What's new

Top-Line 57" CRT-RPTV? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I currently own a Toshiba 57HX81, and want to purchase a new set before CRT-RPTV's go the way of the turntable- when people realize that they offer superior PQ, especially for movies, they'll be a boutique item and limited in availability.
Time is running out- I see that Toshiba is using inferior optics on their latest models as compared to a year ago. Other companies seem to have topped out in their efforts to improve their CRT based sets any further.

What is the current near state of the art in CRT-RPTV's?

So far, I see that Hitachi's X-500 Director's Series seems to be in the running... Who else is making a quality RPTV in this category?

FYI- I will have it ISF calibrated, and am willing to do periodic convergence, etc.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
There is another thread similar to yours ---- but I just bought the Sony 57" (KP-57WS520). Excellent picture --- it's going to be scary how good it will look when I get it ISF'd.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Hitachi Director's series, Mitsubishi Diamond series are about the only ones being marketed as high end, but I think the Sony 520 series is probably at least as good even if not specifically marketed as "high-end". One factor to consider is that the Sonys will still display native 480p, while Hitachi's done the 540p-1080i conversion for years and the newest Mits models no longer do native 480p.

Panasonic's crt sets are also pretty highly regarded.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I have the 51 inch model Sony and simply love it, but I've read that the Mitsubishi is rated pretty high in picture quality. It have 9" guns as oppose to the standard 7" guns placed in most sets.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Actually only high end models of Mits in the 65" size have the 9" tubes, they are said to be about as good as it gets these days for HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks