Top Games of the Year

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ike, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Well, I searched and didn't find a similar thread, so I'll post it.
    What, of the the games you've played, have been the Top 10 of the Year? I guess you could do seperate lists (Console-PC) but, in my own experience, I haven't bought enough PC games this year to do a whole seperate list. So, with the fact I haven't played the X-Box (yet, I've got one) and that I don't have a GameCube in mind, here's my list:
    1. Grand Theft Auto III (PS2)
    Oh, man, this game is so great. While it's not flawless (I think some of the people graphics aren't great, there's not enough radio chatter, and the missions can be too similar), the sum is better than it's parts!
    2. Max Payne (PC)
    I've got problems with the ending, but the game is fantastic! The slow-mo bullet time gun fights are fantastic, and this game fufilled my craving for movie action in PC Games.
    3. Devil May Cry (PS2)
    Yeah, baby! A cheesy romp through a goth kids wet dream, but still amazing. This game is a Genesis side scroller trapped in a PS2 body (and, the PS2 body is fantastic.) Still, short, and the end boss was a cream puff (I had a harder time with the blob), but still fantastic.
    4. Return the Castle Wolfenstein (PC)
    Just for the multiplayer! I'm addicted (Kind of ironic, as it unhooked me from my Team Fortress addiction) to 64 player battles on the depot level! [​IMG]
    5. Tony Hawk 3 (PS2)
    As a master of the first two, it didn't take me long to beat it (I still haven't 100% however, because of the ship level), but what a sweet experience. With better graphics, some killer music (Motorhead!), massive levels, and some funny stuff hidden (listen to the construction workers in the Suburbs) it's a great game overall.
    List as many as you want. Hopefully, when I finally get to play it, Halo will go on the list, and I will finally sit down with Metal Gear Solid 2 long enough to form an opinon. After that, I may flesh out number 6-10. Throw down, people!

2. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

Yeah, I was thinking of makeing a thread like this too.
    Here's my top five picks:
    1. Star Wars Rouge Squadron II: Rogue Leader(GC)
    This game is by far the most immersive Star Wars title ever released. Graphics kick-ass, gameplay rules, and the sound will make you feel like Darth Vader on a bad hair day. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    2. Operation Flashpoint (PC)
    Drive anything, shoot anyone is the thing I liked most about this title. It also has a very good mission editor. The missions are very challenging and will have to try your damnest not to cheat, but overall it's very fun. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    3. Command and Conquer Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge (PC)
    Easily the best RTS I have ever played. I love expansion packs so much because it takes a game you have been playing, and love, for months and adds a whole new dimension. The new Yuri faction is really cool and the new missions will keep you going for hours. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    4. Madden 2002 (All Platforms)
    The best just keeps getting better, enough said.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    5. Return to Castle Wolfenstein (PC)
    This game was hyped up all year as the FPS to end all FPS's. Well it just isn't the case. It has excellent graphics and massive levels,but I hate the controls to death. I mean not being able to use your left and right arrows for strafeing instead of turning is unforgivable (if you have found a way to do this PLEASE let me know!). Other then that sin, the game is great. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I don't play PC, so I can't mention any of them. Also, I didn't play GTA3. I'll keep this short.

1. Metal Gear Solid 2

2. Final Fantasy X

3. ICO

4. Rogue Leader

5. Silent Hill 2

Its only my top 5 and I don't play too many games.

4. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I've got my controls in Wolfenstein so that the left and right arrows are strafe, and that the right mouse button is reload. Very handy. Just go into options, and select movement. It's called Move Left and Move Right.

5. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

Thanks, a lot Ike! Thats the one thing I didn't try, figures.

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

After a little thoought and revision:
    1. Silent Hill 2:
    My absolute favorite game this year. Surpassed every expectation I had for it and now I'm plowing through the game a 9th time on the X-box.
    2. Halo:
    What more can be said. It is IMHO the greatest FPS released. Hours of gameplay, excellent control (still not as good as keyboard and mouse) and you actually feel like your in a war.
    3. Dark Age of Camelot (PC):
    I was starting to think I would never get into an MMORPG. I just couldn't see myself paying for a game. Well guess what..I prepaid for 6 months[​IMG]. The most enjoyable MMORPG on the market (IMO) and I'm glad to finally have been sucked into an interesting online world. The bad part is now I'm playing Anarchy Online too[​IMG]
    4. Grand Theft Auto 3:
    We all know why its here so I'mnot gonna even say anything. (except I love sleeping with hookers and recovering health[​IMG])
    5. Max Payne (PC):
    An interactive action movie. You want to be in a John Woo movie? Play this game. If your even remotely and action fan buy this game.
    Honorable mention:
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    Devil May Cry
    Clive Barkers Undying (PC)
    Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
    Serious Sam (PC)
    Gothic (PC)

7. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

You don't only have to do 5. You can do as many as you want. I didn't mean to set the standard as 5.

8. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Here's my picks. Not in order but, the best 5 I've played all year.
    1)Halo
    2)Metal Gear Solid II
    3)ICO
    4)Grand Theft Auto III
    5)Silent Hill II
    Can't wait to see what the next generation of XBox games brings. [​IMG]

9. Ken Ingram

Ken Ingram Stunt Coordinator

Not in any order,but here we go (Drum Roll)
    Metal Gear Solid2
    Grand Turismo3
    Halo
    Tony Hawk3
    Jak & Daxter[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Kip

Kip Stunt Coordinator

Top 5, no order:

GranTurismo 3

Jak & Daxter

Max Payne (XBox)

Final Fantasy X

Tony Hawk 3

Runners Up:

NBA Street

GTA3

Halo

Rogue Squadron

MGS2

Kip

11. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

The only games that have lived up to my expectations are

1. Ico

2. Half-Life

for PS2.

12. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

1) Dance Dance Revolution MAX 6th Mix
    2) Halo
    3) Grand Theft Auto 3
    4) Castlevania: Cirlce of the Moon
    5) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
    6) Silent Hill 2
    7) Super Monkey Ball
    8) Devil May Cry
    9) Crazy Taxi 2
    10)NFL 2k2
    And for the PC besides Return to Return to Castle Wolfenstien, I'm still playing games from 1999, Age Of Empires 2 and Quake 3.....oh and I still play DOOM daily[​IMG]

13. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

1)Madden 2002(PS2)
    No game should be THIS immersive or have THIS much replay value. I have put over 400 hours into this game alone with my friend. Welcome to my sad life [​IMG]
    2)Halo(Xbox)
    The multiplayer experience is INCREDIBLE. The graphics, the sound, the fun. The only game I can die 40 times in a row on and STILL come back trying without being frustrated although the controls PALE to mouse and keyboard.
    3)NCAA College Football 2002(PS2)
    It's just fun
    4)Ghost Recon(PC)
    It's no Rogue Spear, but it's pretty good.

14. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

1. Super Smash Brothers: Melee - this game is just freakin' amazing... the graphics, the single player, the mini-games and the best multiplayer this side of a group orgy.
    2. Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader - Best Star Wars game ever made, the most amazing graphics I have ever seen, and immersive (but damn tough) gameplay.
    3. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - It is like portable Symphony of the Night II... 'nuf said [​IMG] Plus a cool card spell system.
    4. Golden Sun - The resurrection of the 2D SNES Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger RPG on Game Boy Advance... amazing RPG, encapsulating story.
    5. Conker's Bad Fur Day - simply the best graphics and a final farewell to N64... the last she-bang. Finally, an adult-oriented platform game that is actually not simulating sex and is FUN to play [​IMG]
    ...of course, you can tell that I am a Nintendo freak by my list too [​IMG]

15. Barry S

Barry S Stunt Coordinator

Gotta agree with Rob on Conker's Bad Fur Day. The game combines two of my loves. Cartoons and mature adult humor. Cutesy cartoon characters getting drunk, vomiting, pissing and shitting? Right up my alley. Bring on the GameCube sequel, Rare!!

Other good games I've played this year:

Paper Mario (N64) - A great, fun combo of adventure and RPG that you don't have to be an RPG pro to play.

Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast) - Hands down fastest game I've ever played. The graphics are beyond beautiful.

Matt Hoffman's Pro BMX (PS & DC) - Just as much fun as Tony Hawk, but there's something cooler about riding bikes I think.

Most of the other games I've been playing are older.

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Not only was Conker great for its comical appeal, but it had amazingly good gameplay. I would have put it in my top 5, but I think the other games beat it out.

17. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Yeah, Conker was the last N64 game I bought. It'll wind up in my bottom 5, when I decide to flesh them out. (I've gotta play Halo..)

18. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Here's my picks. You'll notice all of them are PS2, that's because it's the only current console I can afford right now:

1. Grand Theft Auto III: I haven't played it in a while, but it gobbled up ungodly amounts of my life for about a month after its release. I bought it the week it came out and still haven't beaten it. Simply amazing.

2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3: Digital crack, plain and simple.

3. NFL2K2: I'm a sucker for football and VC, so this is a no-brainer. Say what you will about its options and graphics as compared to Madden, but it absolutely wipes the floor in the most important category: gameplay.

4. Jak and Daxter: What a graphical achievement. Tried and true mechanics + astoudning visuals + open-endedness with a dash of wit = the best 3D platformer since Mario 64 and maybe the best ever.

5. Max Payne: Looking at the bland graphics in the PS2 version compared to the XBox almost makes me want to fork over $300 to Billy Boy, but alas I'm stuck with the PS2's version. While it's not without it's problems, this game is pure adrenaline and has a hell of a lot better story than MGS2.

Which leads us to:

Biggest Dissapointment: Metal Gear Solid 2

Maybe I'm a idiot, but just keeping track of the names of all the characters and organizations was more challenging than the actual game itself. I consider myself to be a pretty smart guy, but about 3/4 of the storyline sailed right over my head. And I don't care what anyone says, but the point of playing an MGS game is to be SOLID SNAKE, no one else. Honestly, I would have been a lot happier with a jazzed-up re-release of the original MGS.

19. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

Once again I'm going to place my game of the year vote for:
    Grand Theft Auto III - Simply amazing. Easily the best game of the year in a year of good games. It is better than I was hoping for when I heard they were doing it.
    My runners up are:
    Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 - Another Tony Hawk game! Whoo hoo!
    Uh oh, I'm matching Andrew's list, better throw in a curveball...
    Twisted Metal: Black - This game still gets the most play when friends are over. Single player is fun, and all the multiplayer modes make it great!
    Ok, ok, here it is...
    Halo - Wicked fun! I don't usually get much of a kick out of first person shooters, but this game is different.
    Now here is where I'd probably place my vote for Super Monkeyball or some such thing if I'd played Gamecube this year (it's hard to go wrong with monkeys), but as I haven't I'll throw in yet another PS2 game. I imagine FFX would win if I'd played it, but I haven't so I can't vote for it. Alright, this is my vote...
    GT3 - Brought the Grand Turismo series to the PS2 in a big way. So much fun with a steering wheel, although, I can't be sure that it's more fun than a barrel (or ball) of monkeys.

20. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

1. Halo

2. Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams

3. Grand Theft Auto 3

4. Final Fantasy X

5. Diablo II

6. Twisted Metal: Black

7. Metal Gear Solid 2

8. Tony Hawk 3

9. Max Payne

Special Catergories:

Biggest Surprise - Xbox.

Best Graphics - DoA3.

Best Sound - Halo.

Best Story - (Tie) Silent Hill 2 / Final Fantasy X.

Best Special Effect - the flashlight in SH2: Restless Dreams

Biggest Disappointment - (Tie) MGS2 / Luigi's Mansion.

Worst Missed Opportunity - Azurik: Rise of Perathia