockwork orange" is a person who has been brainwashed/programmed into not having the ability to make moral choices, as Alex was. "Clockwork", because he becomes like a machine in a way, and "orange" because orange is the color associated with living things (at least in England it is). Therefore a "clockwork orange" is a machine-man.
------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Assault on Precinct 13.
This is sort of appropriate, since the police station in the film under siege is indeed "Precinct 9, Division 13". But I'm a Carpenter fan, so I'm allowed to laugh at things like this. :)

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Jeff, I thought the titles from Dances with Wolves and Silence of the Lambs were very indicative of the films they were attached to.
Dances with Wolves: There was a scene in which Costner was actually dancing with wolves. The Indians named him that because that was the first thing they saw him doing, which is kinda their custom, I think. In essence the title is the Indian version of the Costner characters name. That's so much more interesting and creative than naming it "Sgt. Costner" or what ever his name was.
Silence of the Lambs: A much better title than "The Buffalo Bill Murders". I say this movie really isn't about Agent Starling solving the serial killings. This movie is more about her relationship with Hannibal Lecter. How he used her childhood experience to get inside her head and mess with her mind. Luckily for her, he kinda liked her therefore he just played with her, doing no real damage. But look what he did to Multiple Minks(?) and Mason Verger. Or should I say, look what he made them do to themselves, which is even more intriguing. That interaction is the main reason both those films have achieve such a cult status. Not because of the gore or suspense.
I'm not suggesting that you didn't understand all of this. I just can't understand your thinking. A totally desciptive title is not always a good thing. A totally non desciptive title is just wierd.
------------------
"A film, by Oleg Razgul"
"How was that?"
"That was great"

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Is this a joke?
blush.gif

Not really, Steve. I think I was a bit hasty when typing down my thoughts about A Clockwork Orange. I definitely got the clockwork part, but I had no clue as to what the hell oranges had to do with the movie. Thanx for the explanation.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Stranger things have happened..." - Wes Deskins
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Re: Silence of the Lambs
Do you remember the whole "Quib por Quo" (this for that)exchange? The silenced lambs are in reference to the slaughtered spring lambs at the ranch she was moved to after her parents deaths. Hannibal is constantly using her childhood memories of this experience and the death of her father to fuck with her, psychologically. The whole silencing of the lambs is a metaphor for her entire life.
Remember, she tried to free all the lambs, but they wouldn't leave the pen, so she grabbed just one, thinking "If I could just save one.....but it was so heavy....so heavy". Very moving, Dude. Even to hard ass like myself. The slaughtered lambs are metaphor for Buffalo Bills victims. Luckily, she was able to save one, the Governors' daughter. By saving that one and gaining recognition in the FBI, she would have made her father proud. Hannibal really throws all this in her face in the second movie. Or something like that.
------------------
"A film, by Oleg Razgul"
"How was that?"
"That was great"

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
As for Crouching tiger, hidden dragon, I understand tiger and dragon were the names of two of the characters, translated into English. Someone else probably will fill in the details later on. But of course one need to understand the foreign language (mandarin?) in the first place to get it.
------------------
Click here if you want to see Looney Tunes on DVD!
"You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
DVD List Link Removed

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Dreamlife Of Angels
Happiness
Killing Zoe
Live Nude Girls
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Oh yeah, just thought of another one, thanks to Mystery Science Theater 3000.
CAVE DWELLERS
This title has NOTHING to do with the movie. Actually, I don't think any title would have anything to do with this movie. :)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Rush Hour, I don't recall Chris Tucker or Jackie Chan being stuck in traffic trying to get to or from work during that time of day.
wink.gif

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Another wonderful MST3k would be "Danger:Deathray".
Shouldn't it be in the film?
------------------
...I could go on, but I need to take a shit.
-Jason Whyte on "Corky Romano"

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
How about Fargo? Only one scene took place in Fargo, everything else was in Minnesota.
I can't remember exactly, but how did Magnolia fit into the movie?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I think they were referring to the street name for Magnolia.
I think they went with Fargo because not many people would hand out oscars for a movie called Brainerd!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks