What's new

Top 5 Remaster Wish List (1 Viewer)

Mitty

Supporting Actor
List 'em here:
Here are mine:
1. Oklahoma! (20th Century Fox) - Lousy transfer.
2. The Sting (Universal) - full frame release, plus there are supplements that have been created for this film.
3. Goodfellas (Warner Bros.) - flipper, featureless, non-anamorphic.
4. The Gold Rush (1925 - Chaplin) - the original intertitled version sans narration. I like that the 1942 version is available for posterity, but I really prefer the original.
5. Pocahontas & The Little Mermaid (Disney) - alright, I cheated. Both lousy transfers, missing a wealth of supplements that were included on LD releases.
Of course, there are others I'd love to see get the remaster treatment (The Last Emperor, My Dinner With Andre, every MAR release, etc.) and many that are being attended to, but these are my top "five." Numbers 1 and 2 aren't even in my collection because they're such disappointing releases.
You?

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Unforgiven - It's coming soon!
They Live - It's an OK transfer, but it has no 5.1 and zero features.
Pulp Fiction - Another one that's right around the corner.
The Shadow - Pan & Scan only. :angry:
The Right Stuff - Shit transfer.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Not including titles that were announced such as Unforgiven, Pulp Fiction, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, etc. I'd say mine are
Goodfellas
Blade Runner
Raging Bull
Zulu
Scarface
All of which I'd be more than happy to upgrade. :)
There are many more I could list but you only asked for Top 5.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
The Puppetmaster (Hou Hsiao-hsien) - Fox Lorber's worst job. And that's saying something.
Ashes of Time (Wong Kar-wai) - Unwatchable.
A Woman Under the Influence (John Cassavetes) - Ugly picture quality and pan-and-scan, too.
After Life (Hirokazu Kore-eda) - Wrong aspect ratio and too many dust specks for such a recent film.
Citizen Kane - This looks too smooth and digitized. Grain is an inherent part of film. It isn't a bad thing; it's what gives movies their unique look and totally removing it just makes film look like video.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Goodfellas
Raging Bull
Mean Streets
Pulp Fiction
Sling Blade
The Abyss
Blade Runner
Titanic

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Guys:
I'm happy that a remastered Amadeus will be released this fall. I hope it will not take a theatrical re-release or an anniversary (the latter was the case for Unforgiven) for Warner to remaster the already-mentioned above Goodfellas and The Right Stuff, mentions which I strongly echo.
Crimson Tide and He Got Game were both victims of Di$ney's early wallowing in non-anamorphia. Mouschwitz screwed up Tide all over the world: in R2 it's anamorphic but the aspect ratio is wrong. An Academy Award nominee for Best Sound, there was a DTS LD of this movie. An anamorphic remaster with a DTS audio track and some of Hans Zimmer's awesome score under the menus is long overdue. How much more juiced in do you have to be than Jerry Bruckheimer in order to get Di$ney to do right by your movies on DVD?!
Finally, I echo the mention above of Titanic. Yes, although Stereophile Guide To Home Theater's Tom Norton says there's nothing about the video qulaity of the current DVD that should keep you from buying it . . . it's still non-anamorphic and I find that and the current disc's lack of supplements to be unconscionable . . . especially after Paramount made us wait 18 months for this pic's DVD release. "You can be blase about some things . . . but not about Titanic."
Cheers,
Paul

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Either for better transfers, the addition of 16x9 enhancement, or to remedy incorrect aspect ratios; I'd like to see:
Chariots of Fire - Where, oh where, is the rumored SE for this title? The current release is a zoomed open matte abomination that completely destroys the composition of the images in this film. I really want this release.
The English Patient - Another SE re-release that I want very badly, for 16x9 enhancement, advances in DVD transfer technology, and supplements. ( Hopefully no later than next year. (sigh) )
The Sting
Raging Bull - still waiting for the new 16x9 SE.
There are any number of Disney and Paramount titles that I'd like to see re-released with 16x9 enhancement, at a minimum, and hopefully some supplementary material.
- Walter.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Goodfellas
Scarface
Jack Ryan trilogy
Dazed and Confused - DD 2.0 only, ONLY. With no extras - hello, PCM is a DVD standard sound option, why use a DD 2.0 instead if there isn't a space problem. Oh, non-anamorphic to boot. I still own the LD instead.
Ran - we will see what the "new" version looks like if we can ever buy it outside the stupid gift set thing that's going on there. :frowning:
Let me cheat and add one - Trainspotting. What a waste of a DVD from what could be.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Agree with Donald on Ashes of Time. I didn't even try to watch it, shut it off after about 5 minutes it's that awful.
A Woman Under The Influence, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Opening Night - The Pioneer Cassavetes discs are a travesty.
Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, High & Low - Early Criterion discs not up to current standards. Compare any of these to Hidden Fortress and they come up very short.
All of F/L releases of Eric Rohmer's Moral Tales and Comedies & Proverbs. They range from passable to atrocious.

nousername

Supporting Actor
  1. Vertigo (Sad to know that Robert Harris thinks it's a waste of money to re-issue this in anamorphic.)
  2. Psycho (1960 version. Same reason as above.)
  3. Titanic
  4. Raging Bull
  5. Goodfellas
  6. The Deer Hunter
  7. Big (Currently pan-and-scan only.)
  8. Sea of Love (1989 version. Same reason as above.)[/list=1]

Okay, I know this is more than 5 but...:D

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
The Jerk
The Sting
Happy Gilmore
National Lampoon's Vacation movies
A Christmas Story

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Andrew:
I previously said in a now-edited post above:
) an anniversary . . . said:
For clarity's sake, that parenthetical could have been better placed. I've edited my post above accordingly.
There was no theatrical re-release of Unforgiven. Warner is marketing the remastered Unforgiven as the "10th Anniversary Edition." Check The Bits' July 9 11 a.m. post for box cover art.
Cheers,
Paul

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da FLASH AaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!
I gotta own a Flash Gordon SE!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks