What's new

Pre-Order Top Gun (1986) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Even if the Blu-ray is the same as the currently available Blu-ray it’s still going to be better then your DVD.

Right, which is why I ordered it. But if it's the same, I could just order the old one now and not wait until May 19.

It's not a big deal, but I've been getting excited about revisiting the movie and don't want to do so with the non-anamorphic DVD.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
What’s the hurry? Might as well wait to see if the new Blu-ray is a remastered one.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Preordered the 4K through Ron’s link. Now to see if Amazon can manage to deliver it on release date. Not holding my breath.

Mark

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What’s the hurry?

Nothing. You're right of course. I'm just impatient.

Now to see if Amazon can manage to deliver it on release date.

They've actually been pretty good about that for me recently. Little Women was expected two days after release but showed up on the release date anyway despite the pandemic.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I’ve never seen this film (not a huge fan of director Tony Scott- way too many close-ups
with no sense of environment or surroundings),
and star vehicle films are normally films I don’t like.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
They've actually been pretty good about that for me recently. Little Women was expected two days after release but showed up on the release date anyway despite the pandemic.

Amazon's been all over the place for me in terms of shipping times.

I've not ordered anything new other than a book a couple weeks back that did come on release date, but the other items I've ordered have come with wildly disparate shipping times.

BDs are mostly coming on a normal schedule even though Amazon said they'd be delayed. A few are still waiting, though, so I have no clue why some come to me right away and others take a month.

Doesn't bother me, really, but it is confusing!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think his performances in Born on the Fourth of July, Magnolia, and Tropic Thunder all disprove that.
He's a better actor than people give him credit for as it kind of reminds me of John Wayne being a film icon that was a much actor than people realized about him.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading about a lottery winner who bought a super home theater system and just played Top Gun. If it’s an important feature, Top Gun has been considered a great show off disc if you’ve got an audio system that can really reproduce the aerial sound effects. I’ve enjoyed the film many times just for the audio track.

I would agree it’s iconic as an 80’s film.

I am going to guess that since it’s a Paramount film, like the Jack Ryan set, the 4K release will be a nice upgrade, but the included blu ray is the same as the old blu ray. I’ll probably buy this and the Jack Ryan set. I don’t have a 4K set yet. But I can play 4K discs, so it would be interesting to see the 4K disc on my old display.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I remember reading about a lottery winner who bought a super home theater system and just played Top Gun. If it’s an important feature, Top Gun has been condensed a great show off disc if you’ve got an audio system that can really reproduce the aerial sound effects. I’ve enjoyed the film many times just for the audio track.

I would agree it’s iconic as an 80’s film.

I am going to guess that since it’s a Paramount film, like the Jack Ryan set, the 4K release will be a nice upgrade, but the included blu ray is the same as the old blu ray. I’ll probably buy this and the Jack Ryan set. I don’t have a 4K set yet. But I can play 4K discs, so it would be interesting to see the 4K disc on my old display.
I used the beginning of the movie to demo my audio system back around 1987, to other people not into HT.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Cruise plays his characters all pretty much the same in almost every movie. He has very limited range as an "actor".

I see where you are coming from, and I somewhat agree; but I would add that he can extend himself given the right material and director. In addition to the films that JoshZ listed, I would add Rain Man and perhaps Collateral. Robert's comparison to John Wayne sounds right also, in terms of him being iconic. Cruise can comfortably fit into a niche, particularly in most of his action oriented roles, but there is more there.

- Walter.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I see where you are coming from, and I somewhat agree; but I would add that he can extend himself given the right material and director. In addition to the films that JoshZ listed, I would add Rain Man and perhaps Collateral. Robert's comparison to John Wayne sounds right also, in terms of him being iconic. Cruise can comfortably fit into a niche, particularly in most of his action oriented roles, but there is more there.

- Walter.
I see his performance in Rain Man as not much different than him in his other films. Dustin Hoffman acts circles around him in that film. I never saw Collateral. BTW, I never saw Tropic Thunder, either. I've seen enough Cruise movies so that at this point in my life I tend to ignore anything new he's in -- I have never seen any of the Jack Reacher films, either. I just don't care for him as an actor.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I see his performance in Rain Man as not much different than him in his other films. Dustin Hoffman acts circles around him in that film. I never saw Collateral. BTW, I never saw Tropic Thunder, either. I've seen enough Cruise movies so that at this point in my life I tend to ignore anything new he's in -- I have never seen any of the Jack Reacher films, either. I just don't care for him as an actor.
Well, I guess you and I have different POV on Cruise's acting abilities as I thought his performance in Rain Man was better than Hoffman's as his role demanded more range than Hoffman's character. It's fine you don't care for him as an actor. From my perspective, there are very few actors past or present that I have such a bias against that I refuse to see their movies. That type of logic isn't in my DNA.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, I guess you and I have different POV on Cruise's acting abilities as I thought his performance in Rain Man was better than Hoffman's as his role demanded more range than Hoffman's character. It's fine you don't care for him as an actor. From my perspective, there are very few actors past or present that I have such a bias against that I refuse to see their movies. That type of logic isn't in my DNA.
Actually, I don't refuse to watch his films, it's just I tend to avoid a lot of them because I know how I feel about his acting. I will watch A Few Good Men, Rain Man, and some others (I will probably pick up the UHD of Top Gun at some point, too). I find other things of value in those films. Other times I see a preview and think "oh, another Tom Cruise action film -- I'll pass". That's probably why I never bothered with the Jack Reacher movies.

This falls into that area we were discussing in the thread about great films you only want to see once. We all have different opinions and viewpoints. No one is right or wrong.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Scott, do yourself a favor and give Tropic Thunder a watch. Cruise plays a supporting character and he's not the focus of the film. I realize that recommending a comedy is dangerous ground, but I (and many others) find the movie hilarious. If you're looking for a good laugh, you could do a lot worse than this.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My enjoyment of this film (and I do feel it is a REALLY good film) is magnified by the fact that it was filmed in my town. We still go to Kansas City BBQ every once in awhile (obviously, not recently).

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Trivia: The filming location for Charlie's home (Kelly McGillis) was the Graves home (named after the family that built it) in Oceanside, CA (quite a ways north of Miramar Top Gun school). The house was built in 1887 and it (and some other homes of similar vintage near it) had fallen into disrepair since the movie was filmed. The city of Oceanside purchased the property where the homes were located with plans to build some resort hotels on the site.

Thanks to its popularity as a tourist attraction, the Graves home was spared the wrecking ball (the other nearby homes were destroyed). The city moved the Graves home to a nearby parking lot in early 2019. It remains there while construction continues on the original site. At some point the Graves home will be moved back to the site (but not exactly in its original spot) and the contractor plans to refurbish it and use it as a shop or some sort, perhaps an ice cream parlor.

In the April 2019 Google Street View, the Graves home can be seen sitting in the parking lot about two blocks from its original location:

https://goo.gl/maps/1t96zsZFkRfoLyEy9

Edit: Found this photo of the Graves home sitting in its original location before it was moved:

2729618459_cce5da36b3_b.jpg

Here's a Google Street View from the north in October 2018 a few months before the house was moved:

https://goo.gl/maps/5ci5AALX2yLFr8xz6

And during more well-loved days around the turn of the century:

graves-house-historical-cottage.jpg

Mark

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks