What's new

Top Gun: SE NOT Coming on November 11- (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I think the 2:1 framing was a mistake, just like Silverado.

It's gotta be 2.35:1 with remixed DTS (or better yet DTS-ES Discrete 6.1) audio! Yeah, baby, yeah!

Even though the movie no longer holds up.

Dan

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Thanks for letting us know Martin, even if it is bad nwes. Oh, and to the admins, nice idea to give him a Paramount Pictures title, now no more "Who is Martin Blythe and why is his opinion so important?" (which I've been guilty of once :) )

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Crap! :frowning: But thanks to Paramount for giving us the remastered Special Editions of the Jack Ryan series. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I really think the title of this thread should be changed now. Furthermore, I think we need to wait for an OFFICIAL announcement of a DVD release instead of a pre-order from a Web site.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit

Martin, does Paramount have something against making money?

Every home video version of Top Gun has sold... every cd version has sold... The movie is still a cash cow after 17 years.

Damn I am mad. (But not anymore, thanks Martin)

-- Matt

greg_t

Screenwriter
Dave H is 100% correct. We need to wait for something offical from the studio's on these big releases before we get too worked up.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Furthermore, I think we need to wait for an OFFICIAL announcement of a DVD release instead of a pre-order from a Web site.
I agree that this is the wisest thing to do. Look at the situation recently with Amazon listing the 10 Fox TV titles and then Fox turning around and telling us, "Sorry...those dates aren't set in stone and we'll get Amazon to pull them off for now".

On the other hand, all ten of those titles are still listed at Amazon with the same release dates.

And, on that same hand, we also have the fact that Amazon listed Disney/BV titles for shows like Alias and the second season of Felicity far in advance (weeks for the former, a couple of months for the latter!) of any official information being available from the studio sources. What Amazon posted early turned out to be true; and so the e-tailer listing was a valuable piece of information that would have been foolish to ignore.

Now, no offense to users of DVDSoon, but in my opinion there is a world of difference between trusting advance info from Amazon on a fairly unique title (hard to screw up the meaning of "Alias Season 1", right?) and trusting advance info from DVDSoon about an existing title with the only difference being the words "Special Edition" tacked onto the end (and no box art or listing of supplements to support that this is a different release!).

Especially in view of the fact that many e-tailers tack that "SE" suffix onto many releases who don't contain those words in the title (example: Image Entertainment, back when they distributed everyone's stuff, called anything an "SE" that contained a commentary track or a full-fledged behind-the-scenes documentary).

But Top Gun's existing release hardly falls into that category: no commentary track, no docs or featurettes, and no trailer. And, even when you have access to some of that particular studio's advance information like I do, you know how easy it is for things to slip in under the radar. And sometimes any studio can keep something quiet, for the impact of a big surprise later. And sometimes any e-tailer can accidentally let the cat out of the bag with a jump-the-gun posting.

So yeah, I decided it was a legit thing based on a strange set of circumstances, and got my hopes up on this one too. I should have used my head. I guess I just wanted to believe! :D

Anyway, I think we can all appreciate Martin for not leaving us hanging out to dry here. He didn't have to say a word, but it's good that he did. Being mad at him or Paramount and thinking that they have something against making money isn't the way to go. They have their own plans and strategies for how these things happen. I imagine that, with new leadership over that department, there are a lot of re-thinking going on about those strategies, too.

Patience. As was pointed out, this title has sold well in every home video format, and its unimaginable that a better version won't be along sooner or later.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Speaking of Paramount and DTS........ When will we start seeing Paramount include DTS on their new releases???

They announced their support beginning with the Jack Ryan series,all good and well. but i want to see Paramount start including DTS on their A titles/new releases.

Oh when oh when?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
As with everyone else here, I'm really bummed about this. Martin, maybe now you can persuade your management to move this project up.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Well call me a "in between the lines" reader, but I think Martin left his response rather vague on purpose. There may be some details that are true but he can't say what they are yet, thus the vague statement on what isn't true. I bet it's the actual date that isn't true, not the fact that a SE version of Top Gun is in the works. Looks like we wait and see. As always, thanks for the post Martin!

Dean

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
I am the only one who thinks Mr. Blythe should go into politics: Martin for President! LOL :)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Again Martin, thanks for the update. Good catch Dean, I totally missed the implications of what was said. And what was left unsaid.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
You're smart beyond your years, Dean.
Martin, I love you.

And I will love you even more if you adhear to my list of wishes made earlier in this thread.

Top Gun was the film that I fell in love with movies from. 17 years comes mid-May, its never relenquished its thrown as my favorite movie.

-- Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks