What's new

Top 50 votes for Paramount Poll (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Look, I'm a mark (so to speak) for John Hughes as much as the next person. I'm just tickled that STAINS finished higher than his yet-unreleased Paramount properties, especially seeing how much darker a teen comedy/drama it is than Hughes' comparatively sunnier work. Remember, I said that in a Homer Simpson voice, it's not to be taken literally. Don't have a cow, man.
------------------
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
There shouldn't be any complaining over what came where in the 'poll' and to be honest it's very disappointing to see the eye-rolls just because your own favourite title was in a lower position that another.
More people voted for title X than title Y - where is the problem? Is this not what a poll is for?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
If you saw a poll that put Battlefield Earth ahead of Citizen Kane, wouldn't you roll your eyes? It seems to me just a way of expressing opinion about various films, both positive and negative, something we do all the time here.
For myself, as long as To Catch a Thief gets out and gets done right, I'll be a happy camper.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
George: The results of the poll aren't supposed to be indicative of quality.
I personally voted for titles like "April Fool's Day" because there is little doubt in my mind that better-known and respected films like "The Elephant Man" will see life on DVD. A number of the horror titles mentioned never saw release on Laserdisc, and VHS versions, if they were released at all, are long since out-of-print.
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

Lafe F

Second Unit
Many of them are on my wanted list:
Friday The 13th Part VII (uncut) (57)
Four Flies on Grey Velvet (54)
Don't Look Now (30)
My Bloody Valentine (Uncut) (29)
Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy (23)
April Fool's Day (18)
Let's Scare Jessica to Death (14)
Brady Bunch Movies (11)
Hellraiser 3: Hell on Earth (uncut) (10)
The only one I would add is Popeye. Would that be considered mainstream or B-grade?

MikeyW

Agent
Well, being a huge horror fan, I'm glad to see 4 flies, F13 7 (uncut), and My Bloody Valentine (uncut) so high. But I wish I would have seen more Eddie Murphy titles. And Elephant Man MUCH higher.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Apparently, the Eddie Murphy titles (save for the "48 HRS" films) are tied up in some sort of legal limbo; that's why they're not on the list, as Martin asked us not to include them for that reason.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think the big reason why they aren't releasing uncut F13 is because Blockbuster and Walmart refuse to carry NC-17 stuff (which these would be classified as). They want their squeaky-clean image, let them have it
wink.gif

Jeff Kleist

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I didn't vote for Elephant Man even though it is probably my most wanted Paramount title next to Four Flies On Gray Velvet. There have been numerous reports that it is already scheduled, so I didn't want to waste my vote.
Jeff

Chris Kr

Agent
I counted 9 votes for pretty in pink instead of your six, excluding someone who voted twice. Furthermore, Black Sheep received 3 votes - 4 if you count someone who used 2 of his 5 votes on it. Not to mention the fact that many of the movies with high vote totals are from people who felt free to ignore the "5 vote limit" and submitted a list of 10 - 20 films. Had everyone done so, I'm sure pretty in pink and many othere films would be near the top. Seems like you have selectively "tallied" the results to the poll. Hopefully Martin has done a much better job counting than you have.

sadly, I think mine was the only vote for It's All True, the Paramount-distributed documentary reconstruction of the infamous Orson Welles project that resulted in Magnificent Ambersons being butchered by the studio in his absence (I think it was Ambersons...). This one really needed the votes--we may not see it on DVD in my lifetime (unless they license it to a smaller distributor...Criterion!)!
ALSO: If... got a number of votes, as I recall (at least 8?), and I don't see that on the list (another tough sell, for political reasons).

Lafe F

Second Unit
May I suggest a poll #2 then? Paramount hasn't released the results from the first poll. People would be limited to 5 requests each, and I would get a chance to vote for Popeye and four others.

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
Screw Blockcen$or, Wal-Mart and everyone who uses that stupid policy!!!!!!!!!
Release both versions of the movie or just the uncut version for christ sakes. Put both versions on the same disc/set if you have to(they'll cary them then) or seperatly so the true fans don't have to sit through the sanatized version,when it's not supposed to be a kids movie in the first place! Stop worrying about if kids will see them or people who don't even like the film complain ect. Let the parent decide what they see,not you.
note-being sarcastic here since it really boggles my mind that studios make it so complicated to release uncut movies. I guess they care only about the $$$ and nothing more,so great movies continuee to ge butchured and not released in complete original form
frown.gif

Will they ever learn??????

Chris Kr

Agent
Although i completely agree that films should be released uncut, I must admit that i was really ticked off that Fast Times At Ridgemont High had the extra scenes for tv taken out. The tv version was the only one i'd seen, and i couldn't believe that these scenes weren't in the original.
But I would kill to have the original blade runner!

Will K

Screenwriter
The more and more that I read posts on here about the poll results, I am beginning to understand why Mr. Blythe himself is getting a bit agitated.
I know that for my votes, I followed the rules and kept mine to the five. It seems that there are a lot of bitterness going on because people either didn't know about the poll because they weren't on the forum at the time, or simply because their favorite pet film didn't get a high number.
It seems that there are a lot of people that are upset that the horror titles ranked as high as they did. Sorry, that is what people voted on. The numbers are there, deal with it. I'm sure Mr. Blythe/Paramount would tell you of the requests for Friday the 13th Part VII to be released uncut.
When the poll was opened, the request was for B titles. That is what was given to them to consider. Having a second poll only devalues what has already been said and it isn't fair for those that did the poll when it was open and did it properly.
There are many titles on the poll that are on their way anyway. The Elephant Man is reportedly coming fourth quarter. Pretty is Pink is a mainstream title that will be considered nonetheless.
Besides, please consider that the "regular" titles on the list will be considered and processed a lot faster than the uncut horror titles. Read between the lines and you will see.

Lafe F

Second Unit
Please add Popeye to the list of requests. Thank you.
[Edited last by Lafe F on July 28, 2001 at 09:17 PM]

Iggy_P

Auditioning
You have overlooked one of the favorite movies??
The italian masterpiece DANGER: DIABOLIK received more than 30 votes, but features nowhere on the list ????
????

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
I had DIABOLIK in there originally. It must've been accidentally deleted during a modification.
I've added it back and bumped PRETTY IN PINK up to 9 votes.
Note: I ignored the 5 vote limit because how was I to pick which five they wanted? The first five? The last five? I simply counted everything on each list (not if they tried to second it) that had the majority of the votes and knocked it down to around fifty.
If I understand Mr. Blythe's post correctly all of these titles will be submitted. 20 or so horror (genre) and 30 or so regular including tv (SHOGUN, CHEERS, POLICE SQUAD).
So it doesn't really matter where they ended up on the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks