What's new

Pre-Order Top Gun (1986) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81Ui9eCij5L._SX522_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm probably going to pass on this disc release along with "War of the Worlds" as I purchase them digitally on iTunes last year so hopefully I get a free 4K upgrade.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Amazon Canada is also listing a steelbook version of this.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Steelbook added to the preorder links for as long as it remains active on Amazon

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Preordered the 4K edition.

Also carted the steel book. Deciding if I want to swing the $10 price difference.

Being I was a college junior in 1986 (and on my way to an military officer’s commission), this film holds some memories for me.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Preordered the 4K edition.

Also carted the steel book. Deciding if I want to swing the $10 price difference.

Being I was a college junior in 1986 (and on my way to an military officer’s commission), this film holds some memories for me.

I'd just finished my first year of college when "Top Gun" hit. I did a did in Air Force ROTC but otherwise have no military connection! :D

I've always viewed "TG" as the first meh 80s movie to be its year's top-grossing film.

"Empire", "Raiders", "ET", "Jedi", "Ghostbusters", "Back to the Future" - all wonderful films that I still enjoy.

But "TG"?

Meh, and it "launched" a short run of meh or worse top-grossers in the US: "3 Men and a Baby" and "Rain Man" aren't movies I like.

At least "Batman" finished the decade on a positive note!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't need 4K, but have never upgraded this to Blu-ray from our old non-anamorhpic DVD. Do we know if there is any difference between the new Blu-ray edition arriving on May 19 versus currently available copies? Thanks.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Confession time: I’ve never seen this movie.

Yeah, no reason, just never got around to it. Probably the most popular movie that I’ve never seen. My wife insisted on buying it on Blu-ray some years ago when we randomly saw it on the shelf, and still we haven’t watched it.

I hear it’s about a bunch of guys who play volleyball right?

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

Yeah, no reason, just never got around to it. Probably the most popular movie that I’ve never seen. My wife insisted on buying it on Blu-ray some years ago when we randomly saw it on the shelf, and still we haven’t watched it.

Quentin Tarantino has a pretty good summary. (Note: some salty language.)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It's probably the most definitive film of the 80s, which isn't the same as saying it's the best.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

One of my favorite movies of all time. Great soundtrack and fun movie. It's totally 80s and love every second of it.

The day my 4k shows up will be GLORIOUS.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yet, a sequel is going to be released once movie theaters are back in business.

I really wonder how that is going to work out.

Full disclosure: I was not alive when Top Gun was in theaters, and it doesn't hold any particular special significance in my life. I saw it on DVD and liked it very much and I will see the sequel for sure. But the movie is very, very much a product of its time that reflects the '80s in an incredibly specific way. It will be interesting to see if the sequel is successful in bringing that into 2020 or not, and what the response will be from younger moviegoers who might not be as acquainted with Tom Cruise for this role as they are with him as, say, Ethan Hunt. I know some of my friends who are around my age or younger who have turned up to see the last few Mission Impossible sequels but have never seen Top Gun, and I don't know if they will come out or not. I will, and I hope the movie is really good. But I do think Top Gun in 2020 presents an interesting challenge, and we'll see if the movie meets it.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
It will be interesting to see if the sequel is successful in bringing that into 2020 or not, and what the response will be from younger moviegoers who might not be as acquainted with Tom Cruise for this role as they are with him as, say, Ethan Hunt. I know some of my friends who are around my age or younger who have turned up to see the last few Mission Impossible sequels but have never seen Top Gun, and I don't know if they will come out or not. I will, and I hope the movie is really good. But I do think Top Gun in 2020 presents an interesting challenge, and we'll see if the movie meets it.

I doubt it will be a problem. Based on the trailers, Cruise seems to be playing this as "Mission Impossible with fighter jets."

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don't need 4K, but have never upgraded this to Blu-ray from our old non-anamorhpic DVD. Do we know if there is any difference between the new Blu-ray edition arriving on May 19 versus currently available copies? Thanks.
Even if the Blu-ray is the same as the currently available Blu-ray it’s still going to be better then your DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks