What's new

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The F-14 was in the original, I'm sure this sequel will feature the state of the art F-35(if completed by then) as the new cool jet. $420 billion for the development of it, and $180 million per jet. A lot of money for a fighter jet that will most likely never be used for "fighting". Hope it can at least be featured in the movie. Rampant CGI will probably win out though.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I sure hope we don't see recruiting tables in the theaters again, like there were in '86.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Cruise also Tweeted out this image on May 30th to mark the first official day of production on the film:

DegKeduXUAAWBLt.jpg

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
notice Capt Insignia on his flight suit, did my 25 years, it's been 30 plus for the film, and the advantage was it was a hell of a recruiting
tool, for him to go from Lt to Capt, uh no, either he has a couple of stars on his shoulder by now, or is out of the service, have personally known a few decent officers who had to separate from service because the didn't advance in a timely fashion. So as much as i like the first film, gotta call BS on this.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
notice Capt Insignia on his flight suit, did my 25 years, it's been 30 plus for the film, and the advantage was it was a hell of a recruiting
tool, for him to go from Lt to Capt, uh no, either he has a couple of stars on his shoulder by now, or is out of the service, have personally known a few decent officers who had to separate from service because the didn't advance in a timely fashion. So as much as i like the first film, gotta call BS on this.
What if the film doesn't take place today, but some years after 9/11? By the way, you would think that Viper would be more than a CDR in Top Gun if he served in the Vietnam War.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
What if the film doesn't take place today, but some years after 9/11? By the way, you would think that Viper would be more than a CDR in Top Gun if he served in the Vietnam War.

i could go for that, always though Viper was too low in rank as well

upload_2018-7-5_13-49-27.png

my version of Top Gun

Last edited:

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Very little dog fighting, if any, is done today so it is curious what the film will be about. Based on what I read, it will make extensive use of drones in some way.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The first one hasn't aged well, so a second helping of Top Gun hash just seems unneeded. I mean, did anyone ever ask for a sequel to "Top Gun"?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The first one hasn't aged well, so a second helping of Top Gun hash just seems unneeded. I mean, did anyone ever ask for a sequel to "Top Gun"?
When has that ever mattered in Hollywood?

That being said I’m looking forward to this film.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm going to give Tom Cruise the benefit of the doubt here and assume for the moment that if he's doing this again 33 years later, there has got to be a good reason, narratively speaking. He doesn't need the money.

So for right now, I'm cautiously optimistic. I'll be curious to see some footage though. I bet Paramount puts the first teaser trailer on Bumblebee in December.

That being said, using his character's name as the subtitle really doesn't seem that effective. If they can't come up with a catchy title, just call it Top Gun 2.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Hmm. That's a long delay for something that is currently in production.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It could be a scenario like the postponement of Batman V Superman - in that case, the production only needed an extra couple weeks, but there wasn't a great window available to push it to near its original spot, so the entire movie was pushed from 2015 to 2016 - but they didn't actually need all of that extra time. This could be a similar case where they wanted an early or mid-summer release, and since it was no longer possible to make one in 2019, they simply are opting for 2020.

Or it could be a sign of impending doom and gloom.

Joseph Kosinski is directing, who has a pretty good track record for bringing things in on time and on budget, and worked well with Cruise in Oblivion. The Deadline article is saying the delay is for the flight sequences. I would tend to take that at face value. If they're using real plans, and trying to get real planes from the defense department to use (as was the case with the first film), the delay might be out of their hands entirely - if the military says you have to wait, you have to wait.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It will also be interesting to see what happens to the July 2019 release schedule as a result of this move.

Top Gun was scheduled to open in between Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5) and The Lion King remake (July 19.) It's possible that some studio could move a tentpole there to replace it, or, given the massive titles surrounding it, they could opt to leave things as-is. If the latter, Spider-Man would probably just have two weeks at #1 before Simba takes over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks