What's new

Westly T

Second Unit
The XMC-2 or the RMC-1L (with upgraded surround channels vs the XMC-2) provide amazing sound. They will likely sound better to most than the Anthem, definitely better than Marantz. Denon and Yamaha will fall under those even on the flagship models. I’ve never actually heard the Anthem so that’s just based on what I’ve heard from others, they should be close though. The trade off with Emotiva will be speed in switching inputs, delays in locking onto digital signals when they change, waiting on it to boot up if you don’t keep video active, and the need to “reboot” it on occasion/glitches. Emo had a number of issues when it came out, most of which have been addressed. I still see delays where the first seconds of a movie intro or song get muted while it’s locking onto the signal. Upgrades are offered on the Emo stuff, so when you need 8K they should offer an upgrade board.

I seriously considered the Marantz 7xxx series as my experience with their ability to switch inputs, lock onto the digital signal, and over all great functionality as well as being glitch free is a big perk. I’m not overly thrilled with a receiver that boots an OS and the things that come with it, but in the end it was sound quality vs price. The RMC-1 / 1L uses the AKM 4490’s in a mono, fully balanced configuration dedicating one stereo chip to each channel, so it is a truly balanced configuration. To me there is a clear superiority in the sound quality to any other surround setup I’ve heard.

The Emotiva RMC-1L has a promotion for $500 off with the trade in of any surround receiver/pre with HDMI - working or not in October. Also Emo also uses Dirac versus Audyssey, and while it’s a more involved process, to me it provides results that are hugely better sounding than Audyssey. I’ve never been at all happy with the results of Audyssey and have even just turned it off. Lastly I like that Emotiva is a US company, and I’ve had good experiences working with support to date. They were professional, knowledgeable, and straight forward. I had no problem getting through to them, but their business hours are limited for those on the west coast. This said, if perfect execution and quick response switching inputs, locking signals, and never having to reboot or boot up are a priority, the Marantz will still sound great - I was really on the fence and the promo really helped me go for the RMC-1L vs the AV7706 or AV8805A. I’d also love to hear the Anthem but how is support in the US? I’m also curious about Rotel, I hear very little about them and can’t even find one in my area.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The XMC-2 or the RMC-1L (with upgraded surround channels vs the XMC-2) provide amazing sound. They will likely sound better to most than the Anthem, definitely better than Marantz. Denon and Yamaha will fall under those even on the flagship models. I’ve never actually heard the Anthem so that’s just based on what I’ve heard from others, they should be close though. The trade off with Emotiva will be speed in switching inputs, delays in locking onto digital signals when they change, waiting on it to boot up if you don’t keep video active, and the need to “reboot” it on occasion/glitches. Emo had a number of issues when it came out, most of which have been addressed. I still see delays where the first seconds of a movie intro or song get muted while it’s locking onto the signal. Upgrades are offered on the Emo stuff, so when you need 8K they should offer an upgrade board.

I seriously considered the Marantz 7xxx series as my experience with their ability to switch inputs, lock onto the digital signal, and over all great functionality as well as being glitch free is a big perk. I’m not overly thrilled with a receiver that boots an OS and the things that come with it, but in the end it was sound quality vs price. The RMC-1 / 1L uses the AKM 4490’s in a mono, fully balanced configuration dedicating one stereo chip to each channel, so it is a truly balanced configuration. To me there is a clear superiority in the sound quality to any other surround setup I’ve heard.

The Emotiva RMC-1L has a promotion for $500 off with the trade in of any surround receiver/pre with HDMI - working or not in October. Also Emo also uses Dirac versus Audyssey, and while it’s a more involved process, to me it provides results that are hugely better sounding than Audyssey. I’ve never been at all happy with the results of Audyssey and have even just turned it off. Lastly I like that Emotiva is a US company, and I’ve had good experiences working with support to date. They were professional, knowledgeable, and straight forward. I had no problem getting through to them, but their business hours are limited for those on the west coast. This said, if perfect execution and quick response switching inputs, locking signals, and never having to reboot or boot up are a priority, the Marantz will still sound great - I was really on the fence and the promo really helped me go for the RMC-1L vs the AV7706 or AV8805A. I’d also love to hear the Anthem but how is support in the US? I’m also curious about Rotel, I hear very little about them and can’t even find one in my area.
I would LOVE to be able to try an Emotiva processor. Unfortunately, their bumpy track record regarding processors makes me hesitant. I have an Emotiva era Sherbourn PT-7030, which is an outstanding sounding, no-frills processor, but it was always glitchy. Source switching was annoyingly slow, having the same long delay locking on to audio as you mentioned with the current models. Sometimes it would just lock up and I'd have to turn it off/on to get it going again. I guess I could get $500 for it from them on an RMC-1L. I'm just not in the market for that right now. Still, if I was and the choice was between that and the Monolith, I'd probably go with the Emotiva.

Westly T

Second Unit
I believe the Monolith HTP-1 was designed by Trinnov, I think it is much faster at switching and locking on, don’t think it has on screen, and has very good sound. I’d love to hear it! I’d think it would have less bugs, but getting support seems like it might be an issue. Having a complex unit designed by a different company than the one selling it doesn’t seem like a great situation. I know getting parts & support for the Monolith headphones I have seems non-existent past a warranty return. I also highly doubt they will offer any upgrades for the future, this is why I didn’t go down that route. I’m also concerned with parts quality, I feel like Emotiva has improved stuff like the crappy cap’s they had when they were made in China. I’m hoping they have something to prove now and with the switch to US manufacturing have also improved parts quality over early stuff. I guess time will tell how they hold up… Small manufacturers have a very hard time making HDMI and digital compatibility work great out of the gate. The early adopters are the test, they simply can’t test it with a wide enough group of equipment like the big boys. If you look at Schiit Audio, they clearly say why they don’t touch HDMI or make processors - it’s quite the can of worms. Outlaw didn’t have the best go at it either…

Last edited:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
Reading this thread makes me feel such a dinosaur... I'm still using a Marantz SR8002...

No, that's not a typo... ;)
That just means you got your money's worth! I think next year will be a good time to upgrade once HDMI 2.1 support is fully baked and 8K compatibility isn't hit or miss. The next generation of products should be closer to what we'd expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eshotwell
Recent bookmarks