Neil Middlemiss

Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Top Gun has been released several times on home video. Before this outstanding 4K release, Paramount released it on Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray, part of a Blu-ray collection of Tom Cruise films, and then a steelbook edition for the film’s 30th anniversary. The 3D edition was fun, and while the different Blu-ray editions did not vary all that much in quality, this new 4K UHD edition is wonderful.

Top Gun (1986)

Released: 16 May 1986
Rated: PG
Runtime: 110 min

Director: Tony Scott
Genre: Action, Drama, Romance

Cast: Tom Cruise, Kelly McGillis, Val Kilmer, Anthony Edwards
Writer(s): Jim Cash, Jack Epps Jr., Ehud Yonay (magazine article "Top Guns")

Plot: As students at the United States Navy's elite fighter weapons school compete to be best in the class, one daring young pilot learns a few things from a civilian...
Continue reading...

Reactions: Sam Posten

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Neil,

Thank you for your your fine review. I haven't received my 4K disc yet, but I have watched the first 45 minutes of the 4K digital that doesn't have Atmos. My question is why you didn't give the audio presentation a 5.0 rating?

Reactions: Sam Posten

Malcolm R

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Malcolm
Any idea if the blu-ray included with this is just a repackage of the old one, or a new version from the 4K master?

Adam Gregorich

Owner
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Adam
Thanks Neil. I will be upgrading my blu-ray! I remember both the film and soundtrack like it was yesterday. Glad to see Loverboy gets some love with the included music video. Can’t wait to see it in 4k with Atmos!

Reactions: Neil Middlemiss

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Any idea if the blu-ray included with this is just a repackage of the old one, or a new version from the 4K master?
It's a brand-new transfer with Atmos. It's available on its own and not just as part of the 4K package.

BTW, "Days of Thunder" comes with no Blu-ray period, and "WotW" recycles the old BD - only "Top Gun" gets a 2020 BD release...

noel aguirre

Supporting Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
noel
A pure Reagan 80’s era film- I can’t imagine this being made today. well maybe a Space Force version.
I have the 3 D version so I will get this hopefully Black Friday on the cheap.

Neil Middlemiss

Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Neil,

Thank you for your your fine review. I haven't received my 4K disc yet, but I have watched the first 45 minutes of the 4K digital that doesn't have Atmos. My question is why you didn't give the audio presentation a 5.0 rating?
Good question. I was on the edge of giving it a 5, but I tend to go with my gut when rating things (movies, audio/video, special features) and the 4.5 was what came to me. I guess that the audio is excellent, but didn't quite push me into the perfect category. If I get time this week I'll re-watch a couple of key scenes from the film and see if my gut tells me I was selling the audio short at all :)

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
My 4K disc has been delayed coming from Target. I now have several titles that I bought during Target's last "Buy 2, Get 1 Free) sale that are now delayed due to the pandemic. Oh well, it gives me more time to watch some titles from my "un-watched" pile.:)

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Roger Mathus
My 4k disc arrived last Friday. I used the digital code to save digital copt to VUDU and it only provided an HDX quality file. VUDU shows a 4k upgrade for $ 19.95. I also used digital code for Paramont's WAR OF THE WORLDS and it did provide a 4k file on my VUDU library. Anyone else have this problem with TOP GUN?

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
My 4k disc arrived last Friday. I used the digital code to save digital copt to VUDU and it only provided an HDX quality file. VUDU shows a 4k upgrade for $ 19.95. I also used digital code for Paramont's WAR OF THE WORLDS and it did provide a 4k file on my VUDU library. Anyone else have this problem with TOP GUN?
Roger,

You should browse this site before redeeming your codes as it details most issues with redeeming codes. The following is what they said about "Top Gun":

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Thanks for the reference site to search.Did not know it existed. I contacted Paramount two days ago and sent them photos of packaging and receipt as they requested. No response yet.

UPDATE - Paramount provided a new redeem code that worked. Redeemed the DAYS OF THUNDER code and it worked. Looks like only TOP GUN of the three new Paramount releases with wrong redeem code.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glenn C.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Good question. I was on the edge of giving it a 5, but I tend to go with my gut when rating things (movies, audio/video, special features) and the 4.5 was what came to me. I guess that the audio is excellent, but didn't quite push me into the perfect category. If I get time this week I'll re-watch a couple of key scenes from the film and see if my gut tells me I was selling the audio short at all :)
This afternoon, after watching the 4K disc in its entirety and then comparing it to the 4K digital, there is zero doubt that this 4K disc is not only a 5.0 in video presentation, but also its audio presentation. I couldn't believe the differences audio-wise between the disc and digital. The first five minutes of the movie makes it obviously clear which Atmos track is superior. I even did further film sequence comparisons without changing my receiver's settings and got the same result. I am so happy I decided to buy this on 4K disc instead of just settling for the 4K digital on iTunes.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derpok