What's new

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yep, that looks like a Top Gun movie.

Also, a moderator might want to update the title of the thread since the release year is now 2020.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Nope.

During a July 2019 interview with Entertainment Tonight, Kelly McGillis said that she was not asked to appear in this movie.. When asked why she thought she wasn't contacted, she said, it was likely because "I'm old and I'm fat and I look age-appropriate for what my age is, and that is not what that whole scene is about. I'd much rather feel absolutely secure in my skin and who and what I am at my age, as opposed to placing a value on all that other stuff."

spl5105035_001.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Director Joseph Kosinski recently gave a new interview to tease the sequel:

It's weird to think that we all would have seen this film already if not for the virus. It would be nice if it was safe to go in December, but I'm not holding my breath. I get the feeling they might have to reschedule this again, for next summer, perhaps.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Delayed again by Paramount. This time to July 2, 2021, where it will compete with Minions.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I hope we'll see physical copies of all the movies we can't go see this year due to Covid, I don't want to believe I've purchased my last disc already.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I hope we'll see physical copies of all the movies we can't go see this year due to Covid, I don't want to believe I've purchased my last disc already.

They have been putting out or at least announcing discs for titles that premiered on streaming instead of playing in theaters. It’s just a slightly modified release schedule compared to a normal product life cycle.

Instead of theaters to streaming purchases first to physical media releases day and date with streaming rental, and then subscription streaming after, they’ve been doing premium streaming pricing, then lower cost streaming pricing, and then discs, with subscription adds also coming earlier than expected on some titles. If they feel they can make some money with a disc version, they will.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm also not sure what streaming debuts have to do with Top Gun. It's going to come out next summer in theaters. Then there will be a disc next fall. No one ever said it wouldn't have a Blu-ray.

There is no way this title is being sold to a streaming service unless Tom Cruise can personally come to your door and turn off the motion smoothing on your TV.

Last edited:

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Why on earth would you think that?
The reason I posted my fear of this happening in the Top Gun thread is because this is the type of movie I'm most likely to spend my money on. I'm pretty sure already it'll be a fun spectacle to watch, and I can't imagine the sound mix will be anything but spectacular. I'll go to the theater, be blown away, and then buy the disc day one. Most likely this is what will happen with this particular movie.

With the majority of the big ticket movies being delayed and likely all being pushed to next year, that's a lot of downtime for any big time disc releases to come out. What was the last mainstream disc release, Trolls 2? We don't know what's going to happen to theaters, if they can all survive, when they'll reopen, etc., and I can just see people getting used to and accepting VOD more and more accelerating the death of physical media we were already headed toward before Covid-19.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
With the majority of the big ticket movies being delayed and likely all being pushed to next year, that's a lot of downtime for any big time disc releases to come out. What was the last mainstream disc release, Trolls 2?

If I understand the question, didn't Scoob get a disc release after being a PVOD film? And didn't that come out last week on disc?

I understand the fear overall, and it is one piece of the ever-changing theatrical release puzzle for sure. And yet another sub-industry which is being jerked around by everything going on.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If I understand the question, didn't Scoob get a disc release after being a PVOD film? And didn't that come out last week on disc?

I understand the fear overall, and it is one piece of the ever-changing theatrical release puzzle for sure. And yet another sub-industry which is being jerked around by everything going on.
Yeah, I think it'll be years before major studios' new releases stop getting a physical release. I do think studios are going to release less and less catalog titles though. Fortunately, smaller labels are still interested in releasing those movies.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm bumping this thread because the movie has been delayed again.

Top Gun: Maverick is now penciled in for November 19, 2021. This replaces Mission: Impossible 7 which was supposed to open there. Consequently, M:I moves to May 27, 2022.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Top Gun: Maverick is now penciled in for May 27, 2022. This replaces Mission: Impossible 7 which was supposed to open there. Consequently, M:I7 moves to September 30, 2022.

This feels very much like deja vu.

Last edited:

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George

Top Gun: Maverick is now penciled in for May 27, 2022. This replaces Mission: Impossible 7 which was supposed to open there. Consequently, M:I7 moves to September 30, 2022.

This feels very much like deja vu.

So when a movie is delayed like this, do they just basically keep it in the can? Or do you think they polish them up a bit more since they have more time? Just curious.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So when a movie is delayed like this, do they just basically keep it in the can?
Paramount showed the first 13 minutes of the movie to theater owners at CinemaCon last month and from what I heard it got a great reception (although I wasn't; actually there so what I heard was secondhand through Twitter, etc.)

I can't speak with any authority on this but my impression is that the film is done. It was probably done for release in summer 2020 when it was supposed to have been done. Tom Cruise has long since been working on the pair of Mission: Impossible sequels. I suppose if they wanted to, they could tweak the film. But It seems like Paramount is happy with what they have.

They just want more people to go to the movie theaters and think that will happen next year. We'll see if they're right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks