What's new

top/bottom bars on widescreen RPTV??? (1 Viewer)

jeff ha

Auditioning
I'm really new to this and therefore this may be a really silly question...

I've got a new I've got a new Panny 47" widescreen (PT47WX53) and am really blown away with the picture I'm getting out of my DVD player and even digital cable. Its even better than I had expected - once I did some basic setup with the AVIA disc.

I've only got 4 DVD's currently:
1)Avia
2)Shrek double special edition
3)Die Another Day double SE
4)Daredevil double SE

What has me confused is that I expected to get a full screen image with a 16:9 formatted widescreen movie with the TV's Aspect setting to FULL. The Bond film indicates 16:9 but still has narrow top/bottom black bars when viewed. I expected some less than full screen viewing on other aspect ratios but thought that I'd get full screen images on 16:9 formats without going into ZOOM which looks pretty cheezy.

Bottom line is that I'm either confused by aspect ratios altogether or I don't have my DVD or TV settings correct. I want to maximize my viewing potential. Any thoughts?

I'm also worried about the small black bars at the top/bottom of the screen causing burn-in problems as they are truly black and not grey like the 4:3 side bars when viewing TV formats. Is this a legitimate concern?

Thanks for any advice that you can offer.

Jeff

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

You are confusing the term aspect ratio and anamorphically enhanced. Enhanced for 16:9 TV's does not mean will fit the screen.

Some films are shot with an AR of 2.35:1 which is greater than your TV which is 1.78:1.

IF the film AR does not equal the TV's AR ... then you will always see bars ... either top/bottom or left/right.

As for burn in ... I have not yet seen any TV that has suffered w/s bar burn in ... especially if you keep the contrast down.

REgards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks