What's new

Pre-Order Top Gun (1986) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Scott, do yourself a favor and give Tropic Thunder a watch. Cruise plays a supporting character and he's not the focus of the film. I realize that recommending a comedy is dangerous ground, but I (and many others) find the movie hilarious. If you're looking for a good laugh, you could do a lot worse than this.

The opening of Tropic Thunder was really disorienting in an actual movie theater. The audience I was with were confounded for the first couple minutes, until everybody realized what was happening and a wave of laughter swept through the theater. Unfortunately, that part will never play quite the same at home.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I see his performance in Rain Man as not much different than him in his other films. Dustin Hoffman acts circles around him in that film.

I disagree. Hoffman's character has no emotional arc, whereas Cruise's does.

Cruise had to pull off that shift, whereas Hoffman just had to be the same. He plays a cartoon version of autism.

Tom Hanks was the one who deserved the Oscar for 1988...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The opening of Tropic Thunder was really disorienting in an actual movie theater. The audience I was with were confounded for the first couple minutes, until everybody realized what was happening and a wave of laughter swept through the theater. Unfortunately, that part will never play quite the same at home.

I saw "Thunder" with a friend who never figured out that the fake promos at the start weren't actual ads! :blink:

I didn't like Cruise's performance in "Thunder". His attempt at comedy doesn't mesh - I feel like we're supposed to laugh because we know it's Tom Cruise under that bald cap and fat suit, not because he's funny.

Downey 100% steals that show...

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Hoffman's character has no emotional arc, whereas Cruise's does.

Cruise had to pull off that shift, whereas Hoffman just had to be the same. He plays a cartoon version of autism.
I agree wholeheartedly. Hoffman was a one-trick pony here; Cruise carried the film. Not a film that I thought should have won all those accolades anyway, but Cruise certainly was the best part of it.
I felt the same way about Hanks in the Gump movie. A one-trick pony performance in a film I dislike intensely.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I agree wholeheartedly. Hoffman was a one-trick pony here; Cruise carried the film. Not a film that I thought should have won all those accolades anyway, but Cruise certainly was the best part of it.
I felt the same way about Hanks in the Gump movie. A one-trick pony performance in a film I dislike intensely.

Gump gets a bit more emotional range, though - he does develop somewhat as the movie progresses. Agree it wasn't Oscar-worthy but at least a performance with more nuance and demands than Raymond.

I thought "Rain Man" was damaging because it was the first time so many people had to folks with autism, and it made those people think all folks with autism were as extreme as Raymond!

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Received an email from Target this morning saying the release date has been pushed to December 8th.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Since Days of Thunder & War of the Worlds(2005) were getting released as a Tom Cruise "tie-in" wonder if they will get pushed too? No email yet on those.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since Days of Thunder & War of the Worlds(2005) were getting released as a Tom Cruise "tie-in" wonder if they will get pushed too? No email yet on those.
I don’t think so for the reason I noted in my previous post.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Received an email from Target this morning saying the release date has been pushed to December 8th.
I just noticed that Target has two 4K releases for "Top Gun" with the exclusive/steel book release being delayed to December 8th and the regular 4K release still showing a May 19th release date. Also, Amazon and Deep Discount are still showing a May 19th release date. Deep Discount has a 4K steelbook release too, but it's still showing May 19th as its release date. It's something to monitor in the coming days.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Target steelbook isn't exlusive same across all retailers.
Whether it's exclusive or not, the point is that regular 4K release hasn't been pushed back yet. So it bears watching if it's the title itself that's been delayed or just the steelbook due to the packaging as Amazon is showing their steelbook with a December 8th date too while the regular 4K release is still showing May 19th? I don't know, so we'll see what happens.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It’s going to suck if the whole 4K release gets pushed back just because the sequel did. All the digital retailers already had the new artwork updated, but I noticed about a week ago iTunes reverted back to the old artwork, which is a bad sign. The 4K digital release is all set to go but they may hold off just because they want to maximize sales with a tie-in to the sequel!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It’s going to suck if the whole 4K release gets pushed back just because the sequel did. All the digital retailers already had the new artwork updated, but I noticed about a week ago iTunes reverted back to the old artwork, which is a bad sign. The 4K digital release is all set to go but they may hold off just because they want to maximize sales with a tie-in to the sequel!
That's what I'm afraid might happen. I think it's stupid as how many people, who buy this on 4K disc to make a difference at the box office as I won't be seeing the sequel in a movie theater even in December. I'm done with movie theaters in the foreseeable future and the movie industry needs to wake up to that reality as I'm not going to be the only one.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It is clear that the disc release was originally intended to tie in with the June theatrical release of the sequel, but I don't think there would be any real benefit to holding it. People who want Top Gun in 4K will buy it regardless of when the sequel comes out. If it is released now, it will still be available in December for anyone who wants to buy it then. Paramount doesn't really have any money coming in right now because they had to scuttle the release of the sequels to A Quiet Place and Top Gun. The sales that this will generate in 4K will bring in something to them, which is better than nothing. So as long as the disc is pressed and ready to go, I feel like they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they delay it.

Amazon is still listing May 19 for my pre-order of the new standard Blu-ray edition. So is Best Buy last I checked.

I won't be seeing the sequel in a movie theater even in December. I'm done with movie theaters in the foreseeable future and the movie industry needs to wake up to that reality as I'm not going to be the only one.

So what do they suggest they do with it then? If you and others don't feel comfortable returning to movie theaters, that's entirely your prerogative. But they've got to release the sequel at some point. They can't keep all of their big movies on ice forever, and there's no way to know when the audience will feel comfortable. I think setting it for the holiday period is reasonable at this point in time, and they'll get the attendance that they'll get.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
So what do they suggest they do with it then? If you and others don't feel comfortable returning to movie theaters, that's entirely your prerogative. But they've got to release the sequel at some point. They can't keep all of their big movies on ice forever, and there's no way to know when the audience will feel comfortable. I think setting it for the Christmas period is reasonable, and they'll get the attendance that they'll get.

Lots of people are already fed up with quarantine and social distancing - and not just the nutbag protestors we've seen the last few days.

Governments imposed shutdowns because otherwise people would gather en masse. If people truly self-quarantined, there'd be no need.

I can't be the only one who saw the images of the newly reopened beaches in FL.

Some people will continue to avoid crowds, but many others won't, and I think the "won'ts" will be enough to sell lots of movie tickets...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So what do they suggest they do with it then? If you and others don't feel comfortable returning to movie theaters, that's entirely your prerogative. But they've got to release the sequel at some point. They can't keep all of their big movies on ice forever, and there's no way to know when the audience will feel comfortable. I think setting it for the holiday period is reasonable at this point in time, and they'll get the attendance that they'll get.
I’m not suggesting they don’t release their movies into theaters. The studios have to do what they have to do with their movies, but they probably need to revise their box office projections because I think they’re going to take a hit with those box office receipts when theaters do open up. It’s going to happen because some people won’t go back to theaters until they feel safe from this deadly virus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks